• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First Napa... now Sonoma!

s'kat

My husband and I (and by I, I mean "I"), are planning a trip out to California's wine country. Initially, husband was gung ho about hanging out in Napa. Today, he tells me that he might like Sonoma just a bit more. :wacko: And, um, that 'we' should really look at staying there. :wink:

As I haven't researched Sonoma in the slightest, and feel that I have about a week to get the reservation together (plan to stay for five nights during the last week of May. Yeah, that's right, the very beginning of tourist season.), I'm in need of a little direction. Did a search on Sonoma, found a couple of threads, but not really the lodging info I was seeking...

As we will be staying five nights, I definately would prefer to keep nightly fees under $200 if possible. Any experience with B&B's, or other places of lodging greatly appreciated. Places in and around Sonoma? Sure, I'd love to hear about them as well! :biggrin:

I was just there earlier this month (Napa and Sonoma), had lunch at the General's Daughter and stopped in next door to see Ramekins and the bed & breakfast. The rates might be slightly over your price range, but the rooms were cozy and beautiful. Personally, I'd rather be closer to Napa if you want to be in the heart of it all. I stayed in Sonoma (with family) and it was a 45 min. drive everyday to St. Helena. There are lots of places to stay in Napa, or you can go the spa thing further north in Calistoga. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I love it up there! K

If you stayed in Sonoma why did you go to St Helena? There's lots to see and do in Sonoma. Much history and fine wineries. Better food too. A local boy's opinion.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Sadly, I've never had occasion to stay at any of the local fineries, but you MUST eat at Sonoma Saveur for lunch one day (or two or three...) I'll probably be at GunBun at least one day that you are here - while the May schedule is not finished yet, when it gets closer, PM me and I'll let you know.

You're forgiven cause you were at the CIA. But do come back and visit.

Bruce Frigard

If you stayed in Sonoma why did you go to St Helena? There's lots to see and do in Sonoma. Much history and fine wineries. Better food too. A local boy's opinion.

I have to agree. I live in Napa and tend to enjoy Sonoma more. It seems to have become waaaay to touristy and commerical over on this side of the hills.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

I much prefer Sonoma to Napa. Plus, if you stay in the town of Sonoma proper, it's a much nicer town (with a good cheese store and a good bakery) than the city of Napa. Healdsburg as well is a nice little town with good restaurants and shops. You can certainly find a place to stay for under $200. Even some of the nicer B&Bs have rooms for that price.

Napa is more built up and more touristy. Sonoma has everything from wineries to beaches. try to spend some time on the back roads, you wont be sorry. Sonoma and Marin both have lots of farms and beautiful pasture lands.

We stay in Sonoma at the BW Sonoma valley for about $125 a night. large comfy rooms with fireplace or spa in room. Try this link for more choices

http://www.sonomavalleyvisitors.com

D

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

Comparing Napa and Sonoma is kind of silly. They both produce wine and are close to each other but each offers distinct advantages.

Sonoma is a huge county and has many personalities. Napa is a sliver of a county and has a more unified feel.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

So, s'kat, do you prefer bustling or quiet lodgings?

Sorry to take so long to get back to this thread! I appreciate everyone's input thus far, and have spent the past few days doing some internet research (followed the links some kindly eGulleter's sent my way- thank you!).

Tana, I'm a lot like you. Days spent tripping about town/wineries, with the promise of retreating to a safe and quiet abode. In fact, with that in mind, I've been able to find several vacation rental cottages that look very interesting. The fact that they come with equipped kitchens is a huge bonus- even in as idyllic a place as Sonoma, I don't know that I would necessarily want to eat out every night. As soon as I can persuade my husband to review these with me, the accomodations should be taken care of by this weekend. :biggrin:

I'm very much looking forward to my time in wine country. Time to hit up those old restaurant threads!

If you are like me, s'kat, stay in the beautiful little town of Jenner. It's at the end of the Russian River, and it is one of the most beautiful little nowhere spots on earth. Rent one of the cottages from the Jenner Inn. (The best thing about Jenner is that cell phones don't work there. I personally welcome that when I'm on a retreat.)

Eat at least one meal at River's End restaurant (winner of Wine Spectator's Award of Excellence 2002). You can't miss it: it's at the mouth of the Russian River overlooking the ocean. Everything is local, organic and seasonal, and lovingly prepared. We had one absolutely stellar meal there one night.

Photo taken from the balcony at River's End

View from inside River's End

A great view of the river at sunset

River's End also rents little cabins there, but I haven't seen inside them.

We bustled about Sonoma county all day, and then drove out, following the Russian River, to the coast. It was so sweet, so lazy, so quiet. The loudest thing there was the ocean.

River's End recipe for fennel slaw at Epicurious

Travel & Leisure write-up of Napa and Sonoma:

The food is fabulous, with dishes that run from vegetarian to wild game. The setting is even better. Perched on a cliff, the restaurant overlooks an inlet where scores of drowsy seals loll around on the beach.

Hope that helps!

Western Sonoma is unbelievably beautiful, however it is some what remote at the end of windy roads which can hamper trips out for things like diner and wine. Maybe do a 3 day near Sonoma and 3 out at Jenner. Here is a link Coastal to a guy that rents Houses in the area. We stayed in one ( ocean waves) outside Bodega and loved it . I can give you some ideas from our trip if you like or look here

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=33663&st=0&

But do not think you are going to cruise over to the plaza in Sonoma or to other points east that easily. It is a long drive. I visited friends in Petaluma from our place in Bodega and it was almost an hour without summer traffic.

Enjoy,

D

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

There is something to be said for splitting your trip up into halves. And driving on winding roads.

So with that in mind, perhaps staying in one of the recommended locations is worth it. I don't know those lodgings so well, but I do know that The Girl & The Fig is the place that most of my foodie friends at Readerville exclaim about.

You can take 128 south to Calistoga from there and be in the upper Napa valley. Mud baths and Massages. You have a great time on your trip. Keep us informed.

Bruce Frigard

An excellent choice. i havent been there in about 10 years, but it was and probably still is the least built-up area. Has great beer, food, wine and nature. As to Calistoga mud baths all I can say is, Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. If you like to get clean , mellow and relaxed from the inside out treat yourselves to an hour or two. We used to go to what was then the only co-ed baths I think called 7th street baths? Others will have better info or google it. Most food in Calistoga is so-so or it was last time I was there about 3 or 4 years ago. First trip was '79 and Calistoga was ,and still is a tiny town. However back then it was a mix of hip / wine types and very rustic country types. Was nice. However up the road towords Alexander Valley there are endless food choices. Try to cruise out to the coast for a day, go to Rivers End for lunch then cruise down the coast to Hog island for Oysters then to Pt. Reyes for Cow Girl Creamery and Palace mkt. pies. Beautiful ride but could be foggy by later May. Is fogged in most of June. As Mark Twain said "The coldest winter of my life was a summer in S.F.". So bring sweaters for the coast also at night up there it gets cool ( 50ish)

All this makes me want to get in the car and cruise up. If only I had the week off.

D

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man