• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee Milk

Carolyn Tillie

You have done well, my child. <Lifting sword to annoint thee>

Even moreso with the inclusion of the phone number on the bottle... Some investigative research has enlightened She Who Is Your Queen and that sacred knowledge will now be dispensed amongst my most worthy and humble subjects.

Coffee Time (according to They Who Manufacture) is a bit stronger and contains "a bit more coffee extract" therein. Autocrat is "a bit sweeter."

Methinks a side-by-side analysis might prove only marginal differences, but joyous is the rapture and herald the triumphant trumpets throughout the land.

When next we meet, and my large amethyst ring you do lay your lips upon, I will bestow upon you the secret password and handshake...

You have done well, my child. <Lifting sword to annoint thee>

Even moreso with the inclusion of the phone number on the bottle... Some investigative research has enlightened She Who Is Your Queen and that sacred knowledge will now be dispensed amongst my most worthy and humble subjects.

Majesty... :curtsey:

I am delighted I was able to serve the royal cause.

Coffee Time (according to They Who Manufacture) is a bit stronger and contains "a bit more coffee extract" therein. Autocrat is "a bit sweeter."

It is well. Indeed I am well-pleased to be drinking that which is slightly stronger and less sweet; it befits not only my humble station but also my plebeian taste buds.

Methinks a side-by-side analysis might prove only marginal differences, but joyous is the rapture and herald the triumphant trumpets throughout the land.

Methinks this fortuitously-discovered alternative may well prove to be a GREAT deal better than nothing - especially if a benign Providence ( :wink: ) should will that it be distributed unto the purveyors in the royal demesne. And should it be so, I trust your majesty will apprise us of the fortunate event.

When next we meet, and my large amethyst ring you do lay your lips upon, I will bestow upon you the secret password and handshake...

It will be an incalculable privilege. (Note to humble self: bring own large amethyst ring along; it may yet turn out that there's more than one queen in this hive.) Perhaps that will also be the occasion for the side-by-side ceremony of which you speak.

O, hasten the day!

COFFEE MILK THREAD!!! :wub::wub:

I have no idea how I could have missed this.

I spent all of my summers in Rhode Island, with my grandparents. My mother lives there now, as well. Coffee milk and fluffernutters were two of the things my cousins and I would look forward to the most, as kids.

Autocrat. Always has to be Autocrat!!

BTW, Naval uh, grocery stores (the word fails me right now... duh) evidently carry it. I was informed of this a few years after I got a friend's kid addicted to the stuff. :laugh: (seriously, one of my joys in life is bringing home small bottles of it and giving it away as gifts. People think it's so weird, they never want to try it, but when they finally do... haha. It's my little way of putting RI on the map for those folks who seem to honestly believe that it is an island. :rolleyes: )

and uh. I sure can't get it here in Germany. I'll add it to my list of things to pick up next time I'm in the States. mmm.

Yup - and hey, we have military bases in Germany. Cultivate the right crowd and it might solve your problem.

Well, this Long Islander is hooked - admittedly it's Coffee Time, which as discussed above both is and isn't Autocrat - but anyway, I'm hooked. Carolyn, have you looked for CT in your area and made a comparison?

A couple of small decadences. I drink my morning coffee with milk, and I heat the milk separately; I don't sweeten. At least, I never did. Now I put a slug of coffee syrup in the milk before I heat it. Doesn't sweeten much, but adds... well, you'd have to try it, is all I can say.

The other I haven't even tried yet, but I've been enjoying the fantasy. Thinking about the thread devoted to Hot Milk with Dulce de Leche, I mentally add "and Coffee Syrup" to the title. I could be wrong about this, but I have a feeling it's a ménage à trois made in heaven. :wub::wub:

Off topic, but my father in law loves regaling me with tales of how rough things were in the old days when they only had coffee soup to eat. I guess it was a combo of coffee, milk and old bread. How enticing!

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

I grew up on Coffee Milk (in Milton, MA). We only used Coffee Time syrup, but back then it was in great dark brown glass bottles with yellow script. It's the only kind of flavored milk I would drink.

Edited by bushey (log)

Carolyn, have you looked for CT in your area and made a comparison?

Not only can I not find Coffee Time in California, I can't find ANY of the others! That is why I have friends bring it to me when they travel...

This is *Napa* after all... something as lovely as Coffee Milk is way too bourgeois these snobs. :hmmm:

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

ahhh yes, 'commissary' is the word that was eluding me. Thanks, Tryksa. :smile:

On another international note, I found 'iced coffee' in South Australia (the state, although it is available in other states down there, it doesn't seem as pervasive as it was in SA), which was pretty much our coffee milk. It wasn't quite as sweet as our version (gee, what a surprise, we Americans made something sweet :smile: ), but it was still addictive. I had the low-fat version almost every day at lunch.

mmm good times.

I should also admit that my devotion to Autocrat is purely out of nostalgia. I also just happen to like the ancient label that all of the bottles sport; the logo hasn't changed in my lifetime, I don't think. (in fact, I sense an avatar change, once Easter has passed! I know I have the pic here somewhere, because I used to use it on my journal site :raz: )

http://www.autocrat.com/pages/sales.asp

According to that, Autocrat runs the entire coffee syrup industry. such as it is. :laugh:

Coffee cabinets were also a fave. It's like a milkshake, but thicker.

A coffee syrup - cup of coffee sounds sinful. I'll have to try that.

I grew up on Coffee Milk (in Milton, MA). We only used Coffee Time syrup, but back then it was in great dark brown glass bottles with yellow script. It's the only kind of flavored milk I would drink.

Hey, I went to school in Milton, MA! :wub::wub::wub:

Thinking about the thread devoted to Hot Milk with Dulce de Leche, I mentally add "and Coffee Syrup" to the title. I could be wrong about this, but I have a feeling it's a ménage à trois made in heaven.

It might be a little on the cloying side, if you're using sweetened coffee syrup. I'd be tempted to try a big mug of hot milk with a shot of very strong espresso and a sizeable glob of DdL stirred in. But that does start to sound a little Starbucksy.

It might be a little on the cloying side, if you're using sweetened coffee syrup. I'd be tempted to try a big mug of hot milk with a shot of very strong espresso and a sizeable glob of DdL stirred in. But that does start to sound a little Starbucksy.

Add some booze and you've got Starsky and Hootch.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Thinking about the thread devoted to Hot Milk with Dulce de Leche, I mentally add "and Coffee Syrup" to the title. I could be wrong about this, but I have a feeling it's a ménage à trois made in heaven.

Perilously so! :wink:

I don't know, you may have a point about the syrup. Fortunately, it isn't as sweet as you might expect - at least the Coffee Time I'm using isn't - otherwise I don't think I could drink it in my coffee, which ordinarily I would never sweeten at all. I suppose if I'd thought seriously about it (and "I avoid serious thought like the plague"), what I had in mind was probably substituting a small amount of CT for a small amount of the DdL, rather than adding it to the glob of DdL - thus perhaps slightly lessening the aggregate sweetness of the result! But now, curse it all, I'm actually going to have to do it, because the question has been raised and will not be easily lowered again without some hard data to appease it.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyway, I see that Trader Joe's has been selling a brand of what they're calling "Coffee Flavored Milk" but I feel strange about trying an imposter product. Anyone seen a syrup outside of Rhody?

"Coffee-flavored milk"?

(Insert your favorite Starbucks joke here) :wacko:

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org