• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confession Time: Share Your Culinary "Sins"

jhlurie

Yvonne, we posted more or less simultaneously, and your explanations are much better than mine.  Blame the Welsh for faggots - good idea.  I certainly ate a lot when I was in Bristol, and as the Bristolians had not succeeded in their campaign to make the Severn Bridge one-way, some of these may have come from Wales.

Quote: from Wilfrid on 12:13 pm on Jan. 16, 2002

I am slightly ashamed of the only burger I will willingly eat from one of the big chains - the Burger King Double Whopper with cheese, which always seems to soak through the bottom half of the bun.  

how about this:  i'm eating one right now!! do i win something!?!?!

i find it interesting that judging from the tone of these posts, most of us are actually somewhat *proud* of the crap we put down out gullets!!  

Heh.  Pringles? I gotcher Pringles right here, bahbee.

I've used them to stand in for tuiles with creme fraiche and salmon roe. Folk loved 'em.

Bwa-ha-haaa.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

All this talk about Annies vs. Kraft mac-n-cheese.  Definitely Annies wins "elbows" down, but you must add in your own extra grated cheddar cheese and, not to be a pigs in blanket-wannabe, but also cut up pieces of hot dog and mix it all together in a bowl.  If no one else is home, put some ketchup on it.  It's been awhile since I've done it, but it sure sounds good round about now.

Quote: from tommy on 12:18 pm on Jan. 16, 2002

i find it interesting that judging from the tone of these posts, most of us are actually somewhat *proud* of the crap we put down out gullets!!  

Speak for yourself!!!  Me, I'm ashamed of every Chicken McNugget I've ever eaten!

(Edited by jhlurie at 2:44 pm on Jan. 17, 2002)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Quote: from tommy on 9:18 am on Jan. 16, 2002
Quote: from Wilfrid on 12:13 pm on Jan. 16, 2002

I am slightly ashamed of the only burger I will willingly eat from one of the big chains - the Burger King Double Whopper with cheese, which always seems to soak through the bottom half of the bun.  

how about this:  i'm eating one right now!! do i win something!?!?!

I have to agree -- BK Double-Whopper (I skip the cheese) is high on my fast-food list.  Popeye's Spicy Fried Chicken, however, gets my vote as the best fast food -- and I'm not ashamed that I eat ti.

Second the Popeyes.  Amazingly, it is actually spicy.  Hard to believe for any product that is marketed and sold to the masses.  I remember eating a Wendy's Spicy Chicken sandwich and thinking, "who is going to think that this is spicy, an infant?"

Popeyes also serves some creole mustard concoction that is quite good for dipping hunks of the spicy chicken.

Hmmmm, maybe for dinner tonight . . .

Quote: from ron johnson on 12:53 pm on Jan. 17, 2002

Second the Popeyes.  Amazingly, it is actually spicy.  Hard to believe for any product that is marketed and sold to the masses.  I remember eating a Wendy's Spicy Chicken sandwich and thinking, "who is going to think that this is spicy, an infant?"

Popeyes also serves some creole mustard concoction that is quite good for dipping hunks of the spicy chicken.

I remember reading that when Al Copeland opened his first Popeyes, he was warned that the chicken was too spicy to appeal to a wide audience.  

Quote: from ron johnson on 3:53 pm on Jan. 17, 2002

i just discovered a Popeye's near me, and now all of this discussion and ron's suggestion of "maybe for dinner tonght..."   all that i can say to you, sir, is, You son of a b*tch!  now there's no way that i'll be able to *not* have popeye's for dinner tonite!!! (i would have much preferred something more healthy).

i have to stop reading these boards.  they are getting me much too fat.

alright, well i found out for myself last night.

although i had been to popeye's a few times, i never gave it much thought.  but last night i brought home a bucket and gave it the attention that it deserved.  good stuff.  big juicy breasts.  i mean, what else can a man ask for?  the coating was nice and crispy.  the heat from the spicy chicken didn't jump out at me, but it had some nice residual heat that built up.  

the dirty rice was good, but not great.  a bit dry i thought.  the biscuits were very good, and obviously had a fair amount of butter in them.  unfortunately, they forgot to put the coleslaw in the bag.  that sucked, because we really wanted to try it.  

total bill before tip was พ.73. ;)

and of course, champagne goes great with fried chicken.  a fine meal overall.

• 2 weeks later...

Fast food items for which I don't apologize include the White Castles mentioned above.  Anyone who grew up in Chicago and now lives far away (Singapore), needs a "slider" every now and then.

My dark secret -- every trip to Houston starts with a stop at the Exxon station outside IAH to get some Frito-Lay (baked) corn puffs and a Coke.  I usually have to clean the orange goo off my fingers before I check into the hotel!!  Why only in Houston?  I have no idea.

sweet 'n low

although now they're saying it might not cause cancer.  but it's still refrigerator coolant

i scoop ice cream for friends on some weekends--they also sell  "calico cottage" fudge--people rave over it 'cause it's sweet and creamy--but it's made from A MIX--we never tell

sometimes i need a bite of it--AGH!  it grosses me out but tastes #### good.

Quote: from researchgal on 2:08 pm on Jan. 17, 2002

All this talk about Annies vs. Kraft mac-n-cheese.  Definitely Annies wins "elbows" down...

IMHO, Stouffer's mac-n-cheese is creamier and cheesier than either of the above.  Plus all you have to do is pop it in the microwave.  Their creamed chipped beef is another guilty pleasure, poured over toast or fluffy biscuits.  Come to think of it, pretty much their whole line of prepared foods rocks... veggie lasagna... swedish meatballs...  full-fat and PROUD of it!  

I am also among the fans of Popeyes.  Truly spicy fried chicken, rich biscuits, good red-beans-and-rice (when doctored up with vinegar and hot sauce), and where else can you get butter-basted corn-on-the cob in a heat-sealed plastic bag?

More "bad" foods of the past (and sometimes present):

peanut butter, banana AND Miracle Whip sandwiches

vienna sausages on crackers spread with mayonnaise

anything with cream of mushroom soup as an ingredient

grits with slices of Oscar Mayer "Lil' Smokies" mixed in (can you tell I was raised by a woman from Mississippi?  she made pigs-n-blankets too!)

those little quiches you buy frozen at Price Club

chocolate-covered caramel popcorn from Trader Joe's

Chili with spaghetti, cheese, tomatoes and onions

Fried potatoes with vinegar and Old Bay seasoning

Girl Scout cookies (Thin Mints and Samoas)

Potstickers, dumplings or egg rolls

Wendy's taco salad (OK, verging on healthy)

Cinn-a-Bon cinnamon rolls

Roy Rogers or Arbys' roast beef sandwich

a "Scattered, Smothered, Smoked & Chopped" at Waffle House at 3 a.m.

Thinking of items for the list reminded me of how my eating habits have changed over the years from childhood to adulthood.  Now I eat much more fresh food and cook it myself, whereas when I was younger I ate more processed food and prepared food (when I had no choice and/or didn't know any better).  I'd be interested to hear how others' food tastes and habits have changed over time and what caused the changes (probably a new thread is in order).

This is my first post after lurking for a bit and I have to say I've really enjoyed everyone's contributions to the site.  I'm visiting NYC from DC in a couple of weeks and have greatly appreciated this forum's suggestions on where to dine.  Thanks!

Erin

Erin

I decided to visit this post again to find inspiration for tonights dinner. I'm stuck working late, scott had his dinner already, so that leaves a takeaway for me! Popeyes is the favourite, but as I'm back in london at the moment, that will have wait till March.  

I think therefore that it shall have to be a Big King from the BK on the concourse of London Bridge Train Station!

(and I WILL enjoy it!)

Quote: from Celine on 12:06 am on Feb. 1, 2002

Okay,I'll confess. I love fried bologna sandwiches on white bread with processed American cheese and lots of mayonaise.I also like that with onions and soggy lettuce.

You jogged my memory about shameful sandwiches, Celine.  I too like either bologna or liverwurst on white bread with mayo.  In England, I'll take with sliced cucumber too.   I used to have a passion for roast chicken sandwiches on white bread with extra mayo (no salad), but I could sort of feel my blood circulation slwoing down as I ate them.

some of the worst things (no nutritional value) that I will admit to eating are:

-microwave popcorn

-Easy Cheese (the canned cheese product) sprayed on wheat thins.

-fritos, cheetos, potato chips

-burger king's flamed broiled bacon cheese burger

-McDonald's fries, egg McMuffin, hashbrowns

Last week I also bought a couple of boxes of Camp Fire Girl cookies (Almond Caramel Clusters).  These are sooo good it's really hard to eat just one...so I've been postponing opening the box for fear that once I started I couldnt stop.  Last night I finally opened one box and after eating one, ended up eating 4 more...and then another just before bed).   And I'm not even a "sweets" person, but these are really irrestible!

Quote: from Celine on 9:06 pm on Jan. 31, 2002

Okay,I'll confess. I love fried bologna sandwiches on white bread with processed American cheese and lots of mayonaise.I also like that with onions and soggy lettuce.

Celine

o.k., I know this is a weird question, but by fried balogna, do you mean that you saute the stuff in a little oil?  This isn't dipped in batter or anything?

Quote: from Celine on 12:06 am on Feb. 1, 2002

Okay,I'll confess. I love fried bologna sandwiches on white bread with processed American cheese and lots of mayonaise.

OMG, i forgot all about fried bologna sandwiches!!  but now the thought seems mildly disgusting.  i think i used to put ketchup on bologna.  ugh.

My grandfather got me into Fried Salami sandwiches.  Hebrew National Salami, cut fairly thick (1/4" or so), fried up in a simple frying pan in its own fat (with no oil) or any other coating or sauce.

You know the Salami is "ready" when it's fairly well "cupped"--the edges turn up and the bottom of the cup is just starting to burn.  Serve on simple white bread, or a hard roll--again with no sauce except its own drippings.

...wow, I haven't had one of those for about 10 years.

(Edited by jhlurie at 2:04 pm on Feb. 1, 2002)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"