• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confession Time: Share Your Culinary "Sins"

jhlurie

It's a whole pizza (pineapple, blue cheese, shrimp)

:confused:  :wow:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

You've got to at least use Pepperidge Farm

Reminds me of a modified version of bruschetta a friend once made for us that's now a staple summer appetizer for our bbqs.  Take Pepperidge Farm Toasting White bread and toast lightly in the toaster or on a baking sheet in the oven. Top with thick slices of ripe tomato, mozzarella cheese (either fresh buffalo mozzarella if available or I like the Sorrento chunk), fresh basil, a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper. Broil lightly until the cheese just starts to melt. We usually cut into "fingers" to serve. There's something about the texture and flavor of the Toasting White that makes it really different from the french or italian bread versions.

shrimp? oy.  :confused:

Hope you don't categorically rule out shrimp on pizza, Tommy.  For me, one of the best pizzas ever, one of the best THINGS ever, was a pizza at a little place called Caioti in Laurel Canyon with shrimp wrapped in applewood-smoked bacon, (broiled), generous squiggles of really good pesto, provolone.  Never matched, to this day.  And not for want of trying, neither!

(Caioti was run by Ed LaDou, whom I believe had earlier worked for Wolfgang Puck originating all those now-ubiquitous duck sausage and BBQ chicken and whatnot pizzas.  Also had Mr. LaDou's BBQ chicken pizza at the source, and it was penultimate in goodness to the shrimp/bacon/pesto.)

Priscilla

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Pineapple on pizza.  :wow:

Shrimp on pizza.  :biggrin:

Blue cheese on pizza.  :confused:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

A meme's been going around my coworkers lately that describes the best use for processed cheese I've yet come across. The best part is I know at least three people who've done this, so it really is a growing trend. Either that, or I just happen to know some incredibly sad people:

Click for...Cheese Racing

Miss J

this, RULES.

i know what i'm doing tonite.  who wants to come over and join be?

No, sorry. I love caramelized onion. But not on pizza. I find it slimy. And dangerous in terms of slippage.

I've never been convinced of gorgonzola, really. It's okay, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it's one of the great cheeses.

edit:

Spelign erorr.

tommy, not a chance. But I'd love to see the pretty pitchurs.

shrimp? oy.  :confused:

Hope you don't categorically rule out shrimp on pizza, Tommy.  For me, one of the best pizzas ever, one of the best THINGS ever, was a pizza at a little place called Caioti in Laurel Canyon with shrimp wrapped in applewood-smoked bacon, (broiled), generous squiggles of really good pesto, provolone.  Never matched, to this day.  And not for want of trying, neither!

i'm not buying into this shrimp thing.  first off, my impression is that generally these are crappy small shrimp.  they are probably very tough from being overcooked, although i'd imagine they are thrown on at the end of the cooking process?  

truthfully i can see something in your applewood smoked bacon wrapped shrimp.  that at least is an entire parcel with lots of dynamics going on, most of which would be desirable on pizza.  

the provolone just baffles me.  :biggrin:

i'm not buying into this shrimp thing.  first off, my impression is that generally these are crappy small shrimp.  they are probably very tough from being overcooked, although i'd imagine they are thrown on at the end of the cooking process?  

truthfully i can see something in your applewood smoked bacon wrapped shrimp.  that at least is an entire parcel with lots of dynamics going on, most of which would be desirable on pizza.  

The provolone was grated, and judiciously applied, as are all toppings on all self-respecting pizzas.

Also, may I put in that I am down in solidarity with small disgusting overcooked shrimp being something not good to eat?

The shrimp on Mr. Ed LaDou's pizza were big gorgeous ones, Louisiana perhaps, tender and snappy, PERFECTLY cooked, (and I fully agree that this is the sticky wicket...if they the shrimp were not fantastic the dish would NOT be earning its keep).  I imagine they the shrimp were swaddled in bacon and broiled and then put on the pizza, and then the squiggles of very good pesto (I emphasize the very good because restaurant pesto is often a watery grainy embarrassment) and then the cheese and then blisterfication in the wood-burning oven.  RIP, Caioti--the genuine article.

And yes, indeed, talk about parcels of flavor!  I lifted the shrimp-wrapping idea (of course) and have used it to good effect here and there, including on pizza.

Priscilla

Priscilla

Really, I'm most "down in" black olive and mozz pizza.

(That sounded so hep. I'm getting the hang of this "youth culture" thing. Words up, homeguy.)

While we are on sandwiches:

Fried bologna on cheap white bread (Rainbo) with melted american single, pickle relish, and either mayo or yellow mustard.  Mustard for me, mayo for my sister.

Served with Fritos and Kool-Aid.

mmm, mmm,  lunch in the south as a kid.

always have had a soft spot for ritz crackers with easy cheese from the spray can... the cheddar flavor... not the american... i'm not that tastless.. however... i do have to hide this horrible desire from all who know me... in the freezer next to the lobe of foie gras

Yessss!  

Also a big YES to the the JITB fake tacos (2 for $1) that it aint easy being cheesy mentioned.  Makes a perfectly decent snack!

Shrimp on pizza?  Sorry, no way.  :sad:  But the large shrimp wrapped in applewood bacon that Priscilla described could easily convert me.   :biggrin:

Really, I'm most "down in" black olive and mozz pizza.

(That sounded so hep. I'm getting the hang of this "youth culture" thing. Words up, homeguy.)

That's funny--to me "down in" is 100% leftyspeak, a legacy of MY youth.  But then I'm 100% out of it in the contemporary youth culture department.

Priscilla

Priscilla

Shrimp on pizza?  Sorry, no way.  :sad:  But the large shrimp wrapped in applewood bacon that Priscilla described could easily convert me.   :biggrin:

I am strongly of the "no bad ingredients, only bad preparation" mind.

You woulda LOVED Ed LaDou's shrimp-topped pizza, I bet I bet I bet, Blue Heron.

Priscilla

Priscilla

That's funny--to me "down in" is 100% leftyspeak, a legacy of MY youth.  But then I'm 100% out of it in the contemporary youth culture department.

Americanspeak is not my forte, let alone lefty or righty stuffings.

You, girl, go!

Um.

But not as in "go away".

I mean "go" as in to... Um... To continue in the same vein.

I am strongly of the "no bad ingredients, only bad preparation" mind.

You woulda LOVED Ed LaDou's shrimp-topped pizza, I bet I bet I bet, Blue Heron.

Priscilla

Priscilla, you're right of course.  Shrimp are even one of my most favorite things in life, so it's not hard to twist my arm when it comes to anything with shrimp.  :biggrin:

Also, those small shrimp that get so maligned are delicious when fresh, like on a salad, or in a shrimp salad sandwich.  Fresh Oregon small shrimp are so sweet and delicious.

Also re: the Wolfgang Puck pizzas.... his frozen ones are about the frozen pizzas I like.  Have we done a thread on frozen pizza's yet?  It would be good to know if there is a good one out there that I don't know about.

ummm....Priscilla used two of my favorite words together: "bacon" and "wrapped"...

Hmmm, The Magic of...Wrapped?

I think you just might be on to something, Liza.  I do love stuffed and, ahem, wrapped, things, you know, God's mysteries being revealed to us bit by bit and all that.

(Edited in this:  Blue Heron, those small Oregon shrimp are definitely one of your local treasures--so good, such intense flavor.)

Priscilla

Priscilla

priscilla is trying to pitch us. i'm still not buyin it, even though i started buying it before lunch. :biggrin:

ron johnson, fried bologna sandwiches?!?  cool.  i tried to like them when i was young, and i never really did.  then in college, when i was smoking pot pretty much daily, fried bolongna sandwiches were, like, the best thing in the world.

i haven't had a fried bologna sandwich in about 8 years.  :confused: