• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confession Time: Share Your Culinary "Sins"

jhlurie

All that talk about sausage rolls reminded me of the "pigs in blankets" I make. Jason really loves these, we make them for company and have occasionally made a meal out of them. But they have to be the homemade kind, the ones from the frozen food appetizer section aren't as good. Actually because they are so welcome by all the guests we've served them too, I guess they aren't that embarrasing! I refused to allow pigs-in-blankets to be served at our wedding, but people do really love'm. Here's instructions (it's hardly a recipe) in case you now having a craving for them.

You take decent hot dogs (we prefer all beef kosher style franks), cut them into 4-5 pieces, on the diagonal is prefered. Open a can of Pillsbury dough (the best for this is Crescent Rolls, but the cornbread is good too, the biscuit dough seems too heavy - we've tried many varieties), and spread it out on a cutting board. Each triangle can be cut into 3 pieces, wrap around a piece of hot dog. Place seam side down on a parchment lined cookie sheet.

Bake according to biscuit directions, or freeze before baking for quick treats (bake from frozen state, just a couple minutes longer than from thawed state). I serve with two sauces: Ketchup mixed with pickle relish, and Mustard mixed with Honey.

we love pigs in a blanket.  although we've never made them on our own.  one of the prominent hot dog companies make them, and for the convenience they're worth it.  serve with some champagne and spicy chinese mustard and you've got yourself one h*llavu hors d'oeuvre!!!

we used to snicker at our friends for having them for guests.  who were we kidding, we loved 'em!  as rachel says, everyone (well, most) love them!

I will admit to having a sudden corn beef hash from time to time when the urge takes me but what is truly delicious is a hot bake bean sandwich. Plenty of butter and hot baked beans - eat over the saucepan or a bowl as the butter and beans are likely to dribble everywhere once you have taken your first bite. If you don't get the angle right it will all dribble down your chin!

I think Lily has it so far.... unless microwaving baked beans and eggs together in a bowl and sticking it between two pieces of toast is worse... Sometimes I even add bits of ham and onion for a gourmet treat! Cold sausage and tomato sauce is another nice one.

But I have never sunk as low as Coffee bags.... yuck. And Decaf. No offence meant lily, but to me that sounds as useful as caffeine free diet coke... no taste, no caffeine!

The worst I have ever seen though is a friend who eats strawberry jam and processed cheese slice sandwiches.. yes together...

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

Great topic.

My weakness is fluffernutter sandwiches (peanut butter and marshmallow cream).

This is where it gets bad..............we named our second dog fluffernutter.   The older dog is of course named marshmallow.  

(Edited by NewYorkTexan at 8:24 am on Jan. 15, 2002)

Oh, right. Pies. I'd forgotten: Mowbray pies. Chicken pies. Steak and kidney pies. Pies. (I have some of each in my freezer now.)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Damian:  try Myers of Keswick on Hudson Street for your Marmite stash.

My mom used to make potato chip chicken: crush potato chips, dunk chicken in the bits, and fry. Perfect for growing children with empty-freeway arteries...

Hot baked bean sandwiches.  Yes, that's a very English thing.  Sliced supermarket white bread, right?  I used to have lots of habits like that - canned pilchards in tomato sauce sandwiches - but I have to say I've left most of them behind.

One that left me behind was Kentucky Fried Chicken family buckets.  I used to be able to eat my way through a whole bucket when I lived in the UK, because they came with crisp, skinny McDonalds-type fries.  When I tried to repeat the feat in New York, I was offered thick, stodgy home fries, or mashed potato.  Just doesn't slip down as well.

Another confession would be potato chips generally, and Pringles in particular.  I try not to buy them, because the bag/tube, once opened, must be finished.  Who makes those garlic fries in the green packs? - they're irresistible.

While the kids were eating their tea tonight I scoffed a cold Mushy pea sandwich - and on fresh cut bread for a change!

The peas were left over from lunch which was faggotts in gravy with mushy peas and thick slices of thickly buttered bread - real comfort food!!!

Oh I love faggots, and haven't eaten one in years.  Now you're making me homesick (and making all the American readers giggle because they think "faggot" means something else).  Now, there's nothing bad about faggots.  But the mushy pea sandwich does sound completely disgusting.

Random thought: the last faggot I ate may well have been an upscale version at City Rhodes, with foie gras in the middle.  And Daniel Boulud thinks his hamburger with foie gras is so smart!

Come on, this is the best (worst) you people can do? Puh-lease.

1. Canned pea soup with cut-up hot dogs.

2. Budget Gourmet Swedish meatballs (3 packages), dispose of noodles, mix just the meatballs with kraft mac and cheese.

3. Perdue short cuts stuffed into store-bought tortillas with pre-shredded cheddar, melt, then pour can of hormel chili on top. Eat until unconscious.

4. three fried eggs, 1/3 a roll of Taylor ham (fried), all chopped up together and shoved into a hard roll with more of that pre-shredded cheddar.

5. bennigan's monte cristo. Need I say more.

6. fried breakfast sausage fried and cut up into chunks, mixed with hashbrowns and maple syrup.

Quote: from jtraceynj on 11:43 am on Jan. 16, 2002

Come on, this is the best (worst) you people can do? Puh-lease.

5. bennigan's monte cristo. Need I say more.

I'm actually quite a fan of "French Dip" sandwiches from just about anywhere.  If Bennigan's has one, it would be on my "gross out" list.  I haven't had it in years, but I used to have that sandwich at Friendly's.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Faggots? Are they not similar to traditional French gayettes ( I suppose there's chuckle there too) and crepinettes? Why you might as well feign shame at eating andouillette or fromage de tête. The rest of you are fired. ;)

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Rachel, Faggot/fagot (acc. to my Chambers dictionary) comes from the French word "fagot" meaning a bundle of sticks, and is used in English to refer to same (tho' I've never used this meaning). Secondly, faggot refers to a "roll of internal organs…of pig mixed with bread and savory herbs.” This seems to be more an English dish in my experience as in northern Scotland it is not common, and I don't think I've ever tasted faggots. Indeed, maybe it's a Welsh dish originally.  I see Jane Grigson puts the recipe in the Welsh section of her book "British Cookery" and she describes them as humble pate, and emphasizes pigs liver as well as caul fat.  Anyway, the faggots I've seen in supermarkerts look like meatballs. Used in the derogatory sense, faggot refers to an old woman as well as homosexual.

Fag (etymology unclear) as verb=to weary, noun=schoolboy forced to do menial jobs for another; originally an inferior cigarette (fag-end), hence slang for cigarette and stump of cigarette/cigar.

Very similar to crepinettes, although now I come to think they may not always be wrapped in caul.  {i}Gayettes I have not come across.

Essentially, for those who are still thinking of cigarettes or whatever, we are dealing with quite large meatballs made primarily of mixed, chopped offal.  Nice sticky texture, and - in England at least - usually served ina  thick brown gravy.  I regard these as delicacies, and am certainly not ashamed.

I am slightly ashamed of the only burger I will willingly eat from one of the big chains - the Burger King Double Whopper with cheese, which always seems to soak through the bottom half of the bun.  I can scarcely enter McDonalds any more, as I find the smell so vile.