• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confession Time: Share Your Culinary "Sins"

jhlurie

Ok , here it is. The dirtiest secret of all.

Kentucky Fried Chicken - I could care less if I eat the chicken, all I really want is the skin. You know those giant blue salt licks that cows get ( for those of you who don't, they look like blue 20 lb hall's coughdrops ) - anyway, KFC is the human version of a salt lick !

I feel so dirty just thinking of it.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I love the petals of artichokes more than the hearts. I guess it brings back childhood fun.

Your post reminds me of a dinner party I threw. After my dinnner guests finished dipping the leaves I made them relinquish the artichoke bottoms so I could use the in a pasta sauce. A few folks were miffed. I don't think I'd be as cheeky today.

Ok , here it is. The dirtiest secret of all.

Kentucky Fried Chicken - I could care less if I eat the chicken, all I really want is the skin. You know those giant blue salt licks that cows get ( for those of you who don't, they look like blue 20 lb hall's coughdrops ) - anyway, KFC is the human version of a salt lick !

I feel so dirty just thinking of it.

Not a fan of KFC chicken, but I love the crispy skin on Church's chicken. In the "What's the most delicious thing you've eaten today?" thread, I confessed to peeling off all the fried skin on my brother's piece of chicken, and putting the naked piece of chicken back in the fridge. :laugh:

At least you replaced the cookies with purchased ones.

As a (very feeble) attempt at defense, I will state that I paid for the ingredients for the meal myself. All of them. It still doesn't excuse eating food that was intended for consumption by others, especially where charity was involved. But they really were very, very, very good cookies. :rolleyes:

Confession is so good for the soul. I almost feel better!

Does anyone else share these habits....

1) Ramen noodles (Ichiban, etc..) right out of the bag! Just crunch 'em up in the bag, open and take out the little seasoning bag, sprinkle on the dried noodles ( all in nice little bite sized chunks) and enjoy! I've been doing this since I was a kid and only buy certain flavours (ie: beef & regular....I don't like the chicken ones)

2) Miracle whip, peanut butter and cheese sandwhiches. This one grosses out the wife, but I love it.

3) When I order crab or lobster in a restaurant, I ask for chopped raw garlic and put it in my melted butter. Perfectly normal. But then when I've finished my entree and there is no more bread to sop up the garlic infused butter, I'll dip a teaspoon or even my finger right in and finish it up! (caution...blow out the candle before trying this!

Oh there are so many more...

John

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

1) Ramen noodles (Ichiban, etc..) right out of the bag! Just crunch 'em up in the bag, open and take out the little seasoning bag, sprinkle on the dried noodles ( all in nice little bite sized chunks) and enjoy! I've been doing this since I was a kid and only buy certain flavours (ie: beef & regular....I don't like the chicken ones)

we used to eat this all the time in elementary school, mostly as a snack during recess. mmmmmm, salty … :biggrin:

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

I consistently resist the temptation to order for the whole table.

I can be a bit of a cavalier...and I'm a woman.

It's annoying when folks mumble into their water glass, stare over the waiters shoulder and remain indecisive after having ample time to peruse the menu.

And somehow it's suprising to them that their orders are incorrect..-sigh-

Let.me.do.it.

Typical Scorpio attitude. :hmmm:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I'm with offal.

I ate at McDonald's a couple of weeks ago and paid mightily for my sin. The food (a cheeseburger big kids' meal) was damn near inedible. Spongy, sweet (and squished) bun, salty, otherwise flavorless, overcooked, underthick meat patty, plasticky cheese, and even the fries were disappointing.

I hid the evidence in my neighbor's trash can (it was trash day and the bins were out on the street) so my husband wouldn't find out.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

it's not terribly weird (I hope!), but I confess I rather like eating steel-cut oats raw. I usually sneak a spoonful as I'm making breakfast :biggrin:

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Some friends and I are probably going to burn in hell for this...

By the time dinner rolled around, we had eaten ALL of the cookies--boy, were they good-- and we had to send somebody out  to buy more cookies.  No kidding, not only were those the best molasses cookies I've ever had, they were likely the best cookies, period, I've ever had.

Yes, we did confess our sins to our friend, who was not very happy with us, and we didn't blame him.  All of the cookie-baking compliments in the world just didn't make up for our gluttony.

This is definitely a sin, jgm, and yes, you will braise in hell. We will announce your penance shortly.

Mind you it's not even close to the sin of being a 'pretend' swallower, which certainly begs other questions, none of which I particularly want to know the answer to.

When deciding upon the penance, please keep in mind that they were very, very, very good cookies.

you could get the recipe and that might atone for part of the sin - we want it!

My dining secret : I hate sharing in a restaurant, even a Chinese restaurant. I eat slowly, so I always end up losing out on the good stuff while my dining companions wolf it all down. Plus, I usually ordered what I wanted, and often have no interest in what the other people ordered.

I know that ordering plates to share is considered to be so trendy these days, but I really hate it.

you could get the recipe and that might atone for part of the sin - we want it!

He's long since moved to another city, and I haven't spoken with him in years. However, we did discuss it at the time, and it was a recipe that "everybody" uses. Which means it was either on the molasses container, or it was in the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook.

Which means it was either on the molasses container, or it was in the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook.

I'm checking both when I get home tonight. I've been making do with the molasses chew cookies from Starbuck's, but they're not quite as thin as I like them.

Ramen noodles are great on salads. Toss on baby spinach or mesclun greens and dress with a sesame-ginger or seasoned rice vinegar dressing.

Ramen noodles are great on salads. Toss on baby spinach or mesclun greens and dress with a sesame-ginger or seasoned rice vinegar dressing.

My friends request a version of bushey's suggested salad all the time.

Toast two "bricks" of crushed ramen noodles, sliced/slivered almonds and sesame seeds in butter until golden brown; I always make lots extra because we end up eating a lot of them before they make it to the salad. Toss noodle/almond/sesame seed mixture with one head of sliced sui choy with one bunch of chopped green onions. Top with a sesame-ginger or cane vinegar/seasoned rice vinegar dressing. Eat massive quantities. :wink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Awright, awright (squinting from that very bright light shining on my guilty face) I confess.

Depending on the food and ambient situation, I prefer to eat sans utensils, just fingertips. I just did this on some cracklin' crisp skinned, juicy succulent roast duck and rice, and garlic-y string beans topped with butter toasted almond slices.

However, I do not eat my candy bars with a fork & knife (insert Seinfeld episode somewhere in here :laugh: ).

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Yetty, eating with your fingers is hardly a faux pas to confess, considering that you're an Indonesian and presumably doing that in an appropriate situation. When in Rome, etc. I was received with great approval for eating Nasi Ulam with my fingers, at the day market in Kota Bharu. Imagine that, a white guy who speaks almost local-sounding Malay, understands Kelantan dialect and can imitate it by request, orders Nasi Ulam, and eats with the fingers of his right hand! :biggrin::laugh:

Michael aka "Pan"

Heheh, that's just the thing though, Michael. Chopsticks may have been more appropriate for the above meal, don't you think?

When eating finger-lickin' good fried chicken, I'll inevitably dip the digits into the coleslaw as well. Sometimes with my homemade baked rigatoni bolognese, I'll fish out and eat the pasta one piece at a time. Doesn't someone else here do that, eat their mac & cheese, one elbow macaroni at a time?

Mmm, nasi ulam, that sounds good to me right now.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Heheh, that's just the thing though, Michael.  Chopsticks may have been more appropriate for the above meal, don't you think?[...]

Maybe. But there are also an awful lot of Americans who eat fried chicken with their hands, so it doesn't seem weird to me that you ate roast duck with your hands. Actually, in informal situations, picking up roast chicken in your hands is really common in some circles. We always did that when I was growing up - though only at home or, when we were guests at someone else's place, only when we saw the hosts do it first.

Michael aka "Pan"

According to my very proper old-family Virginia MIL fried chicken is one of the few foods that may be eaten at a proper table with your hands.

She does not approve of my desire to eat green beans sans utensils.

This is most likely why I continue to do it in front of her.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W