• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confession Time: Share Your Culinary "Sins"

jhlurie

Ah, I got one.  Tomato sandwiches.  White bread with tons of mayo and slices of tomato, a la Harriet the Spy.

Preferably eaten while standing over the sink, the juices dripping down your arms to your elbows.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I see your rolled bologna and raise you a slice of genoa salami, spread with cream cheese, rolled around a scallion.

How about the olive loaf, or really lousy packaged boiled sliced ham, with cream cheese, and rolled up, natrually.

Okay, American cheese and a piece of bologna rolled up together.

Ah, I got one.  Tomato sandwiches.  White bread with tons of mayo and slices of tomato, a la Harriet the Spy.

In my book, that is one of the best things you can eat. On gpod white bread, of course.

I'm talking wonder bread.

I used to roll slices of luncheon meat (a kind of British version of bologna) around pieces of rubbery Edam cheese.  That one I've given up.

one of my sisters came home from school every day & threw two hot dogs into a pot of boiling water, then wrapped them in soft white bread slathered with mayo.  let me tell you they were damn good.  i guess i haven't had one since i was 10.  

tuna with chips sounds good--did anyone ever put potato chips in their PB & J sandwich?  i still do this--gives a most satisfying salty crunch--ripples are best.

Lots of people have mentioned soda pops from their youth, as well as the "who makes the best Coke" debate.

There is a store in Dallas that sells many of these nostalgic drinks, like Cheerwine, Moxie, Sun Drops, Big Red, birch beer, Orange Crush, etc.

Also, they import Coke from Holland where, they say, the drink is still made with the formula most closely matching the original (without the cocaine).

And, there are drinks from Japan and other countries as well.

You can accesss their website at www.ifsandsbutts.com.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Yay for tomato sandwiches on good bread.

Does anyone hate cucumber sandwiches? I don't. :biggrin:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Ya gotta put a ton of mayonnaise on the bread to protect it from the tomatoes.  Then eat it IMMEDIATELY.

As for cucumber sandwiches - thin pumpkernickel bread, the really dark kind, with cream cheese and plenty of salt...

Ya gotta put a ton of mayonnaise on the bread to protect it from the tomatoes.

Tee hee, struck me funny, the idea that Wonder Bread is somehow in need of protection, when the usual attitude is more like WE need protection from IT, you know what I mean?

And tomato sandwiches (yes, yes, like Harriet, it was a childish source of pride to find out she liked 'em, too) do not EVEN belong here...they belong in the BEST THINGS department.

(But on excellent homemade Squishy Bread, as it is called.)

Priscilla

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

My sisters and I actually played Harriet and went around the 'hood with little notebooks, looking in the neighbors' windows and taking notes.  Little did we know, my mother called ahead and warned everybody...

Ya gotta put a ton of mayonnaise on the bread to protect it from the tomatoes.

(But on excellent homemade Squishy Bread, as it is called.)

My grandmother called it "cotton bread" as in, "Y'all don't want that ole' cotton bread, do you?  It'll stick your insides together."

Ya gotta put a ton of mayonnaise on the bread to protect it from the tomatoes.  Then eat it IMMEDIATELY.

Yeah...as I said....leaning over the sink while the juice drips down your arms. :biggrin:

I haven't thought about those Charles Chips tins in twenty years.

when i was really little, like 4, we had them sent to our house via UPS, in the tins.  i thought the UPS delivery man was charles and that he was bringing us his chips becasue he really liked us.

always have had a soft spot for ritz crackers with easy cheese from the spray can... the cheddar flavor... not the american... i'm not that tastless.. however... i do have to hide this horrible desire from all who know me... in the freezer next to the lobe of foie gras

Did you ever take the Wonder Bread, tear off pieces and then roll them into balls?

I knew some Catholic kids who used to tear off pieces, flatten them, and give Holy Communion. Another kid did the same and called it "elephant meat".

Wasn't "Wonder Bread" as such, but the same kind of stuff.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

At this very moment, I'm spending my lunch hour in front of my computer, eating cold pizza straight from the fridge. It's a whole pizza (pineapple, blue cheese, shrimp) that we got from a pizzeria last night and didn't eat. I tried microwaving the first slice, but it only ruined the taste - it's better cold! :smile: