• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confession Time: Share Your Culinary "Sins"

jhlurie

couldn't find sunbeam bread, but wonder did the trick.  a simple yet elegant dinner i would say.  everything i remembered it to be.

below are two pics.  the before and the after.  you can see, in the second pic, that even after one bite, the wonder bread is crimping down on the sandwich.  it was only a matter of about 20 seconds and a perfect bite-sized portion of the sandwich was stuck to the roof of my mouth as if by magic.

click here for the before

and here to see what that bread does after just one bite.  freaky.

mr. tommy that looks fabulous! Except, of course, for the pale, under-done potato chips. My one slight criticism might be that there doesn't seem to be enough bright yellow mustard showing. Could just be the pics, though.

Mmmm, that macaroni salad looks good too. Hellman's, I hope, not that Miracle Whip salad dressing stuff.

Makes me kind of sorry I'm not having your dinner instead of ours: chicken fajitas, black beans and rice. The beans and rice serve as a vehicle for my pipsqueak to convey sour cream to her mouth.

there was plenty of mustard on the sandwich i assure you.  and subsequently, plenty all over my fingers.  i suppose i could have been a little more artistic with the building of the sandwich, and had some mustard sort of hanging over the sides.  but you and i both know that you don't make 'em like that!

the chips were lays.  uneventful, but supplied the token saltiness and slight crunch.  the macaroni salad was from the same swiss pork store where i got the salami.  very light mayo, celery, just delicious.  this store is real old-school.  the kind of place where the guys know you by your first name, and they even still give you a "snack" (a slice of whatever they're cutting) when you are on line.  really neat, and unique, especially for the northern NJ area.

bushey, are you making the fajitas yourself?  if so, get yourself over to the "what did we make for dinner" thread and let us know how you went about it!

thanks to all who participated in this little salami detour.  it was transporting.  :smile:

A bit of disagreement here. I can attest to the fact that potato chips in a sandwich will in no way effect the bread's squishiness quotient. Provided it's something like Wonder Bread, of course. Said bread will still squish and cleave to the roof of your mouth after one bite, potato chips in tow. The potato chips are extremely helpful when you try to unstick the bread from the roof of your mouth with your tongue. Traction, as it were. Enjoy.

:smile:

Whooooa.

Nina, re Pringles. I once substituted them for tuiles with caviar. I'm not kidding. They were a big hit.

tommy, wow. Those pictures were very creepy. Thanks. :wink:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Cheese Bagel Dogs. Those things that you find in college dorm vending machines, Crappy hot dogs encased in a bagel like dough injected with cheez. Which you then microwave.

Cheese filled Combos. Cause Combos really cheezes your hunger away.

PortWineCheeseFood. Used as a dip for hard bavarian pretzels.

Slim Jims.

Funyuns.

Tower Isle Spicy Hot frozen Jamaican Beef Patties. Nuclear.

Frozen White Castles from the supermarket.

I could go on....

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Please no, you are hurting me.

(what am I saying?  I had reconstituted oatmeal today.  In one of those little vacuum sealed cups where you add water, and then you ignore the directions and add other stuff from your cupboard.)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

After eating creamy skippy peanut butter all my life I've recently discovered "chunky" - YUMMY - where has this been all my life?!?!

Last week I spread the chunky on cinnamon raisin bread and I think this is going to be one of those things I wish I hadn't discovered.  It had that salty, crunchy, sweet thing going - kind of like peanut butter and chocolate, chocolate covered pretzels or raisins mixed with salty peanuts.

Julliana

Tuna noodle casserole.  Gotta love it.  Once when I was in 4th grade, I had to bring something to a girl scout potluck.  And they asked me to do tuna noodle casserole.  My mother told me that if I ever even mentioned something like that again, well...god knows what would  have become of me.

Please no, you are hurting me.

(what am I saying?  I had reconstituted oatmeal today.  In one of those little vacuum sealed cups where you add water, and then you ignore the directions and add other stuff from your cupboard.)

I love instant oatmeal, but it's gotta be Quakers Instant Oatmeal, and it has to be Apples & Cinnamon flavor.  It comes in a little packet and you add it to 1/2 C. hot water...yum.  I eat it without milk on it, just the hot water and instant oatmeal flakes, yum.  Anything else on it ruins it.  :raz:

I like tuna sandwiches with potato chips in them.  My mom used to make tuna casserole with crushed potato chips on top, but only when my dad was out of town.  I guess he didn't like it.  I also like sour gummy worms.

Gah. The sandwich with chips (crisps) in them is as real then as the dreaded English chip (frites) butty (sandwich with butter or marge) then?  :sad:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

I prefer the sour patch kids. I've tried most of the sour varieties at one of those candy by the pound stores and find that sour patch kids have the best sour flavor kick.

Never understood the concept of Hot Tuna outside the musical arena. But, I can make a mean tuna noodle casserole if my husband really begs for it. My way, with egg noodles, cream of mushroom goop, milk, worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, cayenne , some frozen peas and fresh carrots thrown in and a cornflake crumb topping. His mother used to make it with tomato soup -- blech.

Gah. The sandwich with chips (crisps) in them is as real then as the dreaded English chip (frites) butty (sandwich with butter or marge) then?  :sad:

Well, I wouldn't put potato chips on any kind of sandwich, but it's really good with tuna.  I also like peanut butter sandwiches with butter instead of jelly or honey.

Hey Nina, not too long ago Edemuth and I did a souped-up version of tuna noodle casserole for a dinner party. Homemade pasta, a bechamel, Italian oil-packed canned tuna, and I fried up onion rings to put on the top. It was good but the Campbell's kind is almost as tasty and WAY easier. Easiest: the Stouffer's sort, which I sometimes eat for a quick lunch.

I also like peanut butter sandwiches with butter instead of jelly or honey.

But of course. Or toast with butter and peanut butter (and a twist of black pepper).

Chocolate milk

Peanut butter and apples

Saltine cracker, spread with peanut butter, topped with slice of good tomato & little more salt

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.