• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confession Time: Share Your Culinary "Sins"

jhlurie

We spend so much time here discussing the great things which we eat, that we sometimes forget that (since life is made up of compromises) we often "settle" and consume things which would NOT impress the eGullet community quite as much.

What's the one item which you regularly eat (let's define that as at least once every three or four weeks) which you are LEAST proud of.  Now I'm NOT specifically talking about junk-food per-se (although that could be your item), and I'm not necessarily talking about a "guilty pleasure", or an item which is more fattening than you'd like.  It really could be ANY of these, depending on how much you are willing to 'fess up to.

I really, and actually, am talking about something outright embarassing.  I'm talking about Bagel Dogs out of a vending machine.  I'm talking about Instant Coffee.  The "prepared" food from a Seven-Eleven.  That kind of stuff.

If you've got the er... cojones... to live up to it, that is! :)

I'll start myself and set the bar pretty low.  Because I occasionally get home from work pretty late, and because I'm lazy, I've been known to consume from the McDonald's on the walk back from my public transportation.  I won't claim to ever enjoy it, but my suffering is well contained.

(Edited by jhlurie at 11:05 pm on Jan. 13, 2002)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I can't admit to "every 3 or 4 weeks", but maybe once every couple of months, if I need something to eat 'on the move' I go for a KFC chicken with fries. Even worse, I DO enjoy it. I've tried Macdonalds (tasteless, luke-warm, and over-garnished) and Burger King (rubbery, luke-warm and over-garnished). By contrast I think KFC actually do have a good product.

And I know Bux will grimace when he reads this, but I also enjoy a half-pound bar of Cadbury's Whole Nut chocolate --- yes,  still CHOCOLATE until the EEC decides otherwise :)

If it's outright embarrassing you want, I've got y'all beat hands down.  Every so often, I eat a thing that was a major fave of childhood.  Well, okay, and during the college years, too.  My dad would call me just before break and ask me what they should have in the larder for my homecoming, and then he'd say, "Oh right, how could I forget?  Don't worry, we'll have plenty of Kr-- "

Wait.  Maybe I'd better not tell.  It's truly awful.  Really.  Just thinking about posting it makes me cringe.  It might even cause Steven Klc's head to explode, and how could I live with myself if that happened?

Nah.  Forget it.

Cats

WIMP!!!

If you aren't going to commit to the confession you shouldn't have even posted the tease! Come on, out with it!

As for me, none of these are on as regular a basis and jhlurie suggests, but sometimes the occasion arrises where a Wendy's Frosty is called for, a Cup O'Noodles hits the spot, or the late night White Castle hamburger from the freezer (I'm outing Jason here, they're his and I criticise when he buys them, but I eat a few before they're gone!).

In case this helps anyone else fess up, my repeated weakness is for Egg McMuffins.  In self-delusional moments I have even defended this as the perfect fast food item if done well.  I enjoy them immensely.  I can tell you which McDonalds in northern Virginia toast their muffins properly and which don't.  

Remember this was jhlurie's idea.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Deep fried haggis with sweet chilli sauce. And a fried egg on top. The haggis is obviously Scottish, but it was my idea to combine it with the sauce and egg. Fusion cuisine slumming it, I like to think.

n.b. I am a professional, do not attempt this at home.

Quote: from RPerlow on 9:01 am on Jan. 14, 2002

WIMP!!!

I'm outing Jason here, they're his and I criticise when he buys them, but I eat a few before they're gone!

Okay... if we are going to play the "embarass Jason" game I can up the ante.  When I first met him 13 years ago one of his favorite items of food was...

(drum roll please)

...vending machine bagel dogs.

Sorry, Jason, I couldn't resist.  But your taste in food HAS improved. :)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Yes, hangovers and inebriation bring out the worst.  I have always enjoyed satisfying alcohol-induced hunger pangs with Chinese food of the greasy, non-authentic kind.  You know, chow mein, sweet 'n' sour chicken, etc.  And to be really bad, I accompany it with fries rather than rice.  In my youth I was known to bring a bag of this stuff home and eat it out of a saucepan, but I am more housetrained now.

I think I can up the ante here, but with some redemption.  Every couple months I succumb to the temptation of some Taco Bell crispy tacos.  To at least partially redeem myself I'll not touch them untill they've been detoxified by a liberal splash of Hoboken Eddies Mean Green hotsauce...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

...vending machine bagel dogs.

If I could find them in the supermarket, the exact kind i used to eat, I would still eat them now.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Quote: from markstevens on 11:06 am on Jan. 14, 2002

I think I can up the ante here, but with some redemption.  Every couple months I succumb to the temptation of some Taco Bell crispy tacos.

Mark, that's rock bottom.  I salute you for your bravery in the confession department (you've picked something both unhealthy and "gross" to most of the world).  Personally I'd rather eat shoe leather than Taco Bell, but I promised myself I wouldn't mock anyone except Jason in this thread!!! :)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Quote: from jhlurie on 11:21 am on Jan. 14, 2002

[Personally I'd rather eat shoe leather than Taco Bell, but I promised myself I wouldn't mock anyone except Jason in this thread!!! :)

you don't know what you're missing.  the taco bell hard taco supreme is very good!  i eat them all the time.  didn't think to mention that fact here though as i'm not really ashamed of it.  perhaps i should be?

I'm afraid that after posting this I'll no longer even be allowed in to read what you guys talk about!!!  

Broccoli casserole made with cream of mushroom soup, cheddar cheese, garlic and mayo.  

But you must understand, I only make it when my step-daughter asks for it.  

Quote: from RPerlow on 9:01 am on Jan. 14, 2002

WIMP!!! If you aren't going to commit to the confession you shouldn't have even posted the tease! Come on, out with it!

Oh, all right.  It's KraftMacaroni&CheeseThereIsaidit.

Cats

Um...Uh... Hideous frozen pepperoni calzone things. I flip 'em half-way through to make sure the crust is crispy on both sides. Brush with butter, a few cranks of black pepper. Sometimes some ancho powder. Slice in half, let it cool a bit.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Quote: from Catseye on 11:43 am on Jan. 14, 2002

Oh, all right.  It's KraftMacaroni&CheeseThereIsaidit.

Here's a link to a similar, but slightly better product, Annie's Homegrown. These are "natural" or "organic" mac & cheese, made with whole wheat and real cheese, no artificial colors, and fun shapes like bunnies and peace signs. And with all that goodness, they still manage to taste a lot like Kraft Dinner. They are usually available at natural food stores like Whole Foods or Fresh Fields, in addition to online.

Kraft v. Annies -- it's a major topic of conversation in San francisco.  I love Kraft -- it's got that homey orange glow to it.  But all my friends swear by Annies.  At first I pointed out that they would eat anything out of an un-bleached "earth-friendly" box.  (One friend showed up to a party once with some beef jerky she got at a gourmet store for about ผ a pound.  I pointed out that one type tasted exactly like a slim-jim and the other was simply spam.  We did a blind taste test.  Boy, was she embarrased.)  Then I looked at the health information, and, if I recall correctly, Kraft actually won.

However, when I did the taste test, I have to admit that Annie's was better.

OK - Sausage Rolls & Baked Beans are my 'comfort' food.

The sausage rolls have to be the small frozen ones, ready to cook - (I prefer Icelands own brand - the cheaper the better!).

Presentation of this dish is vital - the plate needs to be large, with the beans  (must be Heinz) poured into the centre of the plate, and the Sausage rolls are placed around the beans.

Each mouthful should consist of half of a sausage roll with about 7-10 beans.

Yum Yum Yum.

: )

Yes, I too will confess to sausage rolls and pork pies (which in New York you need to buy from Myers of Keswick).  Never liked pairing them with beans, though, although my father was prone to stick a pork pie and beans in the microwave occasionally.

Oh yes, steak and kidney pies too.  In fact, pies generally.

Marmite on white toast with butter.  I became addicted to vegemite in Australia and now am hooked on the British version, need to find a supplier in NYC beforer the current supply runs out.  Yes, I know it is disgusting brown sludge; my wife can't even look at it.