• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Slammed

Jinmyo

My only regret is that I paid $27 for the magazine proper. Most of the featured articles one can read right there on their....nice little website.

You shouldn't have any regrets. The featured articles (and the magazine as a whole) are greatly enhanced by the graphics and layout, which provides an overall "feel" that's missing from the online version. In particular, there's a great sidebar in the NYC metro piece that reproduces the Grand Central Oyster Bar ad, showing their positive spin on the negative Grimes review mentioned in the article.

Bob

BTW, Slammed's critic roundups for NYC and San Francisco are up:

New York:

http://www.slammedmagazine.com/inthisissue...ics/fairest.htm

I particularly enjoy and agree with Philip Innes' evaluation of David Corcoran, the NJ food section reviewer of the New York Times. I'm glad someone recognizes his ability and talent.

EDIT: I see he takes a a few pot shots pot shots at Jim Leff the end -- "I'm guessing wait people smell cheapness on him like dogs smell fear." Ouch. I guess we should feel lucky that eGullet's own principals were left out of this roundup. Maybe he thinks we're perfect.

San Francisco:

http://www.slammedmagazine.com/inthisissue...ics/bayArea.htm

Innes gives Bill Daley, who has now moved onto greener pastures, a lot of praise here (and a few biting comments about his occasional choice of trite wording -- oh well, we can't always be simultaneously loquacious and briliant) -- notwithstanding that it's well known that Daley is considered to the be a friend of eGullet, and I really like the guy on a personal level, I think Daley has a lot of talent and really didnt have a chance to spread his wings at the Chronicle. I hope he fares better at the Chicago Tribune.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Love the "Ringy-Dingy" article that critiques how restaurants answer the phones.

It's kind of uneven in places, but it's great to see a magazine take on "restaurant culture" from both the insider and consumer views. Most magazines are one or the other -- i.e. Food Arts is strictly inside baseball, and Gourmet is consumer-driven, and never the twain shall meet.

I don't know if I'd read it on a regular basis --after a couple of issues, I'd feel like there wasn't much more to say, substitute restaurant X for restaurant Y. If they can avoid that trap, I could see this becoming a must-read.

BTW: In regards to the virus alert people received earlier -- I received this email today from SLAMMED's web developer:

Hi Jason,

My company hosts the SLAMMED site as well as others, and the virus was the result of a hacker exploiting a security flaw in Microsoft server software as well as an MS Internet Explorer flaw. The attack disabled the site for a day, but was repaired and the attacking site blocked. This is the latest in a string of vulnerabilities with Microsoft software and we have decided – as seems to be the trend – to migrate our servers to Linux and abandon Microsoft going forward. Rest assured there are no more viruses present on our site, and that the threat of virus infection is very real...always have some sort of protection software enabled!

eGullet currently uses Linux, so I applaud SLAMMED for going the Open Source route as well.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

• 4 weeks later...

SLAMMED is now running a special promotion for eGullet members -- $20 for 9 issues, which is $7 off their regular subscription price ($27). To take advantage of it, click on this link:

http://www.slammedmagazine.com/subscribe/s...9.php?r=egullet

SLAMMED is now running a special promotion for eGullet members -- $20 for 9 issues, which is $7 off their regular subscription price ($27). To take advantage of it, click on this link:

Jason

Link says "For just $27, you'll get 9 issues of the best magazine on the planet!"

I don't see the discount you mention.

"Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage."

Woody Allen

• 2 weeks later...

Jason

Link says "For just $27, you'll get 9 issues of the best magazine on the planet!"

I don't see the discount you mention.

I know its says $27, but the link URL referrer code will tell them you are an eG member and it will be $20.

EDIT: It looks like they must have fixed it a week or so ago.

BTW, SLAMMED is looking for someone to author an article about SYSCO turning over a new leaf (I.E., interest in sustainable argriculture, etc) with their recent CEO appointment. If you are interested in writing this piece, please email annie@slammedmagazine.com.

• 2 months later...

This is an article I wrote about online discussion board participation by restaurant staff for the October issue of SLAMMED. Thanks to SLAMMED for letting us re-distribute it.

Internet Message Boards (Adobe Acrobat Reader Required)

Jason,

I've been participating in on-line communities in one form or another for almost 20 years now. I wish all BBS's, chat rooms and message boards had a DO and DON'T list like the one you posted. Should be mandatory reading, regardless of whether or not you work in the restaurant industry.

Thanks,

A.

Jason,

If meals are the hinges of the day, good manners are the lubricant that keeps them smoothly pinned. Your commentary in Slammed should be pinned as well--as required reading for all members: new and old, culinary professional or not.

Thank you,

Jamie

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"