• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Slammed

Jinmyo

Slammed. "The voice of restaurant people."

Has anyone ever seen this magazine?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

• 1 month later...

It has been around for several years as a local Boston-area publication. About six months ago or more they started pushing as a national. I have yet to subscribe, although I thought their more local coverage was excellent.

• 1 month later...

So far I love this mag...have two issues. The latest has top ten Best and Worst NYC restaurant reviewers in it.

A Few Best:

Pascale Le Draoulec---Daily News

Robert Sietsema--VV

Eric Asimov-NYT

Worst:

Stephanie Lyness-- NYT..CT

Amanda Hesser-- NYT NYC

Sylvia Carter---Newsday

That web page went directly into my favorites. Corn-ee name though, I would of called it shits :laugh:

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

:blink:  Why would you have called it that? 

We also say "in the shits" instead of "slammed" or "weeded". When I say we, I mean the people I work with.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

So far I love this mag...have two issues. The latest has top ten Best and Worst NYC restaurant reviewers in it.

A Few Best:

Pascale Le Draoulec---Daily News

Robert Sietsema--VV

Eric Asimov-NYT

Worst:

Stephanie Lyness-- NYT..CT

Amanda Hesser-- NYT NYC

Sylvia Carter---Newsday

Can you post the whole list(s) of good and bad critics? It sounds amusing.

Hey y'all when I went to the link for the magazine at the top of this thread my virus detector sent up a balloon!

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Slammed is a pretty cool magazine. I've spoken with the EIC and Publisher, they seem like a really nice bunch of folks that actually get it. We're likely going to be talking to them about stuff that they and we can do together.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Hey y'all when I went to the link for the magazine at the top of this thread my virus detector sent up a balloon!

I got the same warning.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Me too. The page tried to execute "Download.Ject" and my system quarantined it. It could just be adware, but never trust code being downloaded from the 'net and self-executing.

I'd like to see the critic list, too.

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

Is the mag available at any newstands in NYC?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Ack. Tried to edit first post to include warning.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Any computery people out there who can shed some light on why their website is giving people viruses or virus warnings? Seems odd to me. The site hasn't been updated in a while because the issue being highlighted isn't the current one.

What an annoying website.

And it's "in the weeds," where I come from.

Bruce

What don't you like about it? It seems like a fairly clean design. I actually have enjoyed the articles quite a bit, especially the New York food critics report card article in the current issue.

I met with the publisher and managers of the magazine for lunch this week -- they've patterned the publication after "Wired", in terms of the editorial approach and style.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

And it's "in the weeds," where I come from.

Woah..well...maybe they'll change the title for you if you say pretty please with sugar on top. :blink: My only regret is that I paid $27 for the magazine proper. Most of the featured articles one can read right there on their....nice little website. :smile: