• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Takeout Fried Chicken

SobaAddict70

There is no way I would ever eat fried chicken from any of these places!

That being said, if you bring me some and once I get hit with that fried chickeny smell, my face and fingers will be a greasy mess in no time. :biggrin:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Speaking of takeout fried chicken from Chinese restaurants, these are really amazing come to think of it. Nothing really hits the spot like half a fried chicken, hacked up with a cleaver and duly doused with hot sauce and ketchup over a bed of pork fried rice. :blink::biggrin:

Yeah, I'm pretty shameless but sometimes cheap Cantonese takeout is "appropriate" too.

Soba

Chubby Chicken! Though I have to say it's been over 20 years since I've tasted it, so who knows if it's only a sentimental choice. I remember the skin as spicy, crisp and not too thick. My first summer job was at an A&W so I used to have it all summer long. We used to pride ourselves on being better than KFC because we would spend the time to properly clean/trim the chicken.

-michael

"Tis no man. Tis a remorseless eating machine."

-Captain McAllister of The Frying Dutchmen, on Homer Simpson

I'm not sure if they still do it since the Carl's Junior takeover (they were threatening to make it the first thing to disappear :angry: ), but Hardee's had the best fried chicken going, in our humble opinions. The price was totally right, and we never headed out to the beach in N.C. without stopping for a box to drag along. Mmm, mmm, mmm, Hardee's fried chicken. I'm teary eyed... :wub:

There used to be a Bojangle's right near Times Square -- it was a totally prime Broadway location, maybe at 46th? But now the only locations they have in NYC are in Brooklyn and Staten Island.

In the Southeast, where Bojangle's is much more prevalent, my impression has always been that it tends to be favored over Popeye's by those who care about this sort of thing.

In any event, I'll happily defend the fried chicken at both Popeye's and Bojangle's as actually good, not just good-by-junk-food-standards. I rarely encounter a single-unit fried chicken place that performs at the level of a Popeye's or a Bojangle's. Of course they exist, but they're few and far between.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I am definitely a Popeye's man myself - although I have this strange thing that I don't like eating chicken on the bone. Roasted, fried, buffalo, tandoori, whatever - it just grosses me out for some reason.

That said, Popeye's chicken strips are probably my favorite dish in fast-food land and their mashed potatoes, red beans and rice and cajun rice are all quite good.

And during Lent, they carry a pretty good fish filet and shrimp basket too.

You're not alone re: the bones. Strips, please.

You guys are ignoring the true stealth underdog here -- Kennnedy Fried Chicken.

Man, you KNOW you are in a bad neighborhood in any particular city if you see a Kennedy!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

BOJANGLES.

MY SENTMENTS EXACTLY!!!

:wink:

I haven't thought of Bojangles in years!!!! My dad did their PR when they came to DC and we used to get all the bojangles we could eat :biggrin:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

You guys are ignoring the true stealth underdog here -- Kennnedy Fried Chicken.

Man, you KNOW you are in a bad neighborhood in any particular city if you see a Kennedy!

But are they good?

Soba

I don't know, I'm usually driving by with locked doors and in full Battle Alert mode than to concern myself with walking into one of them. Usually its in the Fordham section of the Bronx (driving on the way to Belmont and Arthur Avenue) or some equally pleasant area like Spanish Harlem.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Is Kennedy Fried Chicken an actual chain with franchises, trademarks, investors, and such, or are there just a lot of places out there named Kennedy Fried Chicken?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Is Kennedy Fried Chicken an actual chain with franchises, trademarks, investors, and such, or are there just a lot of places out there named Kennedy Fried Chicken?

Its an actual chain, but its so stealth it doesn't even seem to have a web site.

Popeye's. Of course it partly depends on which one I go to. There's one where it's delicious, facility is clean. There's one where it tastes fine, but the facility just feels a tad greasy or something. There's one where it tastes okay, but the atmosphere is...sketchy. That's the one where the food gives you those fast food runs.

KFC--last time I went, it was the middle of the afternoon, I was going for fast food, so it might have sat for a little while. As another poster noted, it didn't taste like chicken at all! just grease. A Nay vote here.

Bojangles--haven't seen in a while. When I tried it years ago I wasn't ready for it, I was still eating KFC (which was decent then). I would probably like it now.

Church's--only tried it once. Not bad, but not impressive. I believe their big thing was that they soaked their chicken in buttermilk?

As a kid I really liked the fried breading best. I could have made a meal off that!

Edited by klc14 (log)

Here in Chicago there's a chain of places called Harold's. Most locations are on the south side...many of them have bullet proof glass separating the counter person/kitchen from the patron, but damn good chicken!

Fond memories of Kentucky Fried Chicken when I was growing up in the early 1970's, but that was when he was alive and monitored the stores. Sometimes I still want it, but I always get sick after eating and swear to never eat it again.

Popeye's is okay. A bit thick on the crust and thin on the meat in my opinion.

Church's is horrible, at least here.

Homemade is the best, and, yes, it's worth the mess -- at times. :wink:

Here in Chicago there's a chain of places called Harold's. Most locations are on the south side...many of them have bullet proof glass separating the counter person/kitchen from the patron, but damn good chicken!

Yes indeed. Damn good chicken, Harold's is. But most of the KFC joins in Chicago have bullet proof glass with the revolving order/money exchange. :sad:

Chickenlady - you're in upstate NY? Where is the Rib and Clam Shack that you refer to? I'm always interested in trying a food joint with "shack" in the name....  particularly if it's located ina  real shack.

I'm no more inclined to eat gas station chicken than I am to eat the hotdogs or pizza they serve.

Yep! Waaaay Upstate NY in the Plattsburgh area. The "shack" of which I speak doesn't actually have any name that I can tell. It's literally a tiny shack sitting in the back of the Sunoco gas station. If you want to order something, first you have to find the guy who runs it. He may be in the convenience store drinking a beer, or maybe he's wandered off somewhere else. But he's sure to turn up sooner or later. Order your food at the window, then you have to go buy your own drink at the convenience store, because the shack only sells ribs, clams and chicken. French fries too, but they're pretty greasy. When it's done, you take your tray to the picnic tables at the back of the parking lot. From there, you can take in the sights of "Main Street" Plattsburgh--watch people pumping gas, all the traffic on Route 3, the dumpsters set up next to the "dining" area... I can't believe my husband ever convinced me to eat there, but it really is good. He always was a sucker for a shack!

To keep this on topic, I think you can see the KFC across the street from there!

Julie Layne

"...a good little eater."