• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jeff Smith, the Frugal Gourmet

SethG

I know this guy had legal troubles, and I couldn't care less what anybody has to say about them.

My question is whether his books are worth reading. I remember him as one of the biggest food celebrities of the 1980s. But I never seem to see any comments here at eGullet saying that this or that work of his is really worthwhile. I see lots of his books at used book stores here in NYC, but I've never been tempted to pick one up.

Was this guy any good? Was he an inspiration to anybody here? Or was he fine for his time, but irrelevant today?

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Personally, I think if the guy hadn't done whatever to whoever he did it to, Food Network would not be the Emeril network. I still use some recipes that were inspired by his shows. I used to make his wine flavored gelatin, just to throw curveballs at people. They never expected it.

I don't think he was a professionally trained chef, but he knew his way around a kitchen, he knew ingredients and history, and he had skills. Or skillz as the kids say.

He made a lot of valid points, and was one of my earliest cooking influences.

edited to add - But I don't think I'd be tempted to pick up one of his books now. If you've never read any, go for it. The books were magical. The man was flawed. I personally can't get past the name on the cover.

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I used to LOVE The Frugal Gourmet. At one point I think I had almost all of his cookbooks. I gave them away in a get-rid-of-all-these-cookbooks frenzy. The one recipe I still use from one of them is pork souvlaki. I think that was in his first book. The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American was good, as was the wine cookbook. The one on our immigrant ancestors was a good read.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Read previous threads

Chefs as Writers

Favorite Person on Food Netword - merged with TV Personalities

Favorite/Least Food Personalities

Food TV Chefs

Old Jeff Smith Collaboration

Edited to add that I still own all of his cookbooks and have cooked out of them over the years. My favorite is his Three Ancient Cuisines; China, Greece, and Rome. Considering the drivel that is on Food Network these days, despite what else he may have done, the Three Ancient Cuisines concept was highly innovative. Can you imagine what a Food Network producer would say to someone who pitched them an idea about cooking an ancient cuisine?!?!?

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

I just picked up the Immigrant Ancestors book at a library sale. It looks interesting and pretty far ranging in terms of the number of nationalities covered. Specifically, I was interested in the Ethiopian recipes. I wouldn't pay retail for his books, but for $2 I figured what the heck.

I haven't made anything out of it yet, but will attempt to find this discussion and post when I do.

I had all of his cookbooks at one time. I still have a few of them and look over them from time to time.

Personally, I think the cookbooks are great for beginning cooks, especially the first ones, The Frugal Gourmet and The Frugal Gourmet Cooks with Wine. He has a good glossary and inventory for a beginner's kitchen. His chapters are logical with such basic categories as "Eggs". Goes over omelettes, quiche, etc.

However, probably anyone who is on E-Gullet doesn't need his basic ideas and recipes. So, if you are young and just starting to cook, by all means read the books. If you have a little experience under your belt, they won't help much.

Look on Amazon for used copies of his books. The immigrant book is excellent, the wine book is excellent. Actually all the books are great.

It's a shame he's allegedly a sexual harasser. I wouldn't have thought it of him, being a minister and all. :sad:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I loved his show. As I recall, he was one of those who could actually explain the reasons behind doing what he was doing, rather than just chalking it up to tradition. He knew a lot of food history. I appreciated that.

And I had a huge crush on the assistant he had in later shows, was it Craig?

My Red Beans & Rice are based on his recipe from the Frugal Gourmet Cooks American book. Oh, my family also loved the Baked Bean Soup from that book, I just haven't thought of it in ages. Thanks for the reminder, Seth!

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

At one point or another I think I had most of his books. I found that I rarely picked them up so I gave them away.

As for what he is doing now, I live in Seattle and we see him on a regular basis, rolling around Belltown on his Rascal.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Sorry for the ignorance -- but what's a rascal?

Sorry, sort of an electric scooter thing. George used one on an episode of Seinfeld.

Rascal's Web Site

Edited to say that I don't know if he has a physical ailment that requires him to use this.

Edited by LEdlund (log)

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I got four of his cookbooks on eBay but haven't made anything from them yet.

The thing I enjoyed most about his cooking series was his enthusiasm for the different cuisines and the history behind them. He communicated that very well.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

So did he!

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Yes, SethG his books are definitely worth owning. Most of them have been published in paperback so even if you were to buy them it wouldn't put a dent in your wallet.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

What do you think of his TV show?

I have a fuzzy memory of his shows -- long on information and short on actual cooking. I call him the "Charlie Rose" of cooking demo shows. That's not necessarily a bad thing mind you. YMMV however.

Soba

So did he!

I used to refer to that guy as Robin.

And I think Smith paid a lot of money to someone to avoid having his day in court. But my memory could be failing me.

I liked his show. Granted, I was about 13 when it was on TV but I learned a lot. I remember one show in particular, he made some African dish, for the life of me, I can't remember what, but you could tell he didn't enjoy eating it. He even said something about it being an acquired taste.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

That is really sad.

I never saw him as a boozing chicken hawk, but reading the complaint is eye-opening. Child molestation is such a horrible crime.

I wonder if his wife still keeps up "appearances". How could she ever let him near her sons?

I'm got a major case of the wiggins. Ick.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

I'm pretty sure his assistant in the later years was named Craig.

"Hot pot, cold oil, food won't stick!"

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I've been using a Paella Valenciana recipe of his for years. I still use the yellowed newspaper clipping - it was in his syndicated cooking column. Terrific recipe and it was interesting to see recently on FTV or the Travel channel, during a "best of" series on paella, that this recipe is nearly identical to the one most popular with the Cuban community in South Florida.