• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Key Lime Martini Help

raych77

Hello all!

I am brand new to the world of Martinis and I am way too wimpy to drink a real straight up martini so I drink the "fun" versions. I took my husband to Morton's Steakhouse over the weekend for his Birthday Dinner and we had the most incredible Key Lime Martinis. They tasted just like a Key Lime Pie in a glass and I must learn how to make them. So here is where my E-gullet friends come in. It seemed to have a Pina Colada base to it but I can't figure out the rest. Anybody have a recipe?

Thanks in advance!

Raych

Welcome!

Here are two versions, both by eGullet members:

Click here for a recipe by beans, and here for Katie Loeb's version.

Of course, they may be different from the one you had, but at least they'll give you a starting point. Good luck!

Welcome!

Of course, they may be different from the one you had, but at least they'll give you a starting point. Good luck!

Thanks JAZ! You beat me to it.

The Charbay Key Lime vodka is worth searching for, IMHO. It's delicious and I suspect would be refreshing with tonic or club soda as well.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Welcome!

Many of the cocktail/wild martini type recipes can be found in the eGCI Evolving Cocktails, part 2 here.

Key Lime Pie Martini

1 1/2 ounces Stolichnaya Vanil

1/2 ounce Dr. McGillicuddy’s Vanilla Schnapps

1/2 ounce Bailey's Irish Cream

A splash of Rose’s Lime Juice

Combine in an ice filled shaker; shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with graham crackers

-or-

1 1/4 ounces Stoli Vanil

1 1/4 ounces Ke-Ke Key Lime Liqueur

Prepare as above.

And accompanied by the following photograph:

evolvingcocktails61_DCE.jpg

Please note the link to the first Key Lime Pie Martini recipe incorrectly reflects Midori for the Dr. McGillicuddy's Vanilla Schnapps! (I'll see how that can be revised/corrected after I finish this post). Yikes! :blink:

I hope some of this helps and doesn't add to any confusion rach77!

Edited by beans (log)

That picture looks EXACTLY like what we had Saturday night down to the graham cracker crust edged glass... mmmm...graham cracker crust.... sorry...

Thank you so much. I will let you know how my experimentations go this evening. It's my husband's birthday so this will come in very handy.

Raych

Archived recipe(s) fixed. :smile:

Have fun mixing them up and adjust to taste and preference. They are a dessert in of themselves! And vary liquor, as need be, as well. Absolut Vanilla? Sure. Grey Goose La Vanille -- Yum.

Possibly even Bacardi Vanila would be a lovely variation?

mmmmm...vanilla anything is good in my book. I had a martini last weekend that incuded Chambord (another fave of mine) and Stoli Vanil. I started toying with the idea of buying a bottle of Belvedere or Grey Goose and infusing the vanilla myself just to see what the result would be. Is it worth it?

Edit: Oh, one other thing, as far as I can tell, Morton's Key Lime Martini is a LOT like Katie's recipe, but it adds half & half (the dairy kind). --D.

:sad: Unfortunately, Charbay isn't available everywhere. :angry:

Edit: Oh, one other thing, as far as I can tell, Morton's Key Lime Martini is a LOT like Katie's recipe, but it adds half & half (the dairy kind).  --D.

:sad: Unfortunately, Charbay isn't available everywhere. :angry:

Beans:

Try HERE to find a distributor or to have it shipped to you for recreational use. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

OK, the vodkas might be nice, but WOW - did you check out the other products on their site? The Whiskey and the Calvados -oops I mean Calvador. I'm slavering over those!

--Doc.

I'm going to ask my sales rep if those are available in PA. I want to try that Calvador so badly...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I am all about apple brandies. Even more than bitters, the grace of Calvados, the amazing American history of apple jack - and its relative obscurity so many places - all these have made me particularly attentive to the stuff. I wish American Calvados-style aged apple brandies were more to my liking, but they never seem to measure up to a good Calvados. Perhaps Calvador will alter that trend.

I should say that Laird's of applejack fame does make a really good straight, well-aged apple brandy. Like their applejack, however, it is entirely of a different style than Calvados. I like to think of apple jack as apple whiskey. It seems more true to its flavor profile.

All that said, I am REALLY curious about the whiskey. They describe it like a cross between Bourbon and Scotch. I'm betting it's more like a cross between Irish and Bourbon (which is the way I view some of the Japanese Suntory whiskies as well) but at $325 a bottle, I'm not likely to find out if I'm right any time too soon.

--Doc.

Try HERE to find a distributor or to have it shipped to you for recreational use.  :biggrin:

Thanks Katie! I'm on a mission to get those yummy Charbay vodkas! :wub:

You have to promise to post any wild cocktail recipes you come up with after you've secured your stash. :biggrin:

We have the Key Lime and Blood Orange. I tasted, but haven't yet purchased the Ruby Red Grapefruit flavor. I've not tasted the Meyer Lemon, but I can't imagine that it isn't as tasty as the other flavors.

Let us all know what you think!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

It was time to split this into its component parts, so all the conversation about what constitutes a "martini" is now in this thread: A Martini by any other name

So if you con't see your posts here, it means they've been moved. If you want to talk about the language question, I'll see you in the new thread. Thanks!

Had a deelish first one of these in New Orleans, then just Googled like the dickens for a recipe when we got home. We've been using the KeKe, splash of lime and plain vodka, mostly for convenience, but also because I remember a back and forth here about the 'best' vanilla vodka. What I CAN'T remember is which was the consensus winner. :unsure: I see Stoli mentioned so far?

I tried several of the recipies found on egullet and nothing was matching up to the "Martini" (so as not to spark a debate!) we had at Morton's. As I remember it, the drink almost tasted like it was based off of a Pina Colada. So we decided to try and keep it simple. We bought some Pina Colada Mix, Fresh Limes, and mixed it with Stoli Vanilla in the blender with a little ice and Voila! I'm telling you, it tastes yummy! (So yummy I'm on #3!)

Happy Easter from one very Happy Jew! ha!