• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Parfaits

tan319

Dreary, dreary, dreary. If I had flipped through those books before going to cooking school, I would have run the other way.

If I had one at home, I would use it as a door stop.

: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: You're funny as hell, seriously.

Love the doorstop ref.

But, although he strikes me as dated and I've maybe used one recipe of his and don't own his book and probably never will, I do think he deserves just a little respect.

You strike me as a little xenephobic, in respect to pastry.

Those Spaniards are kicking a bit of French ass, no?

2317/5000

I've used a few of his recipes... is that a bad thing to say.

I don't think so. I think some of his recipes are good. Some are weird. He's definetly not on the cutting edge, but neither is most of the world.

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

Good pastry is good pastry, I don't care where it comes from or if it's cutting edge. Nancy Silverton's book, Desserts, was my first big influence. But those professional pastry chef books read like a bible for uninspired hotel or hospital chefs. Talk about drawing the life out of something vibrant. Not my cup of tea.

i tend to agree with lesleyc on this one. i bought the original one before i went to culinary school (he used to teach at california culinary academy in san francisco)...don't think i've ever used it.

haven't even bothered to look at the new one, much less waste money on it.

I commend you for your honesty.

Very surprised you haven't drawn a bit of heat though...

The 1st place I worked at here one of my comrades had it, took his class at CCA and loved him.

I'm not much for all that frilly, prissy stuff, I think that's been notated.

I like more abstract, frilly, prissy stuff :laugh:

ie; No butterflies, harlequins(sic), broadway ticket stubs made of chocolate, movie reels made of chocolate or sugar, happy/sad masks,etc.,etc.

Edited by tan319 (log)

2317/5000

I thought about giving some heat on this sub-topic. But I don't feel strongly enough to put up much of a disagreement.

I think his book has a place with students and it's a decent reference book. Nothing excites me, yet it's all solid. I use his conversion charts in the back regularly. But I'm in the camp that doesn't open it really...and I have two additions (they do fill the book cases nicely though).

Glissons book is far more useful in comparision.

BUT Nancy Silvertons books don't inspire me either! I think I own all of her books-but I don't touch them anymore then Friebergs.

Silverton's latest books, IMO, are too complicated. But I liked her first one. When I saw her vanilla-bean ice cream called for five vanilla beans, well, I almost fell off my chair. Lots to like in that first book, great emphasis on flavour at a time (late eighties) when so much about pastry revolved around looks. In that sense, I think she was revolutionary.

And, to stay on topic, there are quite a few good PARFAIT recipes in Desserts. :wink:

Silvertons books never lit me up either.

I like her talking about food, cookbooks struck me as dull.

But, are her Parfait recipes really good? :laugh:

Edited by tan319 (log)

2317/5000