• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grilling

Susan in FL

Susan,

That is quite the piece of machinery you have there!

One question, do you have the gas line coming from the house, or are you now resigned to weekly visits to the Loew's for a refill of propane.

A friend of mine recently purchased a similar behemoth, and had a propane line run from her house out to the grill with a simple quick disconnect to have it pass fire codes.

VISUALIZE PERPETUAL GRILLING! :biggrin:

Thanks! We are pretty much resigned to trips to Lowe's. How they do it at the Lowe's nearby is exchange the empty tank for a full one. A Lowe's worker gave us a tip, though... he said that having them refilled at camping grounds is inexpensive, so we're going to check that out and consider the distance and convenience factors and all. That's a great idea of a propane line, too, and well worth considering.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

THere's a difference between Propane and natural gas. If I remember correctly, people who use propane for home heating or cooking or hot water do so with large tanks outside their houses. Natural gas used for the same purpose comes into the house via a public gas utility line from the street.

If your house uses natural gas, and your grill is a tank-fueled propane one, then I think you need a different grill to run on a gas line from your house.

Look at the Weber website and note there are 2 types of gas grills offered for most models, one being propane and the other natural gas.

OGG

Thanks for the info, OGG. What Clifford mentioned would have been good to consider, but I didn't think about the difference between propane and natural gas. We're good to go with propane. I'm not about to change grills! :biggrin:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.