• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Braised Brisket: The Topic

Al_Dente

Hmmm ... which opens up yet another question for you, bloviatrix, can one put this tender a brisket in an IV drip??? :laugh: I am mainlining the gravy as I speak!

No - you can't use an IV drip - but you can make brisket foam <g,d&r>. Robyn

Does brisket foam, a la El Bulli, not capture the quintessential "being" of what brisket aims for in its brief life?? :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Hmmm ... which opens up yet another question for you, bloviatrix, can one put this tender a brisket in an IV drip??? :laugh: I am mainlining the gravy as I speak!

No - you can't use an IV drip - but you can make brisket foam <g,d&r>. Robyn

Does brisket foam, a la El Bulli, not capture the quintessential "being" of what brisket aims for in its brief life?? :laugh:

After careful reflection I think brisket is best left in it's purest form. Afterall, it is all about that melting flesh in the mouth. Sorry Adria, this is one food you're leaving alone. :laugh:

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

After careful reflection I think brisket is best left in it's purest form.  Afterall, it is all about that melting flesh in the mouth. 

Got to agree with you here, bloviatrix, on the very definition of the purist's brisket ... isn't that one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" things?... au naturel is best .. foam is best left for hair mousse, after all is said and done ... :laugh:

When cooking a brisket I want the point or second cut for the flavor and the fat or a whole brisket with a reasonably thick fat cap.

However, with all the brisket I have eaten at Passover and other times, the best thing about a brisket is when its a corned beef;IMO.

Cooked the doormat sized brisket last night at 300 for about 3 hours. I think I'll throw it back in the oven shortly at 275 for another couple of hours to get it even more tender. Flavor of the gravy is good-- still needs something. I was considering slow cooking a large sliced onion in a pan (maybe with some more cumin and coriander?) with EVOO and butter and adding that with some more s&p. Then I'll slice up the brisket, return it to the pot and let it cook for another 45 mins to an hour.

Whaddaya think?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

well we are having both brisket and turkey (a 22 pound turkey) and there are only 7 adults and one tiny baby attending. Can we say leftovers.

In my family there are two flavors of brisket. Traditional old fashioned with just lots and lots of onions, salt and pepper cooked slowly on top of the stove in a large pot gently simmering and filling the house with its fabulous wafing smells and the new traditional kind that my grandmother started making about 25 years ago after she got the recipe from a temple sisterhood buddy. This is the sweet and savoury one. You take the brisket (or heaven forbid you can use a roast beef too) plop it on a huge huge oversized piece of heavy duty aluminimum foil (double is better and heavy is a must) open a can of cranberries (whole in jelly), a package of liptons onion soup mix (I use the cheap store brand), a small can of tomato puree concentrate, and 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, don't even bother to mix or stir, seal the package tightly, throw into a low oven 250-300 for about 5 hours. Try to make this ahead of time - a few days is best. Then slice the meat properly, stick back into the "gravy" and reheat in a corningware casserole dish and serve - watch them lick the plates clean... (we make this for every family holiday including the non Jewish ones).

But I would agree with FG, more is more and is a nessecity. I consider the Jewish holidays to be the last supper syndrome - you see all this great food and think when will I get to indulge in a delicious home cooked meal like this again, so you stuff yourself silly - the great thing about Passover, is that you have 2 nights in a row. I bet the alka seltzer and tums sales rise this time of the year!!!!

Stop Tofu Abuse...Eat Foie Gras...

www.cuisinetc-catering.blogspot.com

www.cuisinetc.net

www.caterbuzz.com

Cooked the doormat sized brisket last night at 300 for about 3 hours. I think I'll throw it back in the oven shortly at 275 for another couple of hours to get it even more tender. Flavor of the gravy is good-- still needs something. I was considering slow cooking a large sliced onion in a pan (maybe with some more cumin and coriander?) with EVOO and butter and adding that with some more s&p. Then I'll slice up the brisket, return it to the pot and let it cook for another 45 mins to an hour.

Whaddaya think?

although people may not be kosher in respect to the holiday, you should avoid mixing meat and milk or in this case, butter and meat. It just wouldn't be kosher!!!

Stop Tofu Abuse...Eat Foie Gras...

www.cuisinetc-catering.blogspot.com

www.cuisinetc.net

www.caterbuzz.com

Whaddaya think?

although people may not be kosher in respect to the holiday, you should avoid mixing meat and milk or in this case, butter and meat. It just wouldn't be kosher!!!

Ooops. Okay, just EVOO then.

Crazy Gentiles.... sheesh.....

-- A.B.

I consider the Jewish holidays to be the last supper syndrome

Hey, guess what holiday the last supper was on?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Whaddaya think?

Yes to the onion, EVOO and corriander and extra cooking.

No to the butter (unless they are like my family where flavor comes before kosher) and cumin.

I'm very jealous. We're having salmon tonight :hmmm:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I'm very jealous. We're having salmon tonight :hmmm:

Salmon is better than what some of my vegetarian friends serve ... lots of vegetable casseroles .... just not the same as a brisket swimming in its own gravy ... :biggrin:

When, and if, someone says something negative about one of my dishes at the seder, I remind them, as has been recently mentioned here, "It's not the last supper you'll ever eat, you know! Tomorrow is yet another meal!" :laugh:

I'm very jealous.  We're having salmon tonight :hmmm:

Salmon is better than what some of my vegetarian friends serve ... lots of vegetable casseroles .... just not the same as a brisket swimming in its own gravy ... :biggrin:

Salmon is a hard fought win in the carnivores v. herbavores at our seder. I almost got brisket for tomorrow night, but now it's lamb. Fortunately it's dman good lamb, not paschal in the least :smile:

My first Passover. A good time was had by all. I enjoyed the experience immensely.

The gravy only needed a bit more s&p-- once it reduced, the flavor really picked up nicely. It wasn't too sweet. The ground coriander and cumin rounded out the flavor well, and there was a little zing in the background with the garlic and a bit of cayenne.

Thanks for all the advice!

Some pics for your perusal:

i5085.jpg

The brisket, trimmed of fat, poked full of holes, and stuffed with the fruit, garlic, and spice mixture. I had to saw the 7 1/2 pounder in half to fit it in the pan for searing.

i5086.jpg

Seared. I didn't sear as much as I might have normally because the sugar from the fruit was burning in the pan too easily.

i5087.jpg

Praise the braise!

i5088.jpg

This is about 1/4 of the meat after slicing. It was so tender that cutting was difficult without it just falling apart.

i5089.jpg

Reducing the gravy.

i5090.jpg

Served. Garnished with cilantro.

i5091.jpg

Roasted potatoes with silly rosemary garnish.

-- A.B.

My first Passover. A good time was had by all. I enjoyed the experience immensely.

You done good, Al Dente!! Very pleased for you that this was an unqualified success!

When's tonight's dinner? I am sure you have saved some leftovers for your eG supporters .... :laugh:

The pictures are gorgeous! Almost like actually being there! yet lacking the aromas .....

So how did it go over? It looks delicious. Did the other guests say anything about how it compared to the briskets of their past?

Everyone had good things to say. I'm always suspicious if folks are just being nice, but they sure seemed happy. Not sure about how it compared flavor-wise, but they did say it was as tender as any they've had.

-- A.B.

Not too shabby for a Goy Boy! :biggrin: Great photo documentation of the process and it looks positively luscious. I happen to be of the camp that likes the slightly sweet/fruited brisket. I know some folks are more of the savory tomato/onion soup mix persuasion when it comes to their brisket preferences. Aw heck! I actually like either, depending on who's cooking and my mood. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

My first Passover. A good time was had by all. I enjoyed the experience immensely...

That first picture scared me - I thought you had mistaken a ham for a brisket :shock: . But the rest of the pictures told a yummy looking story :smile: .

BTW - I don't know who made the potatoes - but it's nice to roast the potatoes with whole cloves of garlic and chopped up fresh rosemary. I guess you can put a twig on top for garnish - but that's a waste of fresh rosemary in my opinion. Robyn

BTW - I don't know who made the potatoes - but it's nice to roast the potatoes with whole cloves of garlic and chopped up fresh rosemary. I guess you can put a twig on top for garnish - but that's a waste of fresh rosemary in my opinion. Robyn

We did roast them with garlic and rosemary. On a whim, I just stuck a couple of sprigs in the potatoes. I restrained myself from saying "BAM". :biggrin:

-- A.B.

I restrained myself from saying "BAM". :biggrin:

Thank goodness for small miracles.

Brisket looks great, even if there was fruit in it :wink:

How's the leftover situation?