• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Menu at Phoenix Palace...

Last night we ordered from Phoenix Palace on Glentworth Street for delivery. The gentleman who took the order asked me for the names of the dishes, not the numbers, as they had changed the menu, therefore the numbers had changed.

When our food arrived (40 mins prompt) we noticed it was tastier and better than usual -

The new menu which also arrived states on the front:

"New management - New concept"

The menu now includes new dishes such as:

Beef shin in rice wine marinade

Ostrich fillet, garlic stem and lily bulb in XO sauce

Venison with yellow chive and celery

XO spicy game udon

along with many other new variations of chicken/beef/seafood etc...

I haven't been in the restaurant for a few weeks, so I'm not sure if the place looks the same or when they made the changes...

But the new menu is looking goood and the food even better.

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Is this around the corner from Baker Street? If so, I went to the older version with Mr. Tseng, and thought it was pretty good.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

It is indeed around the corner from Baker Street.

It has always been a good restaurant, and good for dim sum as well (all day, everyday!) now it seems to be better, at least judging from the quality of the stuff delivered to me last night...

I'll go by later and see if the decor has changed also.

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Please do report back Sandra - am "helping" someone make a choice between Hakkasan and PP, for the less flush among us, for this Sunday. Really like Hakkasan but might make a bigger push for Pho Pal if in fact it's snazzier and the food's as good, if not better than before... and still half the price.

FYI as a NYer, I have to laugh whenever I see things like 'the food arrived promptly 40 minutes later', it has been a real change of habit not to stand by the door expecting the bell to ring moments after I hang up the phone from placing my order...

Just walked by there - the interior looks pretty much the same, same tables and chairs, I think same walls... it's still a nice room with great chairs...

I asked about the dim sum menu and they said they had a few new items on it as well, but couldn't give me one to bring home yet...

Magnolia, I also used to live in NY and I know what you mean about the delivery, the sad part is this is the only restaurant that I know that delivers! And under an hour! That is a major advancement, I think...

Room Service and Deliverance (great name!) always take over an hour to deliver... not worth it...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Sounds good

Was always somewhat underwhelmed by PP at dinner. IMHO Golden Palace twenty minutes up the met line is far superior.

Maggie, even at your stage of advanced senility you should realise Hakksan beats PP hands down. If you're counting the pennies thing about Golden Palace. Or the place upstairs in the Wing Yip supermarket off the north circular.

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Sounds good

Was always somewhat underwhelmed by PP at dinner. IMHO Golden Palace twenty minutes up the met line is far superior.

Maggie, even at your stage of advanced senility you should realise Hakksan beats PP hands down. If you're counting the pennies thing about Golden Palace. Or the place upstairs in the Wing Yip supermarket off the north circular.

J

Which is the place at Wing Yip? I can't find an address for it... I think I've seen the supermarket, but I thought I saw it off the South Circular...

And where is the Golden Palace?

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

J

Oh, I agree - Hakkasan is excellent but it *is* twice the price, and some non-foodies just won't spend the equivalent of US$50 on dim sum.

Plus Hakkasan's ambiance made me feel I should have been wearing stilettos and fetish gear - and not everyone wants to do this for brunch :smile:

re: Golden Palace, it would take a lot to get me to go to the suburbs for dim sum, even in my advanced state of senility.

What were we talking about again? Who are you people?

Sounds good

Maggie, even at your stage of advanced senility you should realise Hakksan beats PP hands down. If you're counting the pennies thing about Golden Palace.  Or the place upstairs in the Wing Yip supermarket off the north circular.

J

Which is the place at Wing Yip? I can't find an address for it... I think I've seen the supermarket, but I thought I saw it off the South Circular...

And where is the Golden Palace?

Oh actually may be getting confused. Think its the Loon Fung supermarket on the North Circular. Not Wing Yip.

There are three along the N Circular, heading north from Hanger Lane. I think Loon Fung is the middle one. There is one very near Hanger Lane which it isn't, and another older one further away (Wing Yip) which it isn't either

Its upstairs; there's an entrance on the outside or you can get in via the spiral stairs in the supermarket lobby. Very authentic dim sum (ie full of pork fatty bits)

confused? moi?

J

ps Golden Palace is in Harrow, about ten minutes walk from Harrow on the Hill station. Featured in all the usual food guides. If you're driving park in the Tescos up the road

Edited by Jon Tseng (log)
More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!