• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lobster Oil

spoonbread

I use lobster butter more often, but for either I learned from James Peterson: break up the cooked shells with a wooden mallet, in a kitchen towel, until of manageable size for a mixer. Mix with oil until the oil is uniformly colored, about 1/2 hour. Heat in low oven for about an hour, add water to cover by couple of inches and chill. The oil will rise to the top, the shells will sink. Carefully decant off the oil (or use a separator in this step). Strain the oil through a fine mesh strainer to be sure and remove all impurities.

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

I was just curious. I make lobster oil as I would an Asian lobster stock, shells, tomato paste, ginger, mire poix and such and I like to add chiles. Add equal amounts water and oil, boil until water is dissolved, decant.

I use it as a garnish on plates, but I do like mixing it in mashers with a bit of truffle oil as well. Really, there are alot of applications.

This seems like a great site, so I was just wondering if there were any other ideas out there.

Thanx! :biggrin:

Edited by spoonbread (log)

OK, I'll bite. What do you use Lobster Oil for?

So your lobsters don't squeak, of course!

Puts a nice gloss on their shells, too.

I once had a lobster oil drizzled on subtly garlicky mashed potatoes in 1988. I haven't been able to actually eat the stuff for years (I somehow developed a nasty allergy to such beasties - don't ask me to peel shrimp without gloves, ever), but I remember that plate quite vividly.

Charlie

Walled Lake, Michigan