• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Desperately Seeking Strip Malls

DonRocks

• 2 weeks later...

I just had lunch at a vegetarian Southern Indian place, Madras Palace, in the sad little strip mall across from my office (cross of Clopper and Quince Orchard in Gaithersburg) - a pretty sizable spread of good-looking food for less than ten bucks. The saag paneer actually tasted of something other than spinach; the potato dosa was crackly-crisp to the point of shattering when you broke it; the chana masala was pleasantly tart and the chickpeas were, as far as I could tell, dried beans that had been soaked and long cooked, not mushy from a stint inside a can. Lots of vegetable dishes that were new to me as well. Best of all, no one blinks an eye if you practically fill your plate with lemon pickle and tamarind sauce.

Very sketchy decor - I guess it used to be a Shakey's, and it shows - but service was kind and the food was really rather good. Please note that I haven't been to Woodlands, and have virtually no experience with southern Indian food, so I may be completely off base on this.

Now, I can get my Indian fix here while at work - the closest Indian place to my apartment is whatever that awful restaurant is on Connecticut, just above S or T.

How about the Villa Gourmet Deli? It's not exactly in a strip mall, but that place, next to good ol' Trader Joe's, a Jenny Craig, The (ghettismo) Honey Baked Ham, some golf store, a rundown Iranian book store, a liquor store, maybe even a day care... It has all the characteristics of Rockville Pike, in fact it's even on 355

( aka Wisconsin Ave. in Bethesda)...

It's one of the saddest shopping centers I've ever seen and across the street, fur coat shops, to mark the official border of Chevy Chase (20815).

Anyway, I did this thing where I went to the gym (worked up a big hunger) and got carry out from Moby Dick's (next to Stromboli's) and then got the extras at the Villa Gourmet Deli. The place is cheap!! Dolma is some of the best I've had...and they do have beer and wine, in case you get thirsty. Does anyone know this place? Good takeout, I swear, and it's more than dolma.

I miss Scmaldi's, though, or whatever it was called over by pathetic G.C. Murphy, now 2 Amy's vacant cement back yard.

Anyway, I did this thing where I went to the gym (worked up a big hunger) and got carry out from Moby Dick's (next to Stromboli's) ... The place is cheap!! Dolma is some of the best I've had...and they do have beer and wine, in case you get thirsty. Does anyone know this place? Good takeout, I swear, and it's more than dolma.

Moby Dick's lunch specials (a different Persian homestyle dish each day, M-F) are some of the best values in the city. This is the real deal, and I've talked with several Persian people who adore it and treasure it as authentic. I've never been to the one in Bethesda, as I usually frequent the one in McLean (anyone going there will know the gregarious and friendly proprietor, Muhammad). Don't expect a kabob with these; you'll get interesting combinations like lamb (or chicken) with dill, braised beef with yellow lentils and a tomato-onion base, other interesting meats served with zest or pomegranate, all served up with must-o-keyar (a cucumber-y yogurt) and the eponymous oven-baked bread. I can't vouch for all the Moby Dicks in the Washington area, but I can say that at the McLean restaurant, you can get genuine, legit, mama's-Sunday-dinner Persian homestyle cuisine for insanely cheap prices during lunch M-F (way under $10). It transports well if you call to-go (703) 448-8448 (just ask for "one special to go" and don't worry about what it is). You'll thank me for this recommendation, I'm pretty sure.

Also look at Shamshiry in Tysons Corner for dine-in (without alcohol, I'm afraid).

Cheers,

Rocks.

I just had lunch at a vegetarian Southern Indian place, Madras Palace, in the sad little strip mall across from my office (cross of Clopper and Quince Orchard in Gaithersburg) - a pretty sizable spread of good-looking food for less than ten bucks.

If you're looking for Indian at the corner of Clopper & Quince Orchard, I'd recommend trying Bombay Dhaba (around the corner from Madras Palace). While its buffet line doesn't have the variety of Madras Palace, I find the food at Bombay Dhaba more flavorful. If you go in the evening, please don't get the buffet line, which will have become skanky, but the regular menu items are mostly pretty solid.

For those not in the area, I wouldn't consider either establishment to merit much of a trip.

I remember that Mexican restaurant being a quiet little gem of a place last time I was there (over two years ago, so take it with a grain of salt) with unassuming, friendly service and good food.  I had a very pleasant fish dish with vinegared onions and peppers.

The Mexican restaurant is called El Mariachi, and it still is a "little gem of a place". It is one of our favorite strip mall finds. I almost always get a wonderful sizzling shrimp in spiced butter with flan for dessert. They have great flan. My partner usually gets one of their two pork dishes -- both wonderful. We also really enjoy their appetizer tamales. It's a great, moderately-priced spot with very friendly service.

• 2 weeks later...
In the strip mall in front of our neighborhood (Ritchie Center in Rockville) is a sushi restaurant, a Latino market, a Pho restaurant, a Persian bakery, Pizza Hut, an Indian restaurant, a Mexican restaurant, a Chinese carry out, a Middle Eastern market and cafe, and IHOP.  All in one little strip mall.

Seen in the Montgomery County edition of The Guide, Thursday April 22:

But the possibilities are countless: Consider the Ritchie Center in Rockville where, in one small strip mall, there is Middle Eastern (along with a great Italian gelato), South American, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Mexican, a Persian bakery and an International House of Pancakes.

I think someone's been reading egullet. :hmmm:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

"There's an Egyptian restaurant in the area!"

"Anwar Sadat?"

"It's on Lee Highway in Arlington near Spout Run."

"Oum Kalsoum?"

"It's called Pasha Café."

"Tutankhamun?"

"No, I think it's the only one in DC."

Has anyone tried this place?