• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Atlanta

Barb48

My husband and I will be in Atlanta on April 4th and will be staying a week.

I would love some sugguestions for good moderately priced restaurants, as my daughter, son-in-law, and my two grandchildren will be with us.

No one is a picky eater except the son-in-law, so need a place that also serves the basic steak and potatoes. (My daughter has really tried to broaden his horizons... :sad)

We will be staying in the southeast section.

Thanks

Some people weave burlap into the fabric of our lives, and some weave gold thread. Both contribute to make the whole picture beautiful and unique."-Anon

Southeast section? Southeast inside the perimeter, outside the perimeter, south Dekalb County? Southeast part of the City of Atlanta proper (a very small part of the metro area)? Are you staying with friends/family, or at a hotel? I'm guessing the former, unless you've got some very specific reason for being in that part of town.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Sorry, I really goofed up....It will be in the Clayton, Henry County area. My daughter lives in Ellenwood, near Stockbridge.

Some people weave burlap into the fabric of our lives, and some weave gold thread. Both contribute to make the whole picture beautiful and unique."-Anon

Chances are excellent that your daughter and son-in-law are excruciatingly aware of every possible dining establishment within a 20 mile radius of their home, because they live waaaaay the heck out of town. I'd concentrate on quality time with the grandchildren, frankly.

If you're interested in a day time trip that's food-oriented (during which you could score some non-meat and potatoes fare to take back to the ranch), you could try a drive up to the Dekalb Farmers Market. There's a nice thread about it here on the Southeast forum.

If it turns out you all do decide to make it into town for some day trips to museums or whatever, let us know where and we can point you to some candidate restaurants.

Thanks Therese. You've been a big help...and will let you know if we decide to go into town.

I guess I'm just such a big "foodie" was excited about being in such a big city to find some fab places to eat. Will look forward to that when it's just my husband and I roaming the city....lol...

Thanks again! :smile:

If you're a foodie, I would echo Therese's suggestion to check out the Dekalb Farmers Market. The place is absolutely great. It's not a "farmers market" at all; it's the greatest grocery store you're likely to see.

For the meat-and-potatoes crowd, maybe some bar-b-que would be in order. Your family probably has a favorite place near home. If not, OB's on I-95 near the McDonough exit is passable, and Fresh Air in Jackson is not that far. The latter is a Georgia institution and, although I wouldn't put it among the top ten in the State, othes do. I don't know if you're from a State that considers bar-b-que a noun or a verb, but it's the South's best example or regional cuisine.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

Thanks Maf...since you echoed Therese's sugguestion about the Dekalb Farmer's Market, I'm drooling thinking of the prospect... :wub: But to fully enjoy my food adventures I will wait till hubby & I have a day or two by ourselves and enjoy my family. I don't think they would enjoy it... :wacko:

So Therese you set my mind straight! LOL

But I thank you both so much for the Farmer's Market sugguestion. Can't wait now for my next trip up there, and it will be the first place on my list to go!

Barb48, you're in luck! A new restaurant/jazz nightclub/bar just opened two weeks ago by the name of Bristo 41, just off the old downtown city square in McDonough, GA, not too far from Stockbridge. They nicely renovated an old turn-of-the-century building and set-up a great wine list. Some of the names involved with this venture carry some weight in the Atlanta culinary scene - it should be a very good choice. The phone number is (770) 320-8855. I'm not sure if there is a website yet but if I come across one I'll post it.

I hope this helps....

So who is backing this ambitious venture in McDonough?

I'm interested in knowing who's behind this too. I visit family in McDonough several times a year and would love a new option other than Pippins.

Have to say, I'm curious to see if something with "bistro" in the name will fly in McDonough.

I'm sorry the original post I made titled the restaurant; Bristo 41, however, the restaurant name is, in fact, Bistro 41. I do apologize, the information that came in from the marketing firm was a typo, but the phone number I originally gave is correct. If you would like further information on this resto I will be releasing an article very soon, I'll make a link to the article, with photo, as soon as I release it.

Can somebody tell me why I've lost many feature capabilities, such as, editing and private messaging the southeastern moderator?

Edited by Tom Maicon (log)

Can somebody tell me why I've lost many feature capabilities, such as, editing and private messaging the southeastern moderator?

Thanks for fixing the issue in such a timely fashion Dave The Cook and Jason Perlow, I figured it was something on my end. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Chances are excellent that your daughter and son-in-law are excruciatingly aware of every possible dining establishment within a 20 mile radius of their home, because they live waaaaay the heck out of town. I'd concentrate on quality time with the grandchildren, frankly.

If you're interested in a day time trip that's food-oriented (during which you could score some non-meat and potatoes fare to take back to the ranch), you could try a drive up to the Dekalb Farmers Market. There's a nice thread about it here on the Southeast forum.

If it turns out you all do decide to make it into town for some day trips to museums or whatever, let us know where and we can point you to some candidate restaurants.

:smile: Thanks Therese and maf for your advice...My husband and I had a wonderful time and yes, had some great barbeque at a place called, "Shane's Rib Shack".

And the DeKalb Farmer's Market was a paradise of gastronomic delights!

Thanks again!

Glad to hear you had a nice visit, Barb. The Dekalb Farmer's Market is one of the best things about living in Atlanta, and I live close by so do my routine shopping there. Cool to see all the tourists (easily a third of the crowd on a Saturday afternoon) in for a visit.

Haven't heard of Shane's Rib Shack---any details you remember?

Glad to hear you had a nice visit, Barb. The Dekalb Farmer's Market is one of the best things about living in Atlanta, and I live close by so do my routine shopping there. Cool to see all the tourists (easily a third of the crowd on a Saturday afternoon) in for a visit.

Haven't heard of Shane's Rib Shack---any details you remember?

I know there are two of them in the Stockbridge-Jonesboro area...The quantity of food was unbelivable, and yummy! And their Brunswick stew to die for! :smile:

Edited by Barb48 (log)