• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold tapas?

puhorst

Does anyone have any suggestions for cold tapas to offer as hors d'ouvres to my parents (who spent 3 months traveling around Spain) when they come for a visit?

I was thinking of offering some large capers, slices of manchego cheese, some olives and maybe some dried ham of some sort - but was hoping someone would give me some other ideas.

I don't want to go crazy - this would be a little nosh before dinner

I love a good aged manchego with membrillo (quince paste). These and other items including the large whie asparagus are available from http://www.tienda.com. for something you can make ahead I recommend stuffed piquillo peppers. I just bought some tuna stffed peppers, but have yet to try them. Penelope Casas book Tapas is a great source of great recipes.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Rustic bread, toasted till a little charred, sprinkled with good olive oil, rubbed with a good, juicy and pulpy tomato. Lay a few really good salt packed anchovy fillets on top. More olive oil.

More shameless idea-stealing here (under "Tapas Frias").

toasted salted almonds

one fabulous dish I will never forget from Cesare's in Berkely CA..

cold oven roasted grapes. still on the bunch.. served with prosciutto!!!

Edited by divina (log)

do you want to keep it strictly Spanish-style? Or do you want to just work in the realm of Tapas? Because I've had great small tapas-like plates that were not Spanish...

I like making a nice arugula salad dressed in bacon grease, lemon juice and garlic...take a small pinch of that and fill two thin slices of beef carpaccio like a ravioli and then top with shaved parmigiano, but you could use manchego too....

or cold-smoked duck breast with a plum marmalade in small pate brisee shells....

edit: sorry, I guess these aren't so simple...

Edited by Bicycle Lee (log)

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

Easy to prepare options:

Roasted red pepper strips in a little olive oil

Shrimp or clamari marinated in oil, lemon, garlic

Salchichón and/or chorizo sausage

"A good dinner is of great importance to good talk. One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." Virginia Woolf

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Add a little fresh thyme and lemon juice to the roasted red peppers

If good melon is hard to come by right now, you could also serve the serrano ham with persimmon slices/wedges

Also:

anchovy stuffed olives

lemon garlic olives

salted, toasted almonds (make yourself; they taste great)

Mussels in vinaigrette

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"