• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creole Cream Cheese

fifi

I have not had Creole Cream Cheese in forever. I really doubt that it can be found in any reasonable quality in Houston. I am thinking that it can be made at home. After all, we do make creme fraiche. Is this doable? Does anyone do it?

I am contemplating a breakfast of lightly sugared Creole Cream Cheese and saltine crackers that have been warmed in the oven. That was a favorite of my late FIL. Then there is the ice cream.

HELP ME! PLEASE!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Commander's Kitchen, the cookbook from Commander's Palace, has a detailed recipe. I considered trying it but never got around to it before I had to return the book to my chef.

Wow! That was fast. Mudbug, that third recipe from the cheese maker at Dorignac's is the one I will be trying. My MIL and FIL always shopped there and that is where they got their cream cheese. That was about 25 years ago so it may not be the same but that is the direction I am going to go anyway. :biggrin:

Many thanks all. If you have not tried this rare treat, you owe it to yourself. I forgot about pouring the half and half over it. Yes indeedy that is what we did.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Wow! That was fast. Mudbug, that third recipe from the cheese maker at Dorignac's is the one I will be trying. My MIL and FIL always shopped there and that is where they got their cream cheese. That was about 25 years ago so it may not be the same but that is the direction I am going to go anyway. :biggrin:

Many thanks all. If you have not tried this rare treat, you owe it to yourself. I forgot about pouring the half and half over it. Yes indeedy that is what we did.

Hoo boy. If you're at a loss as to uses for the stuff, look on that same site at the recipes for Creole Cream Cheese Cheesecake and Chocolate Creole Cream Cheese Cheesecake. I'm swooning just from glancing at them.

(And they should probably be posted on the Tongue Twisters thread, too....)

the creole cream cheese also makes a very good ice cream to serve with bananas foster bread pudding.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Oh yes... the ice cream. I forget the brand that we used to buy at Dorignac's but the ice cream was a divine treat. Oddly, it was not very sweet. That was the attraction for me. Does anyone remember what the dominant brand was 25 years ago?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"