• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to go fo a 21 year old American in London

This kid is as talented or more so than any young cook that I've ever worked with. They'll be traveling pretty light, so I'm pretty sure there is no suit. Where could they go other than Gordon Ramsay or Tom Aiken and feel comfortable at a fairly high level?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Train it out to the Fat Duck

Gordon Ramsay/Tom Aikens posh franglais can be had stateside. If you have only one shot you want to try something you're not going to be able to get back home. Also, if he is interested in the cooking side you're going to see more innovative techniques out there. Plus re dress code the place is pretty laid back.

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Agree that the Fat Duck is something that won't be found elsewhere in the UK; especially if the European Tour includes Gagnaire, El Bulli and/or Bras, Blumenthal is well worth a visit.

St John doesn't really have anything quite like it in the US, either the original or B&W.

For cooking that represents the best of "modern British" (i.e. with fewer French overtones than at Aikens, Ramsay or Pied à Terre) he could do worse than Chez Bruce.

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

Train it out to the Fat Duck

Gordon Ramsay/Tom Aikens posh franglais can be had stateside. If you have only one shot you want to try something you're not going to be able to get back home. Also, if he is interested in the cooking side you're going to see more innovative techniques out there. Plus re dress code the place is pretty laid back.

J

actually, moto and trio in chicago offer a fat duck-esque experience.

st john is the one thing you really won't get, it's not fine dining, but it's well worth it in my book.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

Thanks for all the information, I'll pass it along. Moby I'm not exactly sure about the time line, I belive he's in London on the 7th, not sure when he's getting in. As far as budget, I belive they'd like to get out for under 100 American. That will probably be somewhat limiting and I should have passed that info on in the first post, especially when using restaurants like

Gordon Ramsay and Tom Aiken as examples.

Thanks again,

Scott