• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

London Egulleteer seeks Bangalore recs

Suzi Edwards

Hello Hello.

I've been browsing the board and I am so excited about my upcoming work trip to Bangalore. Reading your posts is making my tummy rumble and I am sure I am going to have some great food.

I've started compiling a list of things and places to eat, but I was wondering if you could take a few moments to recommend places to me. I'm especially keen to hear what I really shouldn't miss and to try things that I wouldn't get elsewhere (or things that are just best in Bangalore)

Also, any suggestions about non related food stuf in Bangalore would also be nice!

Thank you in advance.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

You don't need a better guide than Episure, but its such a relief to find someone looking for food recommendations for an Indian city other than that awful place up north, that I can't resist throwing in a few recommendations. I have to say that many of my best Bangalore food memories are old and probably vanished by now, but these were still around when I last visited a year back:

1) Koshy's - this is and has been for years the central Bangalore meeting place - at least, for real Bangaloreans, and not recent immigrants drawn by Silicon Plateau of whatever they are calling it buzz. Koshy's is cavernous, dim, cool and you can sit forever over a pot of tea. If you want to meet someone in Bangalore, the easiest thing to do is just to arrange to meet there and in the course of your meeting, you'll probably bymp into whoever else you want to meet. The food is quite good too - their Malayali fish curry is excellent and they are one of the few places that makes a version of pandi curry, the Coorgi dish that's one of the few Indian dishes to use pork.

2) Mavalli Tiffin Room - the other great Bangalore food destination. The place is so famous its launched its own, pretty good, range of pickles, masalas and ready to cook Indian meals. I have to admit I have mixed feelings about MTR's food itself - yes, I know that would be counted as heresy, not least by my father who when he's in Bangalore is regularly out there at the crack of dawn to be among the first through its gates in the morning. To my taste the food (South Indian vegetarian) is a bit heavy and rich for the sake of being rich, but there are times it works. They have a Sunday dessert called Chandrahara which is about a zillion calories a mouthful, but its simply divine.

3) Cafe Schorlemmer - its on the roof of the Max Mueller Bhavan on Lavelle Road. Its a lunch place run by this German guy and his Indian wife. Its Western food, and no matter how much one wants to eat Indian food in India, there are times when one wants a break, so take it here. Excellent salads, steaks, desserts.

Vikram

• 2 weeks later...

London EG,

Don't forget to visit Peco's a cult pub (just of Brigade road). They serve only draught beer.

Also, visit any of the many Andhra style cuisine places - be careful of your tum though.

Also try a place called Sunny's which serves some great food.

Tulleeho!

Vikram

(Tull-ee-ho! : A combination of the old hunting cry Tally Ho! and the colloquial Hindi word "tullee" (used both as verb and noun, and signifying a state of inebriation).

Tulleeho

Tull-ee-ho! : A combination of the old hunting cry Tally Ho! and the colloquial Hindi word "tullee" (used both as verb and noun, and signifying a state of inebriation).

London EG,

Don't forget to visit Peco's a cult pub (just of Brigade road). They serve only draught beer.

Also, visit any of the many Andhra style cuisine places - be careful of your tum though.

Tulleeho!

Vikram

(Tull-ee-ho! : A combination of the old hunting cry Tally Ho! and the colloquial Hindi word "tullee" (used both as verb and noun, and signifying a state of inebriation).

Tulleeho

Tull-ee-ho! : A combination of the old hunting cry Tally Ho! and the colloquial Hindi word "tullee" (used both as verb and noun, and signifying a state of inebriation).

London EG,

Tulleeho!

Vikram

Tulleeho

London EG,

Tulleeho!

Vikram

Tulleeho

London EG,

Tulleeho!

Vikram

Tulleeho

London EG,

Tulleeho!

Vikram

Tulleeho