• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lent

I gave up chocolate. In any form. I'm about to go insane.

Counting the days till Holy Saturday.

My kids, instead of giving something up. do something "extra". Donate their lunch money to the food bank. Actually try to be nice to one another. Do a chore without my asking. Tell me "Mom, you look skinny in that outfit". :laugh:

The good deeds usually carry over well past Lent.

• 11 years later...

Has anyone given up any type of food or drink for Lent? 

As silly as it sounds, I have up peanuts/ peanut butter. It's been a week and I'm lured by the Reese's commercials and the jars of peanut butter staring me down in the fridge. I LOVE peanut butter. Like by the spoonful. So this not easy. 

I wonder if almond butter may be a decent substitute. 

No bacon for me.  Or any cured pig bits that might substitute.  I don't eat that much meat but had gotten rather fond of adding a little bacon here and there.  The other night, I really wanted some pasta carbonara but all in all, this is not as hard as giving up wine, which I've done for the last few Lents.  

Also trying to cook from my pantry/freezer and shop as intentionally as possible. 

Years ago I gave up Diet Pop ( I never drank regular pop ).. starting on lent.. never had one in 10 yrs at least.

Sweets was another one..  which Made me reduce consumption by a ton!!

Now I wish I could cut out Chips and salty snacks..Yikes

Its good to have Morels

I know :)  For me the theory is easy, the fulfillment is harder.  It's as if the thing you give up becomes larger than life and you will fall to the temptation.  For me, its usually pizza or plain pasta with a plain tomato sauce, or we'll do breakfast for dinner with fruit, eggs, pancakes or french toast and maybe sauteed tomatoes (I tell them it's an English breakfast without the bacon!).  When I am ambitious, I make a frittata with the veggies I like (red peppers, asparagus or broccoli), onions and a lot of cheese.  Funny how I can say no to a rotisserie chicken or tacos on a Friday night during Ordinary Time, but during Lent, they're  like a beacon for those seven Fridays.

11 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

So what do you guys eat on Fridays?

I ate a vegetarian diet (with the exception of an annual Dodger dog or 2xD) for 20+ years and still don't eat meat all that often so meatless Fridays aren't really an issue.  I like to make a simple vegetable soup for Lenten Friday suppers.  I think I've made the super simple Gordon Ramsay broccoli soup with every cruciferous vegetable and some others and used to refer to it as "Purée of CSA Box."  Almost all of them were simple, warming and delicious and if not well, it's Lent so I'd just offer it up!

11 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

my birthday is St. Patricks day and I'm Irish

My mother always told us that if you're Irish, then St. Patrick's Day isn't part of Lent xD 

• Like 1