• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[SEA] Favorite Food Pub?

Where do y'all go when you want a beer and a sandwich or an uncomplicated entreé, and you want them done right? Tell us your candidate for the trifecta: good beer, good atmosphere, and food that you'd cross more than a couple of neighborhoods for.

My current front-runners:

Bad Albert's (Ballard): I posted a review of this not too long ago, so y'all know how I feel about the oyster po'boy.

Attic Alehouse and Eatery (Madison Park): This one is actually pending further evaluation -- it's definitely got the "close to home" bias working for it.

cameron

i play the rock. you shake the booty.

Those are my two favorites as well. I only wish the Attic was in Ballard. I've never had any of their specials (ie spaghetti night)-only the sandwiches-but they do those just right.

Edited by kiliki (log)

Well, awhile back I would have told you... Hilltop Alehouse; 74th Street Alehouse;(and some of ya'll have heard me sing this song of bitch & moan before) BUT they've gone downhill in terms of food as of the last year or so. maybe two years or so. They used to have IMO the BEST pub food in town.

Recent rumblings I've heard in terms of GOOD: the Jolly Roger (Maritime Pacific's pub), Reading Gaol on 65th and 5th NW, Fred's Rivertown Alehouse in Snohomish (I've been there, its good pub food). Elysian and Tangletown's food is uneven at best. I've had excellent food at the Hale's Brewery (aka House of Hales), but I've heard some not so stellar reports lately.

Good luck, post some reviews for us if you go out snacking...

Born Free, Now Expensive

I'll second the Jolly Roger Taproom under the Ballard bridge. Maritime Pacific beer, good food, and an interesting atmosphere. It was mentioned in one of the major papers within the last couple of months (can't post the link, not that smart) as being really good.

Stellar Pizza in Georgetown was really good the last time I was there. Good, if somewhat predictable sandwiches (why didn't I try the pizza?), cool atmosphere that probably gets even cooler at night, and very attentive service even though it was busy. Go, go, go.

Norm's in Fremont was a hell of a surprise. Good food, good beer, and when I was there during the day it was deserted so I could watch the Food Network on their TV in peace.

Cooper's on 80th and Lake City Way is okay. The food doesn't try too hard and comes out pretty good, the beer selection is excellent, and the room has to be appreciated for what it is - pool tables, darts, tall bar stools, and college girls (some nights).

Wedgewood Ale House - great beer, good food, smoky room. The space is interesting for it's lack of design. Square room? How about a low horseshoe bar in the middle, and... maybe some tables, and... that's it.

Nickerson Street Saloon - south side of the Fremont bridge. Good beer selection, although it's heavy in the popular microbrews (mac 'n jack's, pyramid, etc.), food that sticks to the basics for the most part, and a spacious room that always seems to be half empty when I'm there. I'm not that cool though. It probably gets packed. Safe, but not terribly interesting. Has carpeted floors.

Out of town the Conway Tavern has solid American pub food, good beer, and an atmosphere that is all blue-collar. A good stop on the way to, or from, the tulips in La Conner in the spring. (Be careful driving.)

In La Conner, the La Conner Pub has the best beer around, good, slightly upscale food, and a modern decor. Ask to see the brewery and you might be led through the door behind the bar to drink beer right from the fermentation tanks. You may knock down a few blue hairs there for the antiques in the process.

That's eight so far. Let us know in a week...

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

I'd second the recommendation for Norm's Eatery in Fremont. Their bonus: home made potato chips.

The other place I recently tried is The Barking Dog. It's in an odd location in Ballard (705 NW 70th). I'm not a really a beer fan, but I had a great "vintage" Fullers there.

One of our fall back places is Nickerson Street. They make a decent burger and, unless there is a big game on, we can always get a table.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Stellar Pizza in Georgetown was really good the last time I was there.  Good, if somewhat predictable sandwiches (why didn't I try the pizza?), cool atmosphere that probably gets even cooler at night, and very attentive service even though it was busy.  Go, go, go.

Another vote for Stellar (fka Stella) Pizza. Probably the best and certainly the most interesting pizza that I've had in Seattle. Interesting selection of beers on tap, including a Georgetown brew that you don't find a lot of other places.

I will say that I wouldn't describe the service I've had there as "attentive", but I'm not really expecting much in that style of place either.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I recently tried the Jolly Roger. I ordered off the bar menu, rather than the dinner menu, which seemed a little eclectic and ambitious. The bar menu offers many "mini" sandwiches, from oysters and mahi mahi to burgers, and we ordered an assortment. They all came with just shredded lettuce and big, puffy buns-fried oysters with lettuce and bun, fish with lettuce and bun, etc. No sauce, salsa, or aioli (though there were homemade hot sauces on the bar). So after a few bites it was pretty boring. The onion rings were good, though.

Good to hear about the Jolly Roger. We've driven by it several times...on our way to Bad Albert's :biggrin: Next time, we'll stop. Norm's sounds fun, too.

I'm bummed to hear that I missed the heyday of the 76th Street Alehouse. We used to live near there, and it had a nice vibe. But after a couple of disappointing dinner visits, we stopped going.

Also, add my name to the bad vibe about the food at Hale's. I dearly love their beer, and it blinded me for months to the fact that their chow is...well...bad.

c

For good food & beer I give a thumbs up to the Celtic Bayou Brewpub & Far West Ireland Brewing Company in Redmond. Some friends and I stopped there for lunch and IPA recently after a walk in Marymore Park and I was pleasantly surprised. The front area was a little noisy, so we sat in the back next to the fireplace where it was quiet and cozy. In addition to regular pub food (which I didn't try) they have remarkably good Cajun food. I really liked the Etouffe w/ Crawfish.

malarkey, is that in your neck of the woods? ... have you been there and can you confirm or did I hit it on one good day?

Celtic Bayou Brewpub & Far West Ireland Brewing Company

7281 W. Lake Sammamish Pkwy. Redmond, WA 98052 (about a minute's drive from from Marymore Park)

(425)869-5933

I used to like going to Redhook out in Woodinville, but have not been in about a year. Anybody been there recently who can comment on it?

Been to Celtic Bayou, many times. In fact, one of its owners is someone I used to work with :smile: hiya Rob :wink:

Why I didn't think of this, I don't know. I guess I always automatically think "Seattle" when it comes to anything. Yes, CB has really decent Cajun, and the other stuff isn't bad either. Everytime I've been there the food is more than acceptable, its good. And their beers are pretty damn good too.

The eastside does have a Rock Bottom, but I've not been to it. Plus there's that brewpub on the redmond/woodinville hiway... (which I went to once in its original incarnation and it stunk, both the food and the beer) And ever since they lost the Rose Hill Ale House *sniff* I guess I haven't paid much attention...

Born Free, Now Expensive

oh- I was at Redhook last spring, so not real recently. The food there is adequate if uninspired. None of it is horrible, but its not memorable either. Its a really good stop on the bike trail though :rolleyes:

Born Free, Now Expensive

The eastside does have a Rock Bottom, but I've not been to it.

Oog. Given the T.G.I. Fridays nature of the food at the Rock Bottom in Seattle, I can't say that I'd be rushing over to sample the Eastside version.

My husband and I really like Tangletown! They have great burgers but I agree that other entrees are hit and miss. Nothing terrible, it might just be a bit off. I also like the Hilltop but only when I want some good soup and a beer. Or in the winter they make meat pies! mmmmmmm!

My favorite is the George and Dragon in Fremont for a pint and shepard's pie! And if it happens to be Tuesday trivia night then all the better. :)

Hello all,

The Fidderler's Inn, a few blocks up the street from the Wedgwood, has a nice soup/salad/sandwhich menu and a very interesting selection of rotating beers on top. However, they have suprisingly good pizza too. The deck is very pleasant in the summer.

The Dock in Fremont is a bit on the seedy end, but they have large menu and the food is really quite good, a lot better than your typical bar fare.

The Triangle also in Fremont used to have great, innovative food, but has been on a long, slow downhill slide for years. However, nowdays they have given up trying to make fancy stuff and their standard chow is really not too bad. Their happy hour prices on food are very reasonable.

Welcome Adiabatic!

I like The Fiddlers Inn too. They have good live music sometimes. I forget about it because it is not part of the regular route I follow.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

ooh my favorite is the Pacific Inn on 34th and Stoneway, the best fish and chips, good lemon chicken sandwich. And funny parking lot-side deck.

I'm always on the lookout for good fish & chips. I used to love 'em at the Red Door in Fremont (along with the chowder), but apparently sometime last year some zombie broke into the kitchen and ate all the staff's brains. Very sad.

c

• 2 weeks later...

Another pub report: A few people had recommended Norm's, a fairly new place on Leary in Fremont, so I tried it the other night. They make homemade potato chips which are quite good, and their french fries are terrific. My boyfriend's sirloin sandwich was very tasty. I had the homemade mac and cheese which was pretty good, not really special (though it was actually radiatore and a fontina sauce). Most of the menu was stuff I just don't trust a pub to make well-pastas, satays, salmon, etc., but I'd go back for that sirloin sandwich anytime.

I'll also say that for the life of my I don't know why people rave about the Pacific Inn's fish and chips. It's pretty standard panko coated deep fried fish, IMO.

Edited by kiliki (log)

I'll also say that for the life of my I don't know why people rave about the Pacific Inn's fish and chips. It's pretty standard panko coated deep fried fish, IMO.

I heartily agree with you, Kiliki. I found their fish and chips highly ordinary. However, that sirloin sandwich at Norm's sounds great. Thanks for the review!

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

Where do y'all go when you want a beer and a sandwich or an uncomplicated entreé, and you want them done right? Tell us your candidate for the trifecta: good beer, good atmosphere, and food that you'd cross more than a couple of neighborhoods for.

I like the People's Pub in Ballard. A lot.

The bar is in the rear and they have a great selection of hard to find German beers, a full bar, and a mostly German menu (though its focus Southwestern German and may be slightly different than the Bavarian fare we usually get here in America).

I'm a big fan of the Jaegerschnitzel, and their spaetzle is at least as good as my great-grandmother's, and made in-house. I know the sauces are all done from demi-glace, so they are pretty richly flavored.

The atmosphere is right up my alley: cozy, and a good cross-section of a pretty vibrant neighborhood.

This is my first post to this forum (thanks to Anita for pointing a fellow food lover in the right direction)...

If you ever find yourself lost on Mercer Island, its worth checking out the "other" pub on the island. I'm not talking about the Roanoke (checkered history, cool atmosphere on a summer night, not so hot food), but about the Islander (formerly "The Pleasant Hour" formerly "The Islander") located above True Value Hardware in the downtown MI business district.

Several years ago, the place was transformed from a dive bar into a polished wood and brass "upscale" kind of establishment. The food as a whole is kind of hit or miss, but the burgers are first-rate, ground sirloin, thick and cooked to order. The pub also has a decent selection of microbrews on tap. The place has (unfulfilled) aspirations to be a finer dining kind of establishment, but you won't go wrong with an Islander Burger--bleu cheese, steak sauce, etc.--and a cold pint of Mac and Jacks.

Despite the obscure location, this is my favorite place in town for a beer and burger.

MW

ANOTHER pub report:

Someone, here I think, mentioned the Barking Dog at 705 NW 70th, so I tried it tonight. It is my new favorite bar to eat in. They have an excellent selection of Belgian beers, including some draft, and a full bar. Nice decor, but it feels very comfortable. Mariners game on the flat screen tv. The place is more like a restaurant than a bar except that we seated ourselves. The menu was great and we all liked our food-gumbo, french dip, halibut and chips. The bread pudding dessert had too many raisins and not enough bourbon in the bourbon sauce, but hey, that's just me being picky.

Edited by kiliki (log)