• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eccoqui -- Eccola

Kear

Does anyone know if these related places are still in business. I haven't been up on RT46 in awhile, but I do know they closed the gourmet retail outlet awhile ago. I have no idea about the Bernardsville location.

Ambiance CAN be as important as the food!

Had lunch here a couple of weeks ago. Let me say 1st, I trained under Tim Principale, chef at Eccola 20 years ago when he worked for my father at the now closed Italian Chalet in Denville so I'm a little biased. I find for lunch they are very expensive. Entrees up to $18 for pasta, homemade pasta but never the less pasta. I had a Spedini Romano for a app, white bread stuffed with proscuitto & mozzarella and served in a anchovie & lemon sauce. This was always a personal favorite of mine and I look forward to having it here. Next Tim made me Venison with wild mushrooms which wasn't on the menu. Good, but I've been doing variations of this dish for years. Can't remember what my friends had but Tim and I caught up on old times and had quite a few laughs remembering the decandant 80's.

ALthough it's been well over a year since my last visit, I have reliable friends who still go to Eccola on a regular basis. My take is that the food was always good, but I walked out every time thinking it was too expensive for what it was. Just my .02!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Menton, my exception to that statement is that eccola is not a standard red sauce italian place. Its not serving glorified pizza parlor food. It may very well serve southern italian food, but its got an open kitchen and most definitely approaches the more high end of a medium-level place in dining environment. I've never been to eccoqui but I'd imagine the environment is similar if not slightly casualized.

Personally I'd be very happy if there was a place of its caliber here in bergen county.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Personally I'd be very happy if there was a place of its caliber here in bergen county.

Jason, the menu at Eccoqui looks remarkably similar to Fratelli in Ridgewood-- have you been there?

Edited by menton1 (log)

A huge difference between the two are that Eccola's pastas are homemade, at least the majority, if not all.

Fratelli claims that their pasta is homemade, as well. (Not on the internet, but on the in-person menu.)

We stopped at Bernardsville on Saturday. Split an anti pasti for 2 . Huge mound of greens covered completely by large pieces of Italian meats and cheeses, olives, anchovy and fresh roasted sweet red peppers. (15.95)

My wife had shrimp and scallops over homemade linguine w/ a white wine sauce. I had homemade cnocchi ,(sp), and filet tips w/ a great brown gravy and blue cheese on top.

Both were specials and were 17.95 and 16.95 respectively.

Lou, if you read this. Iit's easy to see how you evolved into the chef you are today with this training in your backround.

Ambiance CAN be as important as the food!

A huge difference between the two are that Eccola's pastas are homemade, at least the majority, if not all.

Fratelli claims that their pasta is homemade, as well. (Not on the internet, but on the in-person menu.)

Another footnote-- in Italy, 99% of pasta served in restaurants is the dried type-- homemade is rare-- and over there, the pasta is FABULOUS!!

Last time I looked the the chef owner of both locations was Nenad (Nino) Tamburin. His wife, Janet, is the pasrty chef there. Nino owned the Chessman Bistro that burned down many years ago. Nino worked as a waiter at Guissepi Marata (spelling may be wrong) during the time he rebuilt the property into Eccola. He is Croation by nationality. I find his food style along the style of Lidia Bastianich. Not red sauce predominantly. She came from Istria which is near Croatia.l

Not sure what the relationship is with Tim Principale.

Surprised no one mentioned the look of the restaurant itself. This design was way ahead of its time for New Jersey. I still love the look. Don't feel like it is a strip mall place once inside.

Viejo

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

Just left there after having lunch. I'll let The Rock comment as he had a different perspective then I did. Rock, be careful before I St John's you. :laugh:

Thoughts to follow but if you do that I may Statin Island you! :laugh:

A.D.S.