• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bizarre Reactions...

This reminds me of an episode of the Cosby Show.

They go out to a fairly fancy restaurant, and one of the Huxtable kids (or maybe it was Rudy's friend Peter) orders a burger.

The burger comes out, Angus style, with a big old Kaiser roll, fixins and all. The kids just look a the burger, dumbfounded. The burger is tall and juicy. The kids don't touch it.

Dr. Huxtable takes the burger, takes out the fixins, and then smushes the burger down so that it's flattened like a typical fast food burger. The kids put on ketchup, smiles come back, and they happily eat their "new" burgers.

:laugh:  Adam, I've heard many comments from Germans regarding ...well, most vegetables.  Mainly, that they would be better served as ham.   :rolleyes: 

(Savory pumpkin was one of my favorites things to have in Oz.  I won't be finding it here anytime soon.  Perhaps when we hit the UK)

Actually, squash comes in many varieties in Germany and is fairly popular, though not as readily available as here in the U.S. Halloween is even making inroads, and pumpkins can be had -- I saw many in the supermarkets last fall. Check out this link for Kürbis info.

If you know anyone at a U.S. military base, you can get canned pumpkin. I made Thanksgiving dinner for 10 straight years in N. Germany, and pumpkin pie was always a hit. But, I had a friend at the Frankfurt base and he hooked me up for canned pumpkin through the P/X.

I don't get the comment about Germans and vegetables. I've always found Amis to be less inclined to care about them. My German favs include:

-- A salad made of a lettuce variety called Nüßchen. My MIL know to serve it for several meals each time I visit.

-- A Quark-based sauce called grüne Soße that contains a myriad of fresh herbs, usually served with boiled potatoes.

-- White asparagus (Spargel), whose season will soon be upon you. IMO, there is no finer meal than plaice (Maischolle) and asparagus.

-- Leeks (Lauch) are very common and used diversely, particularly in soups.

-- Kale (Grünkohl) forms the basis for the ultimate German winter comfort food.

-- Cabbage, in all its iterations, is much higher on the veggie consumption scale in Germany than in the U.S.

-- And tomatoes, onions, and cucumbers are as widely seen and consumed as they are here.

Also, ham may be a staple (over beef, especially in view of the BSE scare still raging), but fish and fowl dishes can be found in any respectable restaurant, though perhaps without the diversity we know here in the U.S.

Edited by cinghiale (log)

cinghale- In no way was I trying to suggest that Germans don't eat vegetables. I was merely passing on the fact that many Germans themselves joke about this issue, and it fit in with what Adam had said just before me.

Unfortunately, I have to disagree on the pumpkin/squash issue. They might be popular in the Frankfurt area, but we didn't find any here in my tiny city in the Ruhr region. Perhaps if I made the hour-long trek to Düsseldorf or Köln, but it isn't mainstream enough to have made it to Bochum! Jck o'lantern pumpkins aren't the sort that I was referring to; the Aussies use a nice, small, green pumpkin (sugar pumpkin, perhaps?) for eating. (no friends on American bases... not even sure there is one around here)

Ling- I love your celery story! :laugh: