• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gluten Allergy

EllenC

I have a friend who recently found out she is allergic to gluten. Wheat is now a complete no-no in her diet. However, she is a normal human and wants dessert. She eats flourless chocolate cake and I have converted a wonderful butter cookie recipe to use rice flour but the reality is that woman cannot live by shortbread alone.

I am kinda taking this as a fun challenge and thought I would start by asking my favorite website full of foodies - do any of you have ideas for recipes (I know Marlene - I will take responsibility for putting them in the archive.) or how to convert recipes to other types of flours. I am at a loss here because she wants pastry, and flour (and gluten!) is one of the key building blocks.

Please help.

Thanks.

(I know Marlene - I will take responsibility for putting them in the archive.)

:biggrin: Can she have spelt flour?

Also, here is a Flourless Chocolate Torte which is absolutely decadent.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

People with gluten intolerance can't have any of those wheat relatives like spelt and kamut, and they can't have rye. They also can't have oats, I've heard, because even though oats don't really have gluten they might pick some up during processing.

Ellen,

Here are a few useful links to hopefully get you and your friend started.

This one has umpteen links to endless resources for supplies, recipes, etc.

This one is a great magazine that is another endless resource. Their website has some pretty good recipies, as do the actual magazines.

Good luck and have fun!

Spoon!

My wife and kids have the same issue with gluten. We have bought some great gluten free baking books and the stuff works (pause while reading to mimic me going to the shelf to get them)

Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread (Bette Hagman)

Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Health (Bette Hagman)

Gluten Free Kitchen (ROben Ryberg)

We also keep meringues and macaroons on hand for easy dessert.