• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum advice for Miami and/or Spain?

khoiberg

I'm visiting Miami and Spain in an upcoming vacation. I'd love advice on shops/bars/restaurants or whatever that is rum-related in these destinations?

I was particularly hoping that Miami, with proximity to Cuba and the Caribbean, might have something rum to offer.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Hi,

In Spain they make nice Rum themselves. Arehucas is very good, specially their Captain Kidd Rum. 20 years old in a very nice package.

Their site: www.arehucas.com and www.arehucas.es

I will check my info on bars later when i am at home.

Best regards,

Rene :blink:

The more information, the better.

Rene van Hoven

www.Rumpages.com

You will find Cuban Rum in supermarkets in Spain. There's a US embargo on Cuban products.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

One other note as concerns the U.S. Cuban embargo for your piece of mind: having Cuban GOODS is legal. Americans buying them (or spending ANY money in Cuba) is not. Therefore within duty limits, you need not worry about buying them in Spain or bringing them back with you.

--Doc.

I would be wary of bringing Cuban rum into the U.S. without "worry" unless you can PROVE to the customs agent that it is not contraband. The following is copied from the U.S. Customs site with "cigars" replaced by [rum]:

Only persons returning from Cuba after a licensed visit there are permitted to bring Cuban [rum] into the United States, provided the value of such [rum] does not exceed $100 US dollars and the [rum] is for that individual's personal use and not for resale. All other importations of Cuban [rum] are illegal. All offers to buy or sell such [rum] in the United States involve [rum] that was imported illegally. Contrary to what many people may believe, it is illegal for travelers to bring into the United States Cuban [rum] acquired in third countries (such as Canada, England, or Mexico).

It is also illegal for U.S. persons to buy, sell, trade, or otherwise engage in transactions involving illegally-imported Cuban [rum]. The penalties for doing so include, in addition to confiscation of the [rum], civil fines of up to $55,000 per violation and in appropriate cases, criminal prosecution which may result in higher fines and/or imprisonment.

These prohibitions are applicable to all goods of Cuban origin and are an important element of the comprehensive program of economic sanctions against the Cuban Government which have been in place since 1963. Those sanctions have had the support of the last seven Administrations.