• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creme de Violette

zora

Zach Pearson's Rose Window is a violette monster.

I finally remembered this drink at the same time a having a pineapple on hand. Not bad, I do like the way Violette and Campari play together. The color is amazing though, a really striking pale purple. Not something I would likely repeat, but I am very glad I finally got around to trying it. 

• 3 years later...

My first Creme de Violette cocktail, it has become one of my favorites.

Death & Co's Bella Luna

• 2 oz Plymouth Gin
  • 3/4 oz St. Germain
  • 3/4 oz Lemon juice
  • 1/2 oz Creme de violette (substituted for Yvette)
  • 1 tsp Simple syrup

IMG_2667.JPG.754547b80d002e5ef1773256ee02b571.JPG

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

When I purchased my bottle of R&W, it was the only kind of violette available in this area. Now there are quite a few other options. Since its time for me to buy a new bottle and since the first one lasted several years, I'm hoping I can get some guidance on which brand I should purchase next. I know for certain that besides the R&W I can get hold of Pages, Tempus Fugit, Bitter Truth, and I think I can find Giffard. I've searched for reviews online but they are few and far between and not always trustworthy. Any thoughts on the qualities of any of these labels that might suggest one over a repurchase of R&W? Thanks

12 hours ago, Vieux Carré said:

When I purchased my bottle of R&W, it was the only kind of violette available in this area. Now there are quite a few other options. Since its time for me to buy a new bottle and since the first one lasted several years, I'm hoping I can get some guidance on which brand I should purchase next. I know for certain that besides the R&W I can get hold of Pages, Tempus Fugit, Bitter Truth, and I think I can find Giffard. I've searched for reviews online but they are few and far between and not always trustworthy. Any thoughts on the qualities of any of these labels that might suggest one over a repurchase of R&W? Thanks

I enjoy Tempus Fugit but I don't have much experience with other brands.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou