• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cherry brandy

Okay, Gary, you've mentioned the Blood and Sand twice now, and you've got me intrigued. I love Scotch, but rarely use it in cocktails, so this sounds like a great opportunity.

When you say "cherry brandy" though, what exactly do you mean? I think Grand Marnier is made in a cherry version -- is that it? The only cherry liqueur I've had (aside from Maraschino, and I know that's a whole different animal) is Cherry Heering, which to my mind is ungodly sweet.

And just because I'm lazy and don't want to go back and find the thread where you mentioned an "upgraded" version of the Blood and Sand, can you refresh my memory on that too?

The Charry Marnier or Cherry Heering are both the correct sort of cherry brandy for this drink, but neither is currently being imported to the USA. So, if you have neither, and can't find a retailer with old stock, I'm afraid you'll have to use somethink like Bols or Marie Brizzard (both are decent brands, though).

I don't remember posting anything about an upgraded B&S on e-Gullet. Are you thinking of this week's Ardent Spirits newsletter? We gave a recipe for a B&S using Johnnie Walker Blue Label--Mardee dubbed it a Blue-Blood and Sand!

“The practice is to commence with a brandy or gin ‘cocktail’ before breakfast, by way of an appetizer. Subsequently, a ‘digester’ will be needed. Then, in due course and at certain intervals, a ‘refresher,’ a ‘reposer,’ a ‘settler,’ a ‘cooler,’ an ‘invigorator,’ a ‘sparkler,’ and a ‘rouser,’ pending the final ‘nightcap,’ or midnight dram.” Life and Society in America by Samuel Phillips Day. Published by Newman and Co., 1880.

The Charry Marnier or Cherry Heering are both the correct sort of cherry brandy for this drink, but neither is currently being imported to the USA. So, if you have neither, and can't find a retailer with old stock, I'm afraid you'll have to use somethink like Bols or Marie Brizzard (both are decent brands, though).

I don't remember posting anything about an upgraded B&S on e-Gullet. Are you thinking of this week's Ardent Spirits newsletter? We gave a recipe for a B&S using Johnnie Walker Blue Label--Mardee dubbed it a Blue-Blood and Sand!

I'll check with my best source for hard-to-find stuff. At the very least, they carry a pretty complete selection of Marie Brizzard, so I should be able to find that.

And, now that you mention it, I was thinking of the JW Blue version -- I think you referred to in passing in another thread. When I sell my book, I'll celebrate and try it. Until then, do you have any favorite Scotch to use in the drink? Dewars, Teachers and Black and White are my standbys.

I think the Dewars is a little light to use in this drink, though Teachers should work well, and I'm afraid I'm drawing a blank on the last time I tasted B&W so can't comment. Johnnie Walker Red works well, and I think that Dewars 12-year-old would be a good choice. And don't forget White Horse--a good whisky at bargain basement price.

“The practice is to commence with a brandy or gin ‘cocktail’ before breakfast, by way of an appetizer. Subsequently, a ‘digester’ will be needed. Then, in due course and at certain intervals, a ‘refresher,’ a ‘reposer,’ a ‘settler,’ a ‘cooler,’ an ‘invigorator,’ a ‘sparkler,’ and a ‘rouser,’ pending the final ‘nightcap,’ or midnight dram.” Life and Society in America by Samuel Phillips Day. Published by Newman and Co., 1880.

Gary-

Is that made with cherry brandy or with kirsch (made from sour cherries)? Are they the same? oHIo doesn't permit the sale of Kirsch, for whatever reason, but I have a bottle from the last time I travelled out of state, and use it solely for my cheese fondues! :biggrin:

No, it's not kirsch. Kirsch is an eau de vie, and although in a literal sence it IS a cherry brandy, the style you want for a B&S is a liqueur--it will be red and sweet, rather than clear and dry.

I think the Dewars is a little light to use in this drink, though Teachers should work well, and I'm afraid I'm drawing a blank on the last time I tasted B&W so can't comment. Johnnie Walker Red works well, and I think that Dewars 12-year-old would be a good choice. And don't forget White Horse--a good whisky at bargain basement price.

What about Famous Grouse?

--

Okay, I'm hooked.

I just went out, bought some scotch, came home and made a Blood and Sand.

Sort of. I didn't buy any cherry brandy, because the only bottle I could find was huge, and I wasn't sure I wanted to make that much of a commitment. But I did have on hand a big jar of Amarena Fabbri cherries, so I figured I could use some of the syrup from that instead.

Then, I when I grabbed the bottle of sweet vermouth from the bar, I realized there was only about a teaspoon left, but I did have a bottle of Lillet Rouge, which is close enough for me.

So, my version of the Blood and Sand was 1/2 ounce each Scotch, Lillet Rouge and orange juice (I used fresh squeezed), with about 1 1/2 teaspoons of the syrup from the cherries. It's amazingly good; sweetish but not cloying, but it doesn't taste much of the Scotch, which surprised me. I wish I had a digital camera, because it was a very cool looking drink -- the cherry syrup gave it just the hue and texture that you'd think a drink called Blood and Sand would have

Now of course I'm wondering how it compares with the original, so I may have to run out and buy the cherry brandy after all.

Not very Scotchy eh? Are you using equal parts? My preferred recipe is

1 ounce Scotch

1 ounce orange juice

3/4 ounce cherry-flavored brandy (Cherry Heering or Cherry Marnier are best.)

3/4 ounce sweet vermouth

This both dries it up a bit and allows the Scotch to stand a bit taller.

--Doc.

Okay, for my second one, I tried your proportions (less of my cherry syrup, though) and it definitely gets the scotch up front more. I think my syrup is still throwing it off a bit, even though I eased up even more on it.

It's been a while since I've had Cherry Heering, and although from my recollection, the syrup I have matches the flavor pretty well, it doesn't add the extra alcohol. So that's undoubtedly a factor.

For the record, I'm using a scotch I hadn't tried before, recommended by my spirits shop. It's called "The King of Scots" by Douglas Laing & Co. It's pretty good, but lighter than I expected (I'd gone in asking for Teachers, which I guess is no longer to be found in these parts) and the guy said this would be similar. I remember Teachers as having more smoke and peat -- this is a lot like Dewars. Guess I should have gotten the Famous Grouse.

Well, it was a promising start. I'll continue to experiment.

My Partner in one of my Hong Kong Restaurants was 'Sandy Walker" the Great Grandson of Johnny Walker and Grandson of Sir Alexander Walker who founded "Distillers Company Limited".

I enjoyed "Blood & Sand" prepared at their home in London made by his Father so much that he gave me several bottles of the German Cherry Liquor that the Family Traditionally used together with 6 bottles of his fathers favorite Scotch Whiskey's that are still cellared at my son's house.

The German Black Cherry Liquor is called: "Weis Kirsch Schnapp's" it's 20% Alcohol by Volume and is definitely a Cordial not a Kirsch.

The Scotch Labels follow:

An Croc

Talisker, Triple Filtered, Proprietors Reserve, Isle of Skye

Strathisa, 1953

Lagavulin

Aberfeldy, Proprietors Reserve

Cardhu, Proprietors is 60.2 % Alcohol

Since I rarely drink any Scotch Whiskey my son saves them for special occasions. I'm not sure if any of these are still being Marketed since, "DCL" was sold to United Distillers a Guinness Company.

This German Liquor was brought into the Family by Sandy's farther, "Jocelyn Walker" who owned a Porcelain Manufacturing Company in Germany called "Kermag" from before the Second World War that was returned back to him when the War ended, where he was introduced the the Black Cherry Cordial.

I hadn't thought about it for years until it was mentioned in the Thread. I'm surprised my son still has some of the Whiskey remaining. i'll be sure to prepare a "Blood and Sand" when I visit.

Irwin :blink::wink::rolleyes:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.