• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nobu

foodboy

Steve:  I've not had the chance to try the crab with creamy spicy sauce, because I am too lazy to get a reservation and consequently only ever eat at Next Door, where that dish is not available.

I'm sure I've had the crab with creamy spicy sauce at Next Door.  Perhaps it has been shuffled on or off the menu?

I prefer the crab to the rock shrimp, which I find a bit on the heavy side.  The squid pasta and oysters on the half shell are the standouts, in my opinion.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies in advance, for my lack of note-taking. I'm a bad, bad Egulleeter.

:angry:

An 8:30 reservation, we were seated within five minutes of arrival at a lovely corner table. Started with the Midori Margaritas: Midoris, Jose Cuervo Gold, lemon and lime juices, straight up. Pale green cusp of summer delicious. Edamame with coarse salt to nibble while we looked over the menu.

The menu - I've got to say, I rarely see so many dishes I want to order. Which made the decision to go omakase very easy.

I'll try to get these down in order:

1) Actic char topped with fried shredded filo, in yuzu sauce, on top of a piece of butter lettuce. You wrap it up in a bundle and eat and get the crispy filo, the (sorry) buttery lettuce, the citrus zing of yuzu and the creamy fish. A terrific mouthful.

2) Japanese yellowtail with caviar and jalapeno, in a spicy/hot jalapeno shallot sauce. I thought the jalapeno a bit overwhelmed the fish, but D. disagreed.

3) Lobster tempura in creamy spicy sauce. Wow. Crunchy, creamy, spicy, and juicy lobster to boot.

4) The classic black cod - topped with foie gras, garnished with tiny grilled Japanese eggplant, fried shiso leaf and pickled onions. Such attention to detail - each garnish could be a centerpiece itself, especially the eggplant.

5) Sushi - included toro, eel, salmon and two others. Served with miso soup with clams. The wasabi picked up our palates again, as did the steaming soup.

6) Dessert: I'll have to consult D. on the proper description of this one. I remember the confit of plums but want to get the terminology right before I venture out on this one.

7) Extra birthday dessert - the famous bento box of molten chocolate souffle with green tea icecream. We loved both items individually - the green tea icecream was so soothing and cool, not just temperature-wise. The cake was appropriately oozing, and swirled together, it was a lovely harmony of hot and cold temps, plus hi and low notes - with the ice cream on trombone and the cake on clarinet.

Marvelous knowledgable service, with humor and expertise. They really make you feel comfortable there. An incredible meal to start the next year!

No photographs? :shock: No notes? :shock:

Thanks a lot, Liza. :angry:

Just kidding. I'm so glad that you enjoyed it. Did you drink wine or sake? If sake, which?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

OK OK you two, let's get back to Nobu. (Happy B'day Liza, btw. You did it up right). I've never been to Nobu (gasps heard from Plotnicki and others). Is it really a transcendant experience? If i go, is there a night that might be better than others (I wouldn't go on the weekend or Monday).? What would the best first Nobu dinner be? Shouldn't miss dishes? What to drink?

Liza,

Nice report. I have had couple of similar experiences. I did not get the foie on the cod (lucky you). However, my main dish was rare seared duck twice (once with foie gras, once without). So there is precedence for this sort of thing. If you do not mind me asking, how much was the omakase that you guys did. Glad you had a good meal - happy b'day.

Remember Nobu spelled backwards is Ubon!!!

UBON is also the name of a NOBU-affiliated restaurant at Canary Wharf in London (and possibly other places?). Many of the same food items are served, including the black cod with miso. (UBON is very close -- 2 minutes' walk -- to the Four Seasons Canary Wharf, in case members visit London on travel and have a choice as to hotels. However, the Four Seasons facility there is sub-par relative to others in the chain.)

The utilization of foie gras with the black cod miso is interesting. One of the appealing aspects about the black cod miso is the smoothness (not in a greasy manner, but with a sense of lusciousness) of the flesh of the cod. Depending on how large the piece of foie gras was and how the inside of it ended up, one could see even greater "softness" in the foie. I wonder what effects the foie had on the sweetness of the saucing/marinade for the cod that is also central to the dish. :wink:

1. Liza that sounded like a wonderful birthday meal. Midori has always given me pause, but I am intrigued, so of course cocktailwise that means I'm at least halfway there.

2. I know every single word to every single song in Oklahoma.

Priscilla

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

• 2 months later...

I am having dinner at Nobu next week. This will be my first endeavor there after obviously hearing and reading so much about it. I love sushi and am wondering if I should stick just to it or venture into other items on the menu - If so which ones? Thanks in advance for your suggestions. :smile:

A.D.S.

Let me caveat this by saying that I'm far from a sushi expert.

I think if you limit yourself to sushi at Nobu you'd be doing yourself a great disservice. The sushi there is quite good, but the great thing about Nobu are the more creative dishes. Things like new style sashimi or rock shrimp tempura (or crab) in creamy spicy sauce are good, interesting dishes and are something you're much less likely to find a better version of elsewhere.

You might want to read through a recent thread about Nobu here.

For a first visit, I recommend omakase. It will give you a good sense of the restaurant's range and signature dishes. Let your server know how much you want to spend per person (omakase starts at $85), and mention any special requests (e.g., specific dishes) or dislikes.

• 4 months later...

I recently had lunch at Nobu in London. They offered a great lunch special called a bento box. It had about five of the special signature dishes for which they've become known. I thought it was reasonably priced at around 20 pounds. Do any of American Nobu restaurants offer this special?

Porkpa

I ate there in November, and the bento box at lunch is 25 pounds (not 20). It's huge, delicious, and worth every penny. I had a small sake (can't remember the price) and a giant bottle of water (4 pounds, I think).

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't eat the sushi bar sushi rolls a la carte. While its good it is not what the place is known for, go for their signature dishes like "new style sushi" and the miso cod.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host