• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

egg bagels

kimmyb72

I like egg bagels too. Both in taste and color. I prefer them for bagel sandwiches because they remind me of challah a bit, because they're both eggy breads.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Egg Bagels are very popular and are sold at practically every one of the literally hundreds of bagel shops in the NYC Metro area--

Why would the yellow color look "unnatural" when egg yolks are the same color?

Edited by menton1 (log)

Nyet to egg bagels.

Bagels are not challah and are not bread.

Challah is nice, bread is nice, bagels are nice.

Fried egg on bagel, no egg in bagel.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Nyet to egg bagels.

Bagels are not challah and are not bread.

Challah is nice, bread is nice, bagels are nice.

Fried egg on bagel, no egg in bagel.

That's why these bagel shops have about 12 varieties....

Have you tried "Everything"? (Requires dental floss!!)

ok, ok i guess i'm just weird!! the yellow color just doesn't do it for me. i think i have issues with eggs in things, like bagels and egg drop soup. i can't even talk about egg drop soup without shivering.

Egg bagels are okay. They aren't a crime like French Toast bagels or Sun-dried tomato bagels or Blueberry. Bagels aren't supposed to be SWEET.

Cinnamon raisin with plain cream cheese is pretty good, though....

Also, I must say that any bagel that tries to immitate a potato chip flavor is a bad idea (i.e. sour cream and onion).

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

ok, ok i guess i'm just weird!! the yellow color just doesn't do it for me. i think i have issues with eggs in things, like bagels and egg drop soup. i can't even talk about egg drop soup without shivering.

I'm with you! Eggs in things gross me out. Bagels and eggs together as one is one big no!

Melissa

They aren't a crime like French Toast bagels

Call me a criminal. I enjoy a good French Toast bagel but I eat it specifically as a dense, chewy and sweet alternative to a donut. Hardly any fat grams and satisfies my morning sweet tooth if I happen to have one on a particular day. That said.... they are bagels in name only and not worthy of a discussion as a bagel per se - only as a low fat alternative to a donut. I revel in my criminality.

What on earth is a French Toast bagel? I hope this means French Toast made with a bagel (maybe even an egg bagel, actually my Favorite bagel, so there!) and not something flavored to taste like french toast, which would in fact be truly unholy.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

i can't deal with egg bagels. the bright yellow color look very un natural for a bagel. egg is something you put on top of a bagel, not in it. any others have thoughts?

I shan't offer you a piece of my rich, eggy french toast made with my (staled on purpose) Challah then. Your loss. :wink:

What on earth is a French Toast bagel? I hope this means French Toast made with a bagel (maybe even an egg bagel, actually my Favorite bagel, so there!) and not something flavored to taste like french toast, which would in fact be truly unholy.

Why it's a bagel made up to impersonate French Toast!

They are far from the only ones, but those criminals at Au Bon Pain seem to serve them. I've occasionally seen them at my local bagel places, since I usally don't frequent Au Bon Pain. Also, it's exactly the kind of crap that Einstein Brothers serves, if I remember right.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Cinnamon raisin are acceptable, but the Panera-style, sugar-caked donut/bagel is not. Sweetened cream cheese is also not cool.

Panera bagels have another problem: they are NOT boiled, so they taste like a roll, not a bagel!! (Same with Dunkin Donuts bagels)

A few days ago one of my co-workers brought (what I thought was) bagels. There were blueberry, strawberry guava, and chocolate. YUCK! My comment was that there were Jews turning over in their graves world wide!