• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adrià on Fast-food

pedro

Here's a link to the NH Hotel's Press Release on the opening of the first Fast Good in the NH Eurobuilding.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 1 month later...

We stopped by there late one morning when we were in Madrid. Rogelio has it well pegged. To be fair it was too early for lunch and they were still stocking the display case so we didn't get to give the food a fair try. We split one of those little marinated tuna with romescu sauce sandwiches everyone is praising and it was very good, but by and large, the food offerings didn't seem like they'd make the place much of a destination. On the other hand, it's probably going to be handly for people in the neighborhood or those using the hotel.

The interior is either striking or garish depending on your taste and esthetic. At any rate it's predominantly green and of a shade that's more reminiscent of plastic than nature. I found the chairs relatively uncomfortable and flexible enough for me not to bet they'd last long under heavy use. There are two large flat screen TVs. I don't recall hearing sound from either display. One screen featured Bloomberg News and the other had some food and travel feature with a very young Marc Veyrat. I wonder if that screen always features a food related program and if it was closed circuit or cable.

I think you had to know it was an Adria project to pay it a whole lot of attention. A visit to the market in Chamartín a little earlier was far more interesting and rewarding as was La Oleoteca de "El Olivio" (C/. Juan Ramón Jiménez, 37) not too far away.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

I gather that he plans to open more than one of these "Fast Good" establishments? My Spanish is fairly abysmal, but that's what I was able to discern. The Fish wasn't much help.
the oil of the freidora changes to newspaper and the Macedonian gives itself with the separate syrup to preserve the texture and the flavor of the fruits during the dwell time in the exhibitor. But we go to the grain: how one eats in a Fast Good?

:laugh:

could someone please translate/paraphrase for the spanish-challenged?

Google's translator does a bit of a hash job, but you can probably still get the gist of the article from it.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

the oil of the freidora changes to newspaper and the Macedonian gives itself with the separate syrup to preserve the texture and the flavor of the fruits during the dwell time in the exhibitor. But we go to the grain: how one eats in a Fast Good?

It says that the olive oil for the french fries(?) is changed daily, and the fruit salad (Macedonia) has it's dressing apart.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

In NY I happen to eat at Pret a Manger very often, almost daily and it gets very boring having the same sandwiches, salads and soups every day. They do not vary, other than the soups, they add a couple of cold soups in the summer. So, in all fairness, I must say that the Fast Good with daily specials works for me. Also, not everybody has 2-3 hours lunch time to have a nice leisurely lunch. Spain, and perhaps mostly Madrid is changing and businesses are running more European or American with hours for lunch 1-1 1/2 hours long. What I did not like was the decor, specially the color used, too green for me. :wacko:

WorldTable • Our recently reactivated web page. Now interactive and updated regularly.

• 2 months later...

That NY times article also mentioned Alfredo's Barbacoa previous reported on by vserna on eGullet a couple of Times.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

I would hardly use the phrase "fast food" to describe a $9.30 hamburger that takes twenty to thirty minutes to reach the table. The idea is interesting but the comparison to fast food seems a bit unrealistic.

That NY times article also mentioned Alfredo's Barbacoa previous reported on by vserna on eGullet a couple of Times.

Actually, NYT superstar Elaine Sciolino misspells the restaurant's name and that of Alfredo's wife, and asserts that they use American beef when (for many years) it's always been Danish beef. Way to go, 'grey lady'! The Jayson Blair legacy seems to live on!

The El Mundo review says that Adrià had the bad luck to set up shop just 150 yards from the place where they serve "perhaps the best burgers in continental Europe." So the comparisons are hurting him...

Actually, his other sandwiches, cold or hot, are much better.

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

Fast? Tried to buy some sandwiches at Fast Good a couple of Sundays ago around 11pm (amazing how sad an empty fridge can look like) and the length of the queue made me went elsewhere. Not a Fast moving queue, btw.

His other joint, El Bulli, wasn't totally bad on Tuesday :raz: .

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

Fast has another meaning in English. It means to go without eating. Perhaps we are misreading the name of Fast Good. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a link to the English version of the Fast Good web site sent to me by fresh_a. I don't think it's appeared here yet.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Interesting site, although it was a little light on specifics. The burger looked good.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Repeat: burgers are disappointing. Other sandwiches can be OK. Go to Alfredo's and have a bacon cheeseburger; forget about arugula and niceties.

For a bacon cheeseburger, I'll stay in the U.S. :smile: I would be curious, though to try Adria's take on the burger, simply because it is Adria's. Of course, that doesn't mean that it is inherently a better burger than Alfredo's. Is Alfredo's bacon cheeseburger special or is it just better than Adria's?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Is Alfredo's bacon cheeseburger special or is it just better than Adria's?

Alfredo is from the Bronx, although he would have liked to hail from Texas or perhaps Nashville. As an off-and-on New Yorker for the past 41 years myself, I can tell you that it's very difficult to get a better burger in NYC than Alfredo makes in Madrid. Good Danish beef, well grilled. Best one I've tasted in continental Europe (and the UK - but I must guess that there are very good burgers in the UK I haven't tasted yet.) And when you are in Madrid and crave a good burger, it's sort of faster and cheaper to go to Alfredo's than to fly to the US, wouldn't you say?

Edited by vserna (log)

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

The discussion in this thread is quoted in a story on Fast Good in elmundovino.com, the web site devoted to wine by El Mundo, the Madrid newspaper. It describes Fast Good's wine offer as "vulgar".

The article also describes eGullet.com as the "primer sitio gastronómico Internet del mundo." Elmundovino has some astute people. :laugh:Gracias, elmundovino and bienvenido to anyone coming here in response to the article.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable