• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Fresh Pasta Topic

Scott -- DFW

Franci, those look lovely.  I've been meaning to get back to making fresh pasta again - especially something filled, like ravioli - and see if I can get the technique down.  Your photos are inspiring.  Thanks for bringing this back up!

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On March 2, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Twyst said:

Ive been trying my hand at home made ravioli quite a bit lately, and while the results have always been delicious, my ravioli are always very wrinkly and shriveled looking when I take them out of the water.  What is causing this?

Air bubbles in the ravioli stretches the dough when cooked, then it falls back down over the pasta resulting in wrinkles.

The ideal ratio is a 2 inch round of dough to 1/2 inch mound of filling.  This gives you enough space to press out the air.

my reference for this is p 79 from Mastering Pasta by Marc Vetri.

• Like 1

Thanks,  Smithy. Ravioli are so versatile and fun to make. If you go back to it, you'll enjoy. My only issue with it it seems I never make enough for my kids :D

7 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Air bubbles in the ravioli stretches the dough when cooked, then it falls back down over the pasta resulting in wrinkles.

The ideal ratio is a 2 inch round of dough to 1/2 inch mound of filling.  This gives you enough space to press out the air.

my reference for this is p 79 from Mastering Pasta by Marc Vetri.

And if you feel there is still air there, take a toothpick and make two tiny holes on the raviolo, at the base of the filling area and press gently to release all air.

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 2

Franci, lovely ravioli!  Can you share your technique for filling and cutting them so uniformly?  I don't have any problems making the pasta, but my ravioli always look a little sloppy.

btw, I really enjoyed the videos you posted on the previous page. I've never seen anyone roll such large pasta sheets before. masterful.

I really like that tray on the right Franci, might need to go order one... Have the one in the center and enjoy it. Highly recommended for speed and ease. 

Recently restarted the fresh pasta kick too. Did a batch of tortellini on the weekend that found their way into some reduced chicken stock flavored with parmesan and nutmeg. Filling was pork shoulder, sausage, prosciutto & mortadella, egg, parm and nutmeg (Classico e Moderno by Michael White). Have recently been rolling out the pasta sheets with a large wooden rolling pin vs using the machine. So far seems to be less finicky and easier to do as a one-man job. 

Added Flour + Water and Mastering Pasta to the bookshelf lately so will likely play with those for a bit.

tort.jpg

• Like 6

Got a new toy, a chitarra.  I think I got a pretty good price, $37.  It's $94 on Amazon.ca.  Sheesh.

Here is my first batch.  Dough is from Mastering Pasta by Marc Vetri and is semolina, egg, and oil.  I was looking the UTube for videos on how to use and especially how thick to roll out the dough.  Sadly most of the videos are in Italian but I did manage to learn the rolling technique.  I rolled my dough out to #3 on the hand pasta roller and it made kinda square noodles which was what I was after.  They took around 8 to 9 minutes to cook.  I'm dieting at the moment and only had a few pieces but DH loved the texture.  The noodles would be a fine base for a hearty ragu.

DSC01247.thumb.jpg.388f051926a7e961ca84b

• Like 8

I made raviole (yes, in this case ends with e) del plin (pinch). Filling not traditional but with what I had available. I just love the texture of pasta with eggs yolks. 

image.thumb.jpeg.9c4b76fae89ec38d54bef47

image.thumb.jpeg.a7bd403ede6370a280eb31f

and some special shapes for a little surprise in the plate for my children (as it was for me when I was little)

image.thumb.jpeg.1a39d454ba12f0c509905d8

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I make my pasta from scratch using half AP flour and half Durum Semolina and farm eggs and extra yolks. Food processor mixing method works great!

Anyone wants the recipe ask here.

• 3 months later...

And now for something a little bit different...

01.jpg

1 1/2 cups AP flour in a food processor. Pulse for 5 seconds to aerate the flour.

02.jpg

Slowly add 1 cup VERY COLD water with the motor running on low. The dough will eventually cohere into a ball.

03.jpg

Turn out onto a floured surface.

Knead a few times.

04.jpg

Flatten into a disk.

Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1/2 hour before using.

22472048832_c82f42e9f6_z (1).jpg

Remove dough from refrigerator and slice off a small section, about 1-inch wide, then slice that in half. Roll both pieces against a lightly floured wooden surface to form tubes slightly skinnier than your pinkie.

22472048612_afd8fd59a5_z.jpg

Cut tubes into segments as long as your thumb is wide.

To begin shaping cavatelli, stick your right thumb up and then turn hand so thumb is pointing left. Maintaining even pressure, use thumb to push a piece of dough forward and up, like an airplane taking off. The dough should spring up and form around the curve of your thumb. Use a bench scraper or knife to transfer cavatelli to a baking sheet covered in parchment paper and sprinkled with flour, making sure no pieces of pasta touch. Continue until all dough is used.

05.jpg

22496451411_62dd127e0a_z.jpg

06.jpg\

If you're wondering why there are multiple photos that don't look the same, that's because I'm showing you pix from two different occasions when I made cavatelli.  It's not something I do often enough which needs to change.  Unfortunately now that I'm in my mid-40s, I don't eat pasta as often as I used to.  But when I do, this is one of my favorite shapes to make.

The amount of cavatelli shown above in the first and third pix is about 3/4 of the total amount of pasta dough I made for that batch. 

Let pasta dry slightly, 30-45 minutes. Laying them atop a sheet of parchment paper will ensure they don’t stick to the surface they’re resting on.

• Like 3

What sort of sauce would be favored for cavatelli, ProfessionalHobbit? Asked another way: what would be the application for this particular dough and shape?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

One of the traditional preps is cavatelli con broccoli e salsicce ("cavatelli with broccoli and sausage").  I'll do that occasionally, instead preferring cavatelli con cavolfiore ("cavatelli with cauliflower") or cavatelli con cime di rapa ("with broccoli rabe").

The technique is pretty much the same.  It's not really a sauce like carbonara or bolognese, so much as it is pasta with vegetables and sometimes meat with a base of olive oil and a battuto/soffrito of onion or garlic and herbs..

• Like 2

Personally, I like cavatelli with roasted bell peppers and Italian sausages (and I make them with a little hand-cranked machine). It's not a pasta shape you see too often but they are delicious!

Edited by FrogPrincesse
typo (log)
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Egg-based pasta is nice but I think the south just doesn't get enough airtime.  The south of Italia that is.

IMG_9224.JPG

1 3/4 cup AP flour, a pinch of kosher salt, 3/4 cup lukewarm water.

Make a well, add the salt, add the water.  With a fork, incorporate the interior of the well into the liquid and continue until you obtain a soft, pliable dough.

IMG_9227.JPG

Dough will cohere. Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead for 10 minutes,.

IMG_9230.JPG

Wrap with plastic wrap and let sit for at least half an hour.

IMG_9233.JPG

To shape the pasta, cut off a chunk and roll with your fingers until you have a cylinder about 1/2" (1 cm) in diameter.

IMG_9237.JPG

Cut into pieces about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" in length.

IMG_9238.JPG

Press your fingertips to create depressions in the pasta.

IMG_9246.JPG

Transfer completed pieces onto a parchment-paper lined cookie sheet to dry until you're ready to cook them.

To cook: simmer in lightly salted boiling water for about 5 minutes or until pasta floats to the top, then lift out with a slotted spoon.

IMG_9249.JPG

IMG_9252.JPG

Strascinati pasta.

This recipe makes enough for 2 servings.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Following a fresh pasta hiatus I recently purchased a set of KitchenAid roller/cutter attachments.  For my first attempt I used the serious eats pasta recipe, though I had to add an extra tablespoon of water to get the dough to come together.  For the second batch I added two additional yolks and skipped the water.  Also per MC I added one percent xanthan gum to the second batch:

XanthanNoodles12292016.png

The noodles were pretty enough and easy to roll out but the texture was discordant.  This might have been amusing at el Bulli but it was not what I wanted for my dinner.

I think I'll skip the xanthan next time.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou