• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Franci

Franci

Thanks,  Smithy. Ravioli are so versatile and fun to make. If you go back to it, you'll enjoy. My only issue with it it seems I never make enough for my kids :D

7 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Air bubbles in the ravioli stretches the dough when cooked, then it falls back down over the pasta resulting in wrinkles.

The ideal ratio is a 2 inch round of dough to 1/2 inch mound of filling.  This gives you enough space to press out the air.

my reference for this is p 79 from Mastering Pasta by Marc Vetri.

And if you feel there is still air there, take a toothpick and make two tiny holes on the raviolo, at the base of the filling area and press gently to release all air.

Franci

Franci

Thanks,  Smithy. Ravioli are so versatile and fun to make. If you go back to it, you'll enjoy. My only issue with it it seems I never make enough for my kids :D

6 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Air bubbles in the ravioli stretches the dough when cooked, then it falls back down over the pasta resulting in wrinkles.

The ideal ratio is a 2 inch round of dough to 1/2 inch mound of filling.  This gives you enough space to press out the air.

my reference for this is p 79 from Mastering Pasta by Marc Vetri.

And if you feel there is still air their, take a toothpick and make two tiny holes on the raviolo, at the base of the filling area and press gently to release all air.