• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Club Soda versus Seltzer

I realize this sounds like an inane question, but when would you use one over the other? Are there particular drinks where one is more suitable than the other?

(Note for those who think they are the same: They are not. Seltzer is just carbonated water, whereas Club Soda has other additives as well, including sodium bicarbonate, sodium chloride, sodium phosphate and sodium citrate in it.)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Hate to say it, but that's one of those things I generally ignore. I use whatever comes to hand.

“The practice is to commence with a brandy or gin ‘cocktail’ before breakfast, by way of an appetizer. Subsequently, a ‘digester’ will be needed. Then, in due course and at certain intervals, a ‘refresher,’ a ‘reposer,’ a ‘settler,’ a ‘cooler,’ an ‘invigorator,’ a ‘sparkler,’ and a ‘rouser,’ pending the final ‘nightcap,’ or midnight dram.” Life and Society in America by Samuel Phillips Day. Published by Newman and Co., 1880.

This is one of the grand mysteries of the univese as to why they both exist in the first place. They do taste somewhat different and have a different mouthfeel, though. I'm wondering if the Seltzer/Club Soda thing is a East Coast/West Coast thing or if it has to do with cultural differences in mixology.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host