• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Electric Fruit and Vegetable Juicers

Mottmott

I need help in deciding which juicer (for vegetables) to buy as a gift for my son. What are the important consideration in selecting one (I've never used one)? I know that he prefers something that is simple to use and clean and doesn't require too much counter space.

edited to clarify: this is to extract juice from vegetables

Edited by Mottmott (log)

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Thanks Joseph. I have checked epinions, but was hoping for some discussion of the way they worked (macerating, etc), and which ones are dependable, take up less counter space, amount of power needed, etc.

Oddly, when I did an eG search for juicers I found nothing.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

My 2 cents...

The Omega juicers are the best. A roomate of mine had one he used everyday (this one)- http://www.epinions.com/content_97661456004 , it doesn't eject pulp, but I never had a problem cleaning it, and omega makes one that does, (via JosephB's link). I also scored a 50's (?) model at an antique store, worked fine, quality built.

Not sure about "macerating", but you want to get the centrifugal spinning kind, like the omega above.

Hope this helped.

Edited by Samhill (log)

• 2 years later...

I am in the market for a juicer/juice extractor to make fresh fruit and vegetable juices on a regular basis. My highest criteria:

- Can make at least 2-4 cups of juice easily

- Does not clog and need cleaning every 2 carrots

- Is easy to clean. I hated an old one I had where it takes 30 minutes to clean the damn mesh from making 1 measly cup of juice, but I guess that is unavoidable…or is it?

- Price range under $200, preferably under 150…or less.

- The ability to efficiently juice citrus would be a plus.

Any one owns one they can recommend? So far seems like this one might be one of the top options. Thanks!

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 2 weeks later...

I was given a Braun about 12 years ago. I've always wanted to upgrade to a Champion or the like, but the damn Braun is like the energizer bunny. I'm troubled that it wastes a lot of the solids but a local chef (Big Country on these boards) served a dish with a "carrot powder" and when I asked him what the heck it was, it was the carrot waste that had been weighing on my conscience, placed in a slow oven and turned to dust. And I thought it was only fodder for my compost pile all this time.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm looking at getting a juicer: not the sort for citrus, but for other vegetables and fruits. Anyone have any recommendations of desired brands, features, etc.? The folks on Amazon appear to like the Breville BJE200XL 700-Watt Compact Juice Fountain quite a bit: anyone here have it?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I own an Omega juicer. I used it probably 25 - 30 times in 5 years. Its a pain in the ass to clean. I always wanted a Champion juicer. Now I realize I would probably never use that one either.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

We have our second Champion. Here's the Champion website. We plumb wore out the first one. That's at least 20 years.

No regrets. No problems. Great machines. Workhorses.

The main reason we use it now is to pulp our dogs' vegetables. They eat pulped greens every day with their meat and yogurt, etc. Of course we have used the Champion for making juices of all kinds, and running through frozen fruits for a kind of sherbet.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Not that it's going to help you much Chris, but the one that I purchased here in Australia is non-centrifugal juicer like a Champion but also minces, stuffs sausages, makes pasta, etc. I use it often.

The link is here.

When compared to my type of juicer, the sort that you linked to tends to underextract juice while simultaneously overheating it through the mechanism used.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I'm looking at getting a juicer: not the sort for citrus, but for other vegetables and fruits. Anyone have any recommendations of desired brands, features, etc.? The folks on Amazon appear to like the Breville BJE200XL 700-Watt Compact Juice Fountain quite a bit: anyone here have it?

I did get one of these but it was not adequate for my needs and for some reason I had problems cleaning it.

I returned it and got the Breville Juice fountain elite because Amazon had a special on it at the time.

I had put it in my shopping cart and one day a notice popped up when I signed on to Amazon, that the price was significantly reduced for three days.

(I've gotten several items at very special prices that way.)

It's much easier to clean and has certainly handled everything I put thru it.

It is much easier to have the pulp in the EXTERNAL container because I save and freeze most of it for later use. My problem with the one in your post was in getting the pulp out of the inner container.

The actual footprint of the elite is not much bigger than the compact, without the two containers, but it is much easier to use and especially to clean.

Juice fountain.JPG

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

We bought another Breville 900 Professional model a few months back and are VERY HAPPY with it... very sturdy, easy to clean, pulp is very dry... one of the best consumer products we've purchased in a long time... particularly given its price. NO REGRETS.

Here's mine. It's used daily for my morning mix of apple, orange, melon and ginger.

I'd echo Nick's comments above about masticating (this sort) vs. centrifugal juicers. Oscar (it's good to have names for one's kitchen equipment!) quietly chews his way through pretty well anything I feed him, and the result is the best juice I've ever had. Centrifugals are much higher speed (Oscar turns at something like 70-80 rpm) and part-cook the juice through friction.

I used Oscar as a sausage stuffer once. Better than trying to do it by hand, but not much ...

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I have a similar unit as andiesenji, just not with adjustable speed you find on newer models. I got it years ago when my inlaws always had tons of tomatoes. Since then they have reduced their crop since they travel so much, and I hardly ever use the machine. It does work very well though, very fast and very easy to clean. They say you can drop a whole apple in, but it has to be a small apple. But still, not having to cut things into tiny pieces is great. You can also make very good orange juice with it, but you have to peel the oranges first. Quick and easy with a knife, and the juice is really nice. I made carrot juice for the French Laundry carrot soup with it last I think. (a wonderful soup by the way, google for the recipe!)

I'm not much for fruits, so I use it (if I use it) for veggies and I can't imagine a better machine. The pulp that's left over is pretty dry, the high rpm really seem to spin out most of the liquid. I should use it much more, with all the great veggies on the market now, but you need quite some produce to produce a good amount of juice. And it's best to make juice fresh, so I'd basically have to have this thing on the counter. I don't so I forget about it, even though it's just on top of a cupboard.

The smaller unit you show is probably quite good too, Breville knows what they're doing. But as mentioned, it's nice to have the "waste" container off to the side (and it's a good size) even though I don't keep the pulp.

I'm not sure if you really need the adjustable speed, to me it seemed they started offering that since other brands marketed it, but maybe it helps with some things.

Oh, I have yet to juice a tomato in it, since the crop shrank I use what we get fresh or in sauces, and at $2.50/lb at the market I don't quite feel like juicing those wonderful heirloom tomatoes. I might try with a cheaper box of damaged/over ripe ones some day though.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog