• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Six YO whisky no longer in fake ID club

So in my parents' great attempt to pawn off anything they don't want on me, I have been the recipient of a number of aging spirits--in addition to an electric crepe maker and some really tacky bicentennial beer steins. They stopped drinking in about 1982, so anything they have would be older than that. I also came into some bottles of questionable age upon my grandfather's passing. (I'm pretty much the only drinker on that side now.)

The 82 stuff includes Kahlua and some Disaronno. The stuff I don't have any clue about the age of includes bottles of a few types of whisky, bourbon, rum (from back when they had paper seals), vermouth and several mini bottles of bourbon, whisky and SoCo (again with paper seals). I went ahead and dove into some unopened Beefeater and Maker's Mark and haven't died. (Obviously :wink: )

I've heard there isn't an age limit on alcohol, but is there a change in flavor? Or is there an age at which you should toss?

Thanks,

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

If the bottles are unopened, and the level of the contents are still up to, or in, the neck of the bottle, the spirit or liqueur should be okay. Sometimes even unopened bottles allow spirits to evaporate a little, and oxidization can occur if too much air gets into the bottle, and it's left there for too long.

Once a bottle of spirits is opened, as a general rule you should try to finish it within 6 - 12 months. Again, this depends on how much air is in the bottle. I once had a rare bottle of Irish whiskey, got down to the last 3 or 4 inches, and decided to save it for a special occasion. By the time the occasion arose, the whiskey was completely oxidized & we ended up pouring it down the sink. Be warned!

“The practice is to commence with a brandy or gin ‘cocktail’ before breakfast, by way of an appetizer. Subsequently, a ‘digester’ will be needed. Then, in due course and at certain intervals, a ‘refresher,’ a ‘reposer,’ a ‘settler,’ a ‘cooler,’ an ‘invigorator,’ a ‘sparkler,’ and a ‘rouser,’ pending the final ‘nightcap,’ or midnight dram.” Life and Society in America by Samuel Phillips Day. Published by Newman and Co., 1880.