• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bartending guide for the perplexed

Fat Guy

My current hypothesis is that, for me, there must be a better spirit for this particular cocktail than gin, rum, or vodka. What are some other candidates? Gin had the firepower to be in the drink, but the specific aromatics were unappealing to me. Would a flavored/infused vodka perhaps be the answer? Are there any close relatives of gin, but without those particular additives?

I don't want to lose the club soda, because I feel it adds a highly desirable effervesence to the drink.

Steven,

Staying with gin, have you tried Tanqueray 10? I really loath the juniper-iness of the spirit and drinking my Christmas tree comes to mind every time I sniff most gins. Tanqueray 10's botanicals are different and I find it rather enjoyable.

My current hypothesis is that, for me, there must be a better spirit for this particular cocktail than gin, rum, or vodka. What are some other candidates? Gin had the firepower to be in the drink, but the specific aromatics were unappealing to me. Would a flavored/infused vodka perhaps be the answer? Are there any close relatives of gin, but without those particular additives?

I don't want to lose the club soda, because I feel it adds a highly desirable effervesence to the drink.

Beans's suggestion about the Tanquerey 10 is a good one -- the 10 is a gin that many haters-of-other-gins (read vodka lovers) actually like.

Another possibility is sliver (blanco) tequila. I'm a big fan of tequila gimlets, so I know it would work for me. Depends on how you feel about tequila.

For a totally different approach, you might keep the vodka but add a splash of grapefruit juice or a shake of orange bitters, either of which would add some complexity.

I'd like to take this a different direction, here, based partially on Steven's professed instinct that specific instruction may work better for him. Hey, that's the way -I- learned. I'd STILL make undrinkable coffee if I didn't use lab equipment to measure it. We all have these blocks, they are just different places on the map.

OK, first of all - I want to show you that while disliking gin is fine (everyone dislikes something) that even things you dislike in their full plumage can make for delight if well integrated. I've made cocktails with gin for people who don't like gin and had them love them. You may not, but then, the cocktail we created for you did sort of "showcase" the gin - as opposed to simply utilizing it in an ensemble piece. I always thought it was way cooler to figure out how to like a bit of everything - in opposition to the connoisseur's stance of rejecting all but the pinnacle of a taste sensibility.

OK, premise stated. The following is the best of ensemble gin use, it is a real recipe - meaning you will measure and you will buy ingredients, just like with a food recipe. Laziness aside, this is the alternate approach to the zen of cocktail preparation.

The drink: the Corpse Reviver #2. Date: probably late Prohibition. Name derivation: Originally envisioned as a morning-after drink to "revive the corpse again", get it? No longer consumed that way, it makes an exquisite pre-dinner aperitif, and it is delicious

The ingedients:

Gin. You have it, use your choice.

Cointreau. You've got it, perfect.

Lillet blanc. You live in NYC, an easy find at a better liquor store. Call first.

Pernod (or Herbsaint, or Ricard, or Absente) also generally available.

And the deal breaker... fresh lemon juice.

The recipe. Not too difficult.

1 oz gin

1 oz Cointreau

1 oz Lillet

1 oz fresh lemon juice.

Combine in an iced cocktail shaker. Now the slightly harder part. Take the pastis (Pernod or equiv.) and pour just a tiny bit into its own cap. Take the cap and dribble 1-2-or 3 drops into the shaker. NO more.

Cap it, shake like hell, strain into a cocktail (Martini) glass.

Taste it.

Did this work better you you?

--Doc. (eidited for spelllink)

Edited by drcocktail (log)

Cool. I actually have some Lillet around, but will have to acquire or borrow some Pernod. Tomorrow is Sunday, which will limit my options, so I'll revisit this on Monday.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'd like to take this a different direction, here, based partially on Steven's professed instinct that specific instruction may work better for him. Hey, that's the way -I- learned. I'd STILL make undrinkable coffee if I didn't use lab equipment to measure it. We all have these blocks, they are just different places on the map.

This brings up an interesting point, Doc...maybe one of the reasons that FG has trouble with mixing cocktails is that he's a cook vs. a baker? Your mention of lab equipment made me think about the idea that people who cook are more creative/free-spirited, etc.--including with their ingredients. Baking is more of a science, requiring (in some cases, or at least at the start) precision measuring--not unlike cocktail creation!

Just throwing it out there...what do y'all think?

Curlz

PS for all of you who bake--this is not meant to start a war. I certainly think that the pastry arts folks are creative!!! It's just different, that's all.

PPS to FG--Those of us who live in NJ have no issue buying alcohol on Sundays! If you haven't already started on other mixology projects, cross the river! :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Yeah but those of us who live in NY have no issue buying clothes and batteries on Sunday. As of a year or so ago, we can actually go to wine shops on Sunday too, but most of them still aren't open on Sunday because no wine shop can be open more than 6 days a week so most of them choose Sunday to close.

I was at Fairway this morning and noticed they had Angostura Bitters, so I bought some. Now would someone please tell me what bitters are?

Also got me some lemons.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Ah Curlz, all we did was cover the "cook" first. That was the zen approach - to feel your way through based on an immediate knowledge of the flavors and characters of the ingredients - the essence of non-recipe cheflyness!

Here we are taking what I characterize more as the French sauce approach. Metaphoric baking works too, certainly.

As with either parallel, we are now moving in the direction of a tried-and-true formula. I do the zen approach fine, and I think so did Steven. That said, in drinks even more than in food (where I am the essence of zen), I love producing a great recipe!

--Doc.

...in food (where I am the essence of zen), I love producing a great recipe!

--Doc.

Our Zen masters are in alignment, Doc. Or something like that... :blink: Cheers! I look forward to continuing my education on this thread.

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I think this might be a good recipe for gin haters (and for gin lovers, too). Doc was the one who first pointed me toward this drink. Text from Joy of Mixology

The Twentieth Century Cocktail

Family: International Sours

Detailed in Café Royal Cocktail Book, 1937, this drink was created by a certain C. A. Tuck. Dr. Cocktail brought it to my attention a few years ago, and I've been mixing and drinking it ever since. The citrus juice acts as a foil to the sweet liqueur in this delightful drink, but it's the mixture of gin and chocolate in this drink that intrigues me. Who would think that these two flavors would have a harmonious marriage? Did C. A. Tuck envisage these flavors before he put the drink together? We'll never know, but however he came up with the formula, nobody can argue with the fact that this drink is a masterpiece.

1½ ounces gin

½ ounce Lillet Blonde

½ ounce white crème de cacao

½ ounce fresh lemon juice

Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

“The practice is to commence with a brandy or gin ‘cocktail’ before breakfast, by way of an appetizer. Subsequently, a ‘digester’ will be needed. Then, in due course and at certain intervals, a ‘refresher,’ a ‘reposer,’ a ‘settler,’ a ‘cooler,’ an ‘invigorator,’ a ‘sparkler,’ and a ‘rouser,’ pending the final ‘nightcap,’ or midnight dram.” Life and Society in America by Samuel Phillips Day. Published by Newman and Co., 1880.

I think this might be a good recipe for gin haters (and for gin lovers, too). Doc was the one who first pointed me toward this drink. Text from Joy of Mixology

The Twentieth Century Cocktail

Family: International Sours

Detailed in Café Royal Cocktail Book, 1937, this drink was created by a certain C. A. Tuck. Dr. Cocktail brought it to my attention a few years ago, and I've been mixing and drinking it ever since. The citrus juice acts as a foil to the sweet liqueur in this delightful drink, but it's the mixture of gin and chocolate in this drink that intrigues me. Who would think that these two flavors would have a harmonious marriage? Did C. A. Tuck envisage these flavors before he put the drink together? We'll never know, but however he came up with the formula, nobody can argue with the fact that this drink is a masterpiece.

1½ ounces gin

½ ounce Lillet Blonde

½ ounce white crème de cacao

½ ounce fresh lemon juice

Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

For me, it's not the gin and chocolate part that sounds weird (whenever I see those little chocolate bottles filled with various liqueuers and liquors, I always grab the Beefeater ones), it's the chocolate and lemon. That combination just doesn't work for me. Maybe this drink will change my mind.

But this means I now have to buy some creme de cacao. Along with some Pernod for the Corpse Reviver.

This could be an expensive thread.

Oh Janet, the 20th Century definitely works. Truth is it pays to be a bit miserly with the cacao. If this drink is made right, the result tastes like a complex but refreshing lemonade and after the swallow, there is this unexpected blush of chocolate. Just a tiny bit tootsie roll-like, but very very clean!

--Doc.

I'm going shopping tomorrow. What else do I need to buy?

Steven, it would take a copy editor to know!

For Gaz and my drinks you still need lemons and Pernod and white (that is to say clear not brown) creme de cacao. I think for both of those drinks, you'll have it all with those purchases.

Do you have measuring apparatti? Jiggers? Maybe you need them too.

We've just gone off on a bitters tangent, never mind us! :rolleyes:

Good Luck! --Doc.

(Jigger edit)

Edited by drcocktail (log)

Is this like civil war or something? I love gin (and Bourbon, and rye, and calvados, and marc, and clairin, and mescal, and rye, and rum, and cognac, and armagnac, and scotch, and tequila) but I hate vodka.

Nah. We are all drinking. Drink what you will. We love. We are in bliss. OOHm shallamahn!

--Doc.

Indeed, Doc!

Must agree that vodka as a cocktail component is low on my priority list. That's not to say that a simple vodka on the rocks is not a very tasty beverage (if the vodka is good enough!) ...

There is no spirit I hate, just spirits that get along better by themselves, and spirits that play well with others.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

WTF is a jigger?

FG, you be pullin' my leg, but I'll letcha. You need a measure that'll give ya measurements from 1/2 oz, 3/4 oz, 1 oz, 1.5 oz. All others you can do in multiples. They come in various styles, i bet you can ask for and locate 1 or maybe 2 little thingies that'll do all of the measurements you need. If not, give me the number of the place you checked and i'll sandpaper their ass with 100 grit paper. Sorry. It's the music again.

--Doc.

WTF is a jigger?

Steven! Didn't you read either of Janet's or my eGCI classes?! :angry::biggrin:

Pictured here: (first item on the left)

evolvingcocktails40_DCE.jpg

From: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=26775

Some recent dicussion here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...=0entry553980

edit: picture fix

Edited by beans (log)

Just wanted to let everyone know that I split off the very interesting side discussion of bitters into its own thread. In case you're wondering where all those posts went, check out this thread.

I'm going to go liquor shopping on Thursday, so there won't be any activity on "the project" between now and then. But as soon as I've got the booze and the equipment, I'll report back. And stay tuned for April 14. More dental work, so I'll totally need several cocktials that day. Not to mention on April 15.

Okay, I got me some white creme de cacao. But now I can't find the damn Lillet. I know I have some. Where did you guys hide it?

Okay, I got me some white creme de cacao. But now I can't find the damn Lillet. I know I have some. Where did you guys hide it?

It's behind the milk....... :biggrin:

(sorry, you have to be a Rita Rudner fan to get that one, but I couldn't resist)

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.