• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

We really, really need more details! They look quite remarkable. 

4kg chopped onions, 3 tbsp oil. Baked in 160dC for a few good hours, scrapping and mixing every so often. Ended up being slightly less than 1 kg.

Added 2 or 3 tbsp brown sugar and 5 tbsp salt to reduce the water activity and help them keep longer.

Also topped each jar with a bit of vodka to reduce mold growth until it's opened (a useful trick for many kinds of fridge preserves).

They taste just like deeply caramelized onion, without the butter taste I associate with them (I almost always caramelize with butter, even in recpies that traditionally use oil). They are a bit firmer than those made in a pan, probably because I didn't deglaze in the process. Quite tasty, before I added additional salt as a preservative. I intended to use them in cooked dishes, but I think they can be used anywhere the salt won't be an issue - e.g. add butter and they're instant pierogies sauce.

shain

shain

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

4kg chopped onions, 3 tbsp oil. Baked in 160dC for a few good hours, scrapping and mixing every so often. Ended up being slightly less than 1 kg.

Added 2 or 3 tbsp brown sugar and 5 tbsp salt to reduce the water activity and help them keep longer.

They taste just like deeply caramelized onion, without the butter taste I associate with them (I almost always caramelize with butter, even in recpies that traditionally use oil). They are a bit firmer than those made in a pan, probably because I didn't deglaze in the process. Quite tasty, before I added additional salt as a preservative. I intended to use them in cooked dishes, but I think they can be used anywhere the salt won't be an issue - e.g. add butter and they're instant pierogies sauce.

shain

shain

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

4kg chopped onions, 3 tbsp oil. Baked in 160dC for a few good hours, scrapping and mixing every so often.

Added 2 or 3 tbsp brown sugar and 5 tbsp salt to reduce the water activity and help themkeep longer.

shain

shain

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Nothing special - lots of chopped onion, a bit of oil, salt. Low oven for a few good hours, mixing and scarping the sides every so often.