• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

to add link to previous post

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Rather than drag any other topic off-topic I thought I would revive this one. 

Elsewhere we have been discussing methods of caramelizing onions. I expressed my opinion that the onions I attempted to caramelize in the slow cooker years ago did not measure up to my expectations.

Today I decided to test out the method for caramelized onions in a pressure cooker following the directions from Serious Eats.  Of course I used my Instant Pot. 

The hardest part of this recipe is peeling and slicing 3 pounds of onions which were each smaller than a racquetball!   Should I decide to attempt this again I will look for much larger onions.  :)

Even after almost 30 minutes of cooking off the excess liquid using the sauté function on the Instant Pot these onions were a far cry from what I expect when I do the same thing on top of the stove.  They were mushy, lacked the colour I expect and tasted overly sweet. 

I will not let them go to waste but next time I need caramelized onions in quantity I will revert to the old-fashioned way of doing them on the stove top. 

I believe this is very much a matter of personal taste and I have no wish to find fault with those who are happy with the results they get using other methods. 

I also tried that recipe for caramelized onions. I think I posted about it over in the Instant Pot topic but never added it here.   I ended up with a large amount of liquid after the pressure cooking step and it took such a long period of stirring on the Sauté function (almost 40 minutes) that the onions had pretty much turned into a paste.  

I was disappointed as I'd been expecting onions, not onion purée and the claim of "caramelized onions in 30 minutes" turned out to be bogus in my hands.  However, I froze it in ice cube trays and it was handy to thaw out a cube or two and get that great caramelized flavor in an instant.  Smeared on a flatbread, sprinkled with grated cheese and broiled - yum!  But it was an onion purée, not caramelized onions.

I went back to my usual oven method for making actual caramelized onions.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

41 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Rather than drag any other topic off-topic I thought I would revive this one. 

Elsewhere we have been discussing methods of caramelizing onions. I expressed my opinion that the onions I attempted to caramelize in the slow cooker years ago did not measure up to my expectations.

Today I decided to test out the method for caramelized onions in a pressure cooker following the directions from Serious Eats.  Of course I used my Instant Pot. 

The hardest part of this recipe is peeling and slicing 3 pounds of onions which were each smaller than a racquetball!   Should I decide to attempt this again I will look for much larger onions.  :)

Even after almost 30 minutes of cooking off the excess liquid using the sauté function on the Instant Pot these onions were a far cry from what I expect when I do the same thing on top of the stove.  They were mushy, lacked the colour I expect and tasted overly sweet. 

I will not let them go to waste but next time I need caramelized onions in quantity I will revert to the old-fashioned way of doing them on the stove top. 

I believe this is very much a matter of personal taste and I have no wish to find fault with those who are happy with the results they get using other methods. 

I also tried that recipe for caramelized onions. I think I posted about it over in the Instant Pot topic but never added it here.   I ended up with a large amount of liquid after the pressure cooking step and it took such a long period of stirring on the Sauté function (almost 40 minutes) that the onions had pretty much turned into a paste.  

I was disappointed as I'd been expecting onions, not onion purée and the claim of "caramelized onions in 30 minutes" turned out to be bogus in my hands.  However, I froze it in ice cube trays and it was handy to thaw out a cube or two and get that great caramelized flavor in an instant.  Smeared on a flatbread, sprinkled with grated cheese and broiled - yum!  But it was an onion purée, not caramelized onions.

I went back to my usual oven method for making actual caramelized onions.