• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leftover bread

ExtraMSG

Breadcrumbs - you can even freeze them.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Tyrolean Bread Dumplings... to serve as a starch side with something having a nice rich sauce. I sometimes make a nice mushroom ragout to serve with...

Usually make with white bread but could be interesting with the ones you mention.

Saute some chopped onions and parsley. Add diced pieces of bread and cook until crisp. Place in bowl. Seperately mix together some milk, eggs and salt and pour over bread and onions. Add in diced, smoked pork or cooked bacon. Blend in flour as needed to form dumplings. Cook gently in salted water.

(can make without meat added; for 1 loaf of bread use about 1 1/2-2 cups milk, 2 eggs, 2/3 cup flour).

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Savory bread pudding, I also enjoy savory chive French toast.

Or you could go the Middle Ages route and use the bread as a thickener/binder for sauces. Have been reading about this lately, but never tried it.

Noise is music. All else is food.

We have a house favorite mushroom soup from an Elizabeth David cookbook that's thickened with bread.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Lots of great suggestions. I'll wait until it starts to go stale before making bread crumbs, though. However, I was thinking about bread pudding, but the sourdough brown is also quite airy. See here:

http://extramsg.com/modules.php?set_albumN...=view_photo.php

And then the other is rye. Would either of these work in a bread pudding?

I'm very interested in the idea of bread soups, dumplings, and salad, also. What would go good with a sourdough or a rye, do you think? Lots of mushroom suggestions, I noticed.

I think tonight I'm just going to do something common with the bread and make a toasted rye sandwich with egg/chicken salad (I'm out of Best Foods, so I'll be making my own mayo, however).

Rye croutons are quite nice on sauerkraut and chopped sausages or kassler.

Also on a poachd egg atop lox.

Or atop sauteed (rare) chicken livers and caramelized onion.

Or go the other way and put the above atop rye crostini.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I have made a white chocolate bread pudding with rye and sourdough before...it is really damn good....

edit: I like Jinmyo's idea of the sauerkraut and sausage with rye croutons...I'm reminded of wurst-salad....hmmmmm

Edited by Bicycle Lee (log)

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

Lots of great suggestions. I'll wait until it starts to go stale before making bread crumbs, though.

You shouldn't. Bread crumbs from fresh bread is much nicer than from stale bread... and I have Mr. Pepin to back me up on this one.

regards,

trillium

I believe you, but I have a ton of bread crumbs right now from my last loaf that I couldn't use up in time. I need to make some things that I can freeze for lunches for my wife. That's why I liked the soup and dumpling ideas, especially. Our PortlandFood.org group is meeting at the Oregon Food Bank tonight, so I won't be making dinner. But tomorrow my wife's family will be in town, so I may be using several of the suggestions to make a variety of bread-based dishes.