• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tapas de Espana

menton1

After being closed for months, the spot on Dean Street's "Luxury Row" where Big Red Tomato and then Pomidoro resided, has had a face lift and reopened as Tapas de Espana. Judging from the outside, they did a wonderful job painting the stucco a golden sand color and adding rounded European-style roof tiles on the facade.

In an area in great need of good restaurants, this sounds like a welcome addition. Has anybody been here, and could you please give us a report? Thanks!

Tapas de Espana

47 North Dean Street

Englewood

I've been to the North Bergen location and its a really good Spanish restaurant. I was unware the spot you are referring to would be their Englewood location, I thought it was on the other side of town, closer to the theatre.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 1 month later...

After reading all of your glowing recommendations on Tapas in Hoboken, I booked a reservation at the new Englewood location last night to celebrate my sweetie's birthday.

Nice atmosphere, attentive and unobtrusive service only added to the delicious food.

We ordered three tapas -- a California avocado salad, fried sweet plaintains and marinated pork cubes. All three were delicious. The avocado was soft and fresh and topped with a lightly seasoned oil. I have a weakness for plaintains, they were just great! The pork, albeit slightly dry, was soft and flavorful and arrived toped with soft red peppers and cubed potatoes.

Then, we shared the Shrimp in Salsa Verde for an entree. It came with chips and Spanish rice. The shrimp was cooked perfectly and was in a salsa verde that was much less overwhelming than those I have tasted in other Spanish restaurants. In fact, although all of our dishes were seasoned with distinctive Spanish flavor, nothing was overwhelming or overdone. I often leave Spanish restaurants feeling as though I am taking the odor of the meal (emphasis on garlic) out the door with me and have a hard time digesting long after the meal is over. This was not the case with Tapas.

We shared a small pitcher of red sangria (next time I'm trying the white) and for dessert had a delicious, creamy flan that had a hint of lemon (no coconut flan offered as I've read about at Hoboken) and a light homemade sponge cake filled with vanilla creme -- it tasted like an extraordinarily good Hostess Twinkie!!!!

The bill, before tip, was $65. That was very reasonable for so much food! I would definitely recommend a reservation, especially on the weekend, since there were only a couple of vacant tables on a Monday night!

The next time we're in the mood for Spanish cuisine, I will return to Tapas de Espana. There is no need to consider anyplace else. :biggrin:

Janbee

Lover of Broadway, beaches and chocolate.

Rachel and I (and her parents) ate at Tapas de Espana in Englewood for mothers day dinner -- although the tapas menu was not avaliable that day, we hit some of the high points -- great Shrimp al Ajillo, Chorizo in a cider sauce, fried calamari, Mariscada Verde, Arroz Con Pollo and Guava Flan. Fried potatoes were thin crispy and perfectly seasoned. All excellent and lived up to the quality of the original location in North Bergen.

Will definitely be returning, and soon.

Be advised that just like the other location, on prime nights the place is VERY loud. The bar area is actually quieter than the main dining room, which seems to have a amplifying effect.

Liquor License, no BYO. Limited but good selection of ports and sherries.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

If you liked their regular flan, janbee, you've got to try the guava flan. The white sangria is excellent (as is the red). Sangria is one of the few alcoholic drinks that I'll actually drink to excess. :biggrin: My parents were surprised at my enthusiasm for it, since they know I hardly drink otherwise!

MY wife and I went this evening and at 7:00 the rest. was 1/4 full. By the time we left at 8:15 it was 3/4 full and you could hardly hear yourself think. We can only imagine what a packed Sat. night must sound like. Terrible accoustics.

That aside we only ordered tapas, 6 in total and they were all good, but besides the shrimp in garlick and white wine none of the others blew us away. We ordered potatoes in a tomato sauce, grilled sardines (overdone) anchovies, red peppers stuffed with cod and an omelet with peppers, sausage, potatoes and onion. All dishes we have had numerous times in Barcelona. Again, okay, no more.

They do have quite a nice wine list with very good choices in the 25/35 dollar range and then some real big hitters. The list had no years for the wines which to me was a bit strange considering the expensive choices. Sorry Rosie but they are not BYOB. It seems that is an important criteria for you.

One downer and I do think that it was an honest mistake but when I added up my bill there was a $10.00 error in their favor. Just goes to prove that you must add up your bill or at times you will get hurt. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen people (including my friends) not look at the bill and plunk down their cc. As they say in the Bronx, "stupido".

For the sake of the good (but no more than that) food and the noise level we will not be going back any time soon.

P.S. The very pretty Sushi rest. next door was virtually empty.

Hank

• 5 months later...

After all the great reviews, I went here with my sister tonight. We started off with the shrimp in garlic and mussels in what tasted like a brandy sauce. Both were excellent. with the shrimp reaching "best ever" status. For main dishes, my sister had a salmon stuffed with crab meat and I had paella. I am not a huge fan of cooked salmon, but her dish was really good. The crab meat was fabulous, the salmon cooked perfectly, and a pleasant sauce finished the dish. The only disappointment was my paella. It wasn't bad, but it was ultra bland. It was just missing something. That being said, the seafood in the dish was very fresh and cooked perfectly. I will try something different next time. I rarely comment on service, but tonight is an exception. This had to be the friendliest staff I have ever seen. They were never obtrusive, but always there when we needed them. I mentioned this site and the manager had me write it down so he could check it out. All in all a very enjoyable meal. The tapas, salmon, and service were all top notch. I look forward to going back, as the menu had lots of things I wanted to try. Total cost w/ tip and 2 sodas was just under $80 for the 2 of us.

We never bother with the paella at TdE. I guess we must have tried it at the North Bergen location at some point, but it's dropped of the radar to us. Instead, we usually order at variety of tapas and (depending on how many people are at the table) just one or two main courses. If we were in the mood for seafood, I'd prefer the Mariscada (Verde) over the paella. If you want a rice dish, you have to try their Arroz con Pollo, amazing -- it is not the same as a paella.

• 2 years later...

Buuuuuuuuuump!

Anyone been here lately? A friend just asked me what I knew about the Englewood location and I had no clue, so I figured I'd throw it out to you all... someone has to have been here since 2004!?! Thoughts/comments? Thanks!

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."