• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ashby Inn

Tee

Now that spring is (finally) around the corner, I've been thinking about making a trip to Ashby Inn, admittedly for both the view and the food.

I live in the city, and don't like driving to restaurants unless the place is really worth it--so what do you think? My thought was that its nice to see a little nature with your food every once in a while.

Thanks!

We went out there for brunch once - it's a lovely drive, and their brunch was worth the trip. Some standard brunch stuff - made to order omelets, waffles, etc. - along with some nice additions. I was particularly fond of the bean and Smithfield ham soup.

I think I'd probably wait a couple of weeks to go until the trees really start blooming - it'll be a much nicer drive for it.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

We went out there for brunch once - it's a lovely drive, and their brunch was worth the trip. Some standard brunch stuff - made to order omelets, waffles, etc. - along with some nice additions. I was particularly fond of the bean and Smithfield ham soup.

I think I'd probably wait a couple of weeks to go until the trees really start blooming - it'll be a much nicer drive for it.

Ditto what Hannah said.

Its a good brunch, but its the setting that is special. That whole area is beautiful--especially in the Fall. Lots of good places to eat too.

Ditto what Hannah said.

Its a good brunch, but its the setting that is special. That whole area is beautiful--especially in the Fall. Lots of good places to eat too.

Ditto what Hannah said.

Ditto what Hannah said.

Thanks--good suggestion on the trees.

I've also been keeping Ashby Inn in the back of my mind as a good place to send my parents this summer for dinner and a night at the Inn for their anniversary.

Does anyone know how Ashby would compare to dinner and and overnight stay at Inn at Little Washington? (Or any other similar combinations). I'm looking to budget around $450.

My feeling is that while Inn at Little Washington may be of higher caliber, its likely more expensive. Am I right?

Many thanks.

I'm neutral on the dinner at Ashby, although for the country drive and setting, it's definitely worth it.

If your budget is $450 for dinner and overnight stay, The Inn @ Wash will break the budget. The Ashby however should fit right in.

Better yet, budget some antiques money for them to buy at American in Paris (the antiques shop next to Ashby). I've got some great stuff there on consignment that I need to move... :biggrin:

I would recommend going for brunch, but not until the summer. The gardens are beautiful when they are in full bloom.

I would sit outside, ofcourse, but make a point at checking the booths inside. There are nameplates attached to some. These people drove threw snow storms to honor their reservation.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe