• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in Oliva/Diamus/Denia region of Spain

BDM

We will be spending 4 days in this region (approx 1 hour S/W of Valencia) the last week in May.

Any dining suggestions would be appreciated. We will have a car and are very flexible. We're traveling with a 9 year old daughter but she has travelled extensively and will eat just about anything except avocados and tomatoes out of season (can't say I blame here there :raz: ) We're not looking for "haute cuisine" just great local fare served in a friendly atmosphere.

We will be staying in an apartment and while I try not to cook too much on vacation I would love to know about any special market days, etc. that we shouldn't miss.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help and I'll report back once we return.

Vaya con dios,

Brian

That appears to be due south or maybe SSE of Valencia. I don't see Diamus on the map. Oliva and Denia are on the coast, or almost on the coast and straddle the provincial borders of Valencia and Alicante. Vserna and maybe others have recommended several restaurants centered around Moraira. A search on their names here and maybe at the http://www.campsa.com site should bring more information. El Poblet (1 sol) in Denia, Casa Pepa in Ondara, Girasol (2 sols), La Sort (1 sol), La Seu (just moved, but a sol in its previous location) and le Dauphin (recommended, but no sol), all in Moraira-Teluada, L'Escaleta (1 sol) in Cocentaina, Casa Paco in Villena and Nou Manolin (1 sol) and Monastrell (recommended) in Alicante comprise the list that I've copied. The number of "suns" (sols) and "recommended" come from this years Campsa Guide. Casa Paco appears to be the place to get an authentic paella--one with rabbit and snails rather than the paella Valenciana with seafood so popular on the coast and José Moll at La Sort, is a pupil of Robuchon.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Thanks for the info Bux. I'll look into that site.

vserna - These three small towns are all located on the coast about 75 KM SSE of Valencia just before the the small penninsula juts out into the Mediteranean. They are basically on the other side of the penninsula from Benidorm.

We've amost always done well selecting little local places once we arrive but I thought that with the apparent wealth of knowledge floating around this site that maybe someone had found one of those "not to be missed" kind of places.

Thansk for your help.

Brian

These three small towns are all located on the coast about 75 KM SSE of Valencia just before the the small penninsula juts out into the Mediteranean.  They are basically on the other side of the penninsula from Benidorm. 

Not "Diamus". There is no town by that name in Spain. You mean Daimús? That's a village of less than 2,000 pop. No interest AFAIK. Jávea, Altea... yes!

Edited by vserna (log)

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino