• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grits Better Than Grits

Richard Kilgore

Here find a wonderful NY Times piece on Glenn Roberts, the man who is restoring heirloom grits, thought lost to modern agriculture. Charley Trotter and Thomas Keller use these Anson Mills grits.

I have some of these in my freezer. Got them at the Napa Dean and DeLuca.

I like the idea of them, but they took hours to cook. I don't think I got the full effect because I was so frustrated by the end.

When I want grits, I want them 20 minutes from now.

amanda

Googlista

I like the idea of them, but they took hours to cook. I don't think I got the full effect because I was so frustrated by the end.

Amanda, the Anson Mills Website lists a "quick" version of their grits that takes only 20-30 minutes to cook.

Richard, thanks for posting the article link. This stuff sounds fascinating!

I wonder what a pressure cooker would do to them?

I have had a few of the different types of grits from anson mills and the War Eagle Mill in Arkansas seems to be just as good for waaayyy less of a price. The mill is actually on the banks of a stream, which turns the paddle, which turns the stone, which grinds the hominy. They are just a little over a $1 a pound! and I use the technique from the anson mills to cook them with less liquid, covered for 1/2 hour then uncovered for another 1/2 hour. Rogers, Arkansas---check it out.

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

Here's another mill, one of only two in Texas apparently: Morrison Milling in Denton, Texas

Not sure that any of the cornmeal would be best for grits, but I did try a package of their Stone Ground Yellow Cornbread Mix. It was so much better than any other mix I have tried that I ordered 15 lbs. of cornmeal (not the mix) from them. I'll ask them about grits.

I think I'll try a small amount of both Anson Mills and War Eagle for the grits.

I cook grits frequently. I've tried several artisan grits - and I don't think they're worth the time and trouble for the average cook. My favorite is Quaker quick (not instant - instant is horrible) grits. Ten minutes start to finish for basic - and you can doctor them any way you want (e.g., cheese grits).

For what it's worth - I'm not sure anyone could tell the difference between Quaker quick grits and any artisan grits in a blind tasting after mixing them with a half pound of cheese and/or a lot of other stuff (which is what I recall was in the New York Times article recipe).

For those of you in the Jacksonville Florida area - you can try artisan made from scratch grits at the Clay County fair - which starts this week (they usually have an exhibit in an authentic cracker house where they give out free samples of foods cooked just like they were cooked 100 years ago - this exhibit will not make you long for the good old days). Robyn

Arrowhead Mills is another Texas based source for organic grain products. They also have grits.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

i've been using anson mills products for nearly five years and i can't seem to find a better source for heirloom grits.............we also use their rice, biscuit flour, cornmeal, hominy and polenta..........i'll go out on a limb and say there isn't and can't be a better product available............

Chef Sean, may I just interject here and say that I dearly want to visit Nashville again and shake your hand? Provided it's not covered in grits. Wait, even that's okay!

Seriously. I miss Nashville.

Your attention to things like those you mention (rice, biscuit flour, cornmeal, hominy and polenta) are just fascinating to me.

(Is there any chance you are kin to the Brocks from Marietta, Georgia?)

And many thanks for the link to the NYT article, Mr. Kilgore.

thanx for the great reply..............i would love for you to come see us in nashville......you should check out our website..........if you like i can get you a great deal on a room if you would like to visit.............seriously..

i don't think know anyone from marietta......but that doen't mean we are not related :raz: ...................call me if you would like to visit

Thanks for your comments, Chefseanbrock. I was quite impressed by the article and planned on trying several of the Anson Mills products. And your recommendations and confidence add to my interest. Among other things, I would like to try their hominy in my posole.

I also have a question. Someone up thread complained that Anson Mills grits take "hours" to cook. What is your experience? Do you use the quick version, or the regular grits? Is their a qualitative difference?

Given what chefseanbrock has said, I am wondering. Has anyone tried cooking these grits in a crock pot?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

thanx for the great reply..............i would love for you to come see us in nashville......you should check out our website..........if you like i can get you a great deal on a room if you would like to visit.............seriously..

i don't think know anyone from marietta......but that doen't mean we are not related :raz: ...................call me if you would like to visit

I've seen the website, Sean. It's gaw-geous, as my mama would drawl. Maybe I can get to Nashville in the autumn when it's not so hot.

ANSON MILLS GRITS TAKES HOURS AND HOURS TO COOK.........AND YOU HAVE TO STIR CONSTANTLY............WE COOK OURS FOR ABOUT 6 HOURS OVER SUPER LOW HEAT........THE RULE IN THE KITCHEN IS.....IF YOU PASS BY THE GRITS YOU HAVETO STIR THEM.....IT IS A SMALL PRICE TO PAY

Thanks for taking the time to do in a restaurant what I would never consider doing at home :smile: . I find that on too many occasions - a restaurant doesn't take the little bit of time to do what I do do at home :sad: .

By the way - at the Fair I mentioned above - they actually make the grits from scratch - i.e., from corn - in a machine that I am sure does not meet current safety requirements for anything (to show how they're made) - and then they cook what they've milled. It does indeed take hours and hours - and the volunteers who work the exhibit are busy stirring for the entire 10 days of the fair! Robyn

i have tried the grits from falls mills....they are very good.....the difference between anson mills and falls mills is how often they mill.....when i called falls mills they said they only mill three times a year......anson mills grinds them when you place the order, they mill every day..........i have also compared the two side by side many times.........the anson mills has an incredible aroma and the falls mills "falls" flat :raz:

chefseanbrock -- what about Fifi's idea above -- doing the grits in a crock pot? Ever tried it? What kind of quantities do you do and what do you do them in? Daily? And what do you do with them after they are cooked?

believe it or not the 20 minute grits are amazing, and i think the crock pot would produce unbelievable grits..........you guys should try the fresh hominy.......it is a great source for corn flavor when corn isn't in season.........or try folding the hominy into your grits!!!!

sean