• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Mexican food

torakris

If anyone asks me what I miss the most about being out of the US, I usually reply Mexican food. It just hasn't caught on here yet. Some friends recommended El Torito in Yokohama a little while back and Iw as really disappointed it was like a Japanese Chi Chi's. I once ventured into a Jaapnese style "tex-mex" :blink: place at World Porters in Yokohama and it was awful. The absolute worst were some tacos I ordered off a menu at a cafeteria style restaurant in Narita airport, don' t even know what I was thinking......

In a different thread Jim said:

QUOTE (meguroman @ Mar 23 2004, 10:19 PM)

With the absence of good Mexican food here, this mixture of carbs and spices will go a long way to curing what ails you.

Have you tried Salsita... just behind Ebisu Station (the Hibiya line one) along the tracks? It's a little place with one four top and maybe eight to ten counter seats.

Salsita

Ebisu-Nishi 1-3-2

5489-9020

Perhaps I'm so starved for Mexican food after living in Seoul that my tastebuds have gone to sleep, but I really liked it. And it's pretty damn reasonable too.

Enjoy,

Jim

I have to give this place a try, especially if Jim recommends it.... :biggrin:

Anything else out there that is decent?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I'm lucky enough to live near a great and fairly authentic Mexican restaurant- the only place I've been to in Japan that uses real corn tortillas. The place is called 'Domingo' and, being out in the suburbs (on the edge of Nerima ward) is a total secret. Will give the address and phone number if anyone wants to venture out this way.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

QUOTE (meguroman @ Mar 23 2004, 10:19 PM)

. . .

Salsita

Ebisu-Nishi 1-3-2

5489-9020

Have never been there, but I noticed their website a while back because it was so impressively detailed in the way that it describes of Mexican cuisine and its regional variations. The owner has clearly traveled around Mexico quite a bit and done a substantial amount of research. It's the best site of any kind on Mexican Food that I've come across in Japan or the rest of Asia for that matter. If the restaurant reflects this, then I'm sure it's excellent . . .

Here's the link:

Salsita

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

skchai:

Thanks for the link to the website. I had never seen this before.

Your comment about the depth of the chef/owner's familiarity with Mexico and its cuisine is right on target. The first time you visit the restaurant, that history of travel and research is immediately apparent. The restaurant is adorned with any number of Mexican items that just couldn't have come out of the inventory of one of those wholesale restaurant decorators that seem to have created every annoying theme resaurant in existence. The place is tiny, so it won't take you long to see everything, but make sure you walk to the back by the one table, go to the loo, etc. Everything from old Mexican books to movie posters to dance of the dead representations to Our Lady of Gaudeloupe devotional items are tucked away in this place and that.

By the way, the food shows a similar level of fascination and commitment. I'll be there again this Saturday night.

Enjoy,

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

I'm lucky enough to live near a great and fairly authentic Mexican restaurant- the only place I've been to in Japan that uses real corn tortillas. The place is called 'Domingo' and, being out in the suburbs (on the edge of Nerima ward) is a total secret. Will give the address and phone number if anyone wants to venture out this way.

Good lord. I have to butt in here out of burning curiosity and ask what the other places use in lieu of corn...

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 1 year later...

I finally made it to Salsita! :biggrin:

The place really is tiny only 14 seats (10 of them counter) and the whole place, kitchen area included, is smaller than my living room.

I loved it and can't wait to go back. We started off with a mojito for myself and beer with lime for my husband while we nibbled on incredible guacamole and homemade chorizo that I am still dreaming about. The chorizo was served with homemade pickles that included Japanese vegetables like myouga and daikon.

We then ordered the zucchini pudding, sort of a cross between a souffle and a quiche that was my favorite dish. I wish I had paid more attention to what kind of cheese he put inside, I am going to try to duplicate this at home. We then ordered the cowboy beans (kidney bean and bacon dish) that was better than I have ever made :hmmm: and the pork carnitas that were so good it was almost a waste to wrap them in the corn tortillas...

I wish I had taken my camera but my purse was too small....

The price was very reasonable and I can't wait to get back and try the rest of the menu.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I finally made it to Salsita! :biggrin:

The place really is tiny only 14 seats (10 of them counter) and the whole place, kitchen area included, is smaller than my living room.

I loved it and can't wait to go back. We started off with a mojito for myself and beer with lime for my husband while we nibbled on incredible guacamole and homemade chorizo that I am still dreaming about. The chorizo was served with homemade pickles that included Japanese vegetables like myouga and daikon.

We then ordered the zucchini pudding, sort of a cross between a souffle and a quiche that was my favorite dish. I wish I had paid more attention to what kind of cheese he put inside, I am going to try to duplicate this at home. We then ordered the cowboy beans (kidney bean and bacon dish) that was better than I have ever made :hmmm:  and the pork carnitas that were so good it was almost a waste to wrap them in the corn tortillas...

I wish I had taken my camera but my purse was too small....

The price was very reasonable and I can't wait to get back and try the rest of the menu.

Kristin:

Glad you enjoyed it. I was there again last Wednesday night with an American friend now living in Paris who was starved for good Mexican food. He was similarly thrilled.

You ordered two of the items that I order every time I go, the boudin (zucchini pudding, like a crustless quiche) and the carnitas. In the winter, the boudin is made with mushrooms and is equally good. Other regular items for us are either the chicken or enchiladas with mole pablano and the camarones (the shrimp with garlic). We've tried a bunch of things, pretty much all of them good. Only disappointment was the taquitos. Oh yeah, the mojitos rock (as do the margaritas).

I probably go once a month. The food is good, the price is right, and it's a twenty minute walk from my house.

Glad you enjoyed it,

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

Good lord. I have to butt in here out of burning curiosity and ask what the other places use in lieu of corn...

I guess I missed this the first time.

Other places in Japan I've been to use flour for their soft tortillas. It's not that strange, is it? I'm pretty sure that (non-authentic) soft tacos/enchiladas etc back in Canada are always made with flour tortillas too. Weren't flour tortilla "wraps" popular for a while?

As for Salsita, it sounds great. My sister-in-law returned from America a few years ago and now lives near Ebisu. She really misses Mexican food, and apparently doesn't know about this place, so I'd love to take her.

Thanks for the recommendation!

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

• 2 years later...

sorry to revive an old thread, but I found a great little Mexican place, seats about 25-30, on the north side of Tokyo. It's called El Sol, and the owners are a friendly Mexican woman and her family. And she speaks speaks English Spanish and Japanese.

My friend and I split Chicken enchiladas, the mexican combo (2 beef tacos, chili con carne, rice and beans) and an order of pork tacos (on soft corn tortillas). She got a cream soda and I got a ginger ale and the bill was 3700 yen, and we were stuffed. The flavor really reminded me of what I used to eat when I was lived on the border of Texas and Mexico (texico?) The mexican combo (1250 yen) is pictured below.

gallery_40524_5699_50326.jpg

The menu had a lot of selections with pictures. After talking with the owner, I asked her why they didn't have chilaquiles (one of my favorite dishes), and she she said that it used to be on the menu, but nobody ordered it, but then she gave me the business card and told me to call ahead next time and she would make them for me, because it's one of her favorite dishes too.

There are 2 locations now, the original is a 5-7 minute walk from Umejima station on the Tobu Isesaki line, cross at the crosswalk from the station exit, turn right ( walk past the sunkus convenience store) and keep on going, it'll be the bright yellow place on the left.

The new location is near the Ito Yokado store at Nishiarai station on the same line, she said they wanted a second larger place because they want to do music and dancing. Sounds fun!

Anyone ever been to La Colina in Tokyo? I read in this article that Princess Masako got grief for going there and having a 13 dish menu for 10,000 yen.

El Sol looks good! Nothing remotely Mexican in this part of Japan.

Edited by buffy (log)

• 4 weeks later...
There are 2 locations now, the original is a 5-7 minute walk from Umejima station on the Tobu Isesaki line, cross at the crosswalk from the station exit, turn right ( walk past the sunkus convenience store) and keep on going, it'll be the bright yellow place on the left.

The new location is near the Ito Yokado store at Nishiarai station on the same line, she said they wanted a second larger place because they want to do music and dancing. Sounds fun!

I went to the second location (The nishiarai location) and it wasn't good. We had such high expectations from the original EL SOL (at Umejima Station) because the food was so good and fresh. At the nishiarai location, the portions were smaller and the beans tasted as if they were from a can. Nothing tasted fresh. The prices were lower than the original, but since the portions were smaller, it wasn't worth it. My friend paid 840 yen for a small plate of chips with a spoonful of salsa and a spoonful of guacamole, and she commented that her guacamole was better. The Nishiarai location was just bad. It's a pity too, because that location is more convenient, but it's worth the hassle to go to the Umejima store.

Just outside the Yokosuka base there are a few Mexican places (easiest to come into Shioiri Station on the Keikyu line). Having just come from San Diego (and had more than a few passionate arguments on The Best Taco Stand In San Diego), here are my thoughts:

#1. Tsunami's - I can't speak to the bar upstairs, but the restaurant is my favorite Mexican in town. The owner is a Japanese guy who loves surfing in Ensenada, and it really shows that he's been there a ton and knows the food. He even has a proper California burrito! It's expensive, and not open as late as the others, but it's far and away my favourite, and there's also a takeaway counter. The restaurant features a large TV playing the Discovery Channel and a trendy looking bar with overpriced drinks, but it's Yokosuka, and that's pretty normal.

#2. Surf Taco - Surf Taco shares a counter with the Chu-Hi Stand, so if you go late at night you'll be jockeying for a stool with thirsty sailors. It's just a counter, but they do takeaway, good tacos, awesome counter folks, and was the first place I ever had taco rice. Quite decent, I'd go there more if it wasn't so crowded at night.

#3. Cantina's - Cantina's most valuable feature is that it's open until 3 or 5 in the morning and has food. Even better than the pita stand, you can sit down. I don't eat at Cantina's unless it's after last call and my friends and I are hammered.

#4. Galley Snack Bar - Just Don't. Go to Beef Bowl instead.

* Note - Mike's Mexican just opened a month or two ago, and I've yet to investigate it.